First engine pull

Old February 9th 05, 07:25 AM
Billy Bad Assr©

> Billy isn't quite the badass he believes he is...magnaflux does not use
> "small metal MAGNETIC particles" to bring out cracks....iron powder....the
> metal testing needs to be ferrous(look it up) to work with magnetic particle
> inspection....you won't find much iron in an aluminum cylinderhead therefore
> the part needs to be blasted or sonic cleaned the use a dye penetrant test

Your using the search engine too much!!! It's not a large issue -- you can use
the magnaflux method -- do you work for a living -- let me give you a little
back ground >> I run my own shop in Southern California and carry the ASE
certification of Master Tech for the past 17+ years -- been running my own shop
for the past 25+ years -- 9 techs work here. No, I don't specialize in VW's. We
do however specialize in German Made Autos. And I happen to use magnaflux crack
check for all aluminum alloy (not magnesium) heads and cases -- We do have a
black light method as well -- speak to a sales person and they will explain the
process for you - I have been using this process for 20+ years now!

> on the surface....before you shoot off your mouth, especially to someone
> that has more experience than you(I.E.Jim Abney) you should do your
> homework...

no problem here pal

>.you have looked damn silly several times in the last few
> days...

I have! <shocked look> when??

BBA

Old February 9th 05, 07:32 AM
Billy Bad Assr©

> dye penetrant....common for nonferrous metals such as aluminum or
> magnesium...you surely aren't confusing the name "magnaflux" with the
> process that has become known as "magnafluxing" are you?(

<Gasp> OMG -- FUDGE, yer right!

I have a can of the stuff rite here -- says right on the can "Magnafluxing"!!!!

BBA

Old February 9th 05, 07:46 AM
Billy Bad Assr©

I apolagize - I fugged that one up!!!

Old February 9th 05, 07:54 AM
Billy Bad Assr©

BBA
°?°
RMRL FAQ -- http://www.faqs.org/faqs/models/rc-cars/newbie-guide/
BBA's RC Site - http://www.billybadassrc.com
When Privacy Matters -- http://www.epic.org
"Joey Tribiani" > wrote in message

> [...]

> process that has become known as "magnafluxing" are you?(note: Magnaflux is
> the brand name of the top producing magnetic particle inspection equipment
> for the past five decades, hence the "xerox" syndrome)
>

> > 1). Keep those injectors in a clean place
> >
> > 2). Make sure that you mark each piston rod -- each rod should depict the
> > cylinder # as well the direction in the case -- create a mark on both the

> end
> > cap and the rod to ensure that the cap gets back to the correct rod! --

> Don't
> > mismatch rod caps

> the factory rods have cast in marks for "direction"...no need to mark for
> that...
>

> > 3) Make sure that you remove all the main bearing as well as rod bearings
> >
> > 4) The alternator pulley shaft has a "half moon" key -- don't loose it! --

> use a
> > large screw driver - angle it -- tip is on pulley @ a slight angle. Use a

> large
> > mallet, hit the end of screw driver handle HARD several times -- should

> come
> > right off - a puller will take an hour to remove pulley -- screw driver

> method
> > takes minutes

> 4b) buy new pulley to replace bent one from using procedure "4"
>

> > 5) Have the crankshaft mains checked for size and roughened -- use 320

> grit
> > emery clothe - procedure is known as "crankshaft blue-printing"

> "checked for size and roughened" does not equate "crankshaft
> blue-printing"...you are "apparently misinformed"....
>

> > 6) use 10mm off-set wrench to remove oil cooler (2 nuts) don't use water

> > clean out - use gasoline only

> good luck stretching that 10mm wrench around the nuts on a 75's oil
> cooler...make a video, i wanna see it....are you perhaps "misinformed"?
>

> > 7) There are 4 possibly 5 main bearing pins -- use vise grips to remove --

> don't
> > loose them!!!

> hell you think you know the rest of it, pick a number and stick to it, even
> if its wrong(stating wrong info hasn't been a problem for you so far)
>
> > 8) make sure that you remove oil pressure check valves and their springs
> >
> > 9) your heads valve guides/seats were made for leaded gasoline -- have

> them R/R
> > to Unleaded type

> "apparently misinformed"....."You don't know what it is that your talking
> about" the heads on every vw aircooled head after approximately 1965 had
> hardened valve seats for use with unleaded gasoline....
> >
> > 10) if you have the head rebuilt (I recomend that yuou do) -- have the

> exhaust
> > valves replaced with new ones
> >
> > can't think of anything else

> maybe go to a shop and ask em to "magnaflux" the heads...then run off when
> they start laughing?
>
> sure hope Remco does his homework instead of just believing everything you

I don't need this -- I came here to HELP!!! --- I have better things to
do.........

Old February 9th 05, 07:43 PM
cloud8

"Remco" > wrote in news:1107882491.281602.314200
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> the case needs to be line bored, where (near CT)
> would I get this done?

Where "near" Connecticut? You might see if Simplex Engine
in Providence will do it.

--
Bill Merrill
Arlington, Mass.
Old February 10th 05, 01:20 AM
Joey Tribiani

"Billy Bad Assr©" > wrote in > Your
using the search engine too much!!! It's not a large issue -- you can use
> the magnaflux method -- do you work for a living -- let me give you a

little
> back ground >> I run my own shop in Southern California and carry the ASE
> certification of Master Tech for the past 17+ years -- been running my own

shop
> for the past 25+ years -- 9 techs work here. No, I don't specialize in

VW's. We
> do however specialize in German Made Autos. And I happen to use magnaflux

crack
> check for all aluminum alloy (not magnesium) heads and cases -- We do have

> black light method as well -- speak to a sales person and they will

explain the
> process for you - I have been using this process for 20+ years now!

no search engine used...sorry to disappoint...having worked in a
machine/fabrication shop for several years, i know my way around...if you
are magnafluxing aluminum heads there is a good chance you are missing the
cracks you are looking for...

> >.you have looked damn silly several times in the last few
> > days...

> I have! <shocked look> when??

lots of misinformation in your posts...from distributor to
magnafluxing...haven't paid particular attention to your posts because of
the misinformation....

Old February 10th 05, 01:23 AM
Joey Tribiani

"Billy Bad Assr©" > wrote in message
> > dye penetrant....common for nonferrous metals such as aluminum or
> > magnesium...you surely aren't confusing the name "magnaflux" with the
> > process that has become known as "magnafluxing" are you?(

> <Gasp> OMG -- FUDGE, yer right!
>
> I have a can of the stuff rite here -- says right on the can

"Magnafluxing"!!!!

> BBA

try to bull**** someone that doesn't know better....it does NOT say
"magnafluxing" on the can it says "Magnaflux" which is the ****ing brand
name....as i explained...maybe a reading comprehension class is in
order?....please don't try to **** with someone that actually knows you are
full of it....

Old February 10th 05, 01:24 AM
Joey Tribiani

"Billy Bad Assr©" > wrote in message

> I don't need this -- I came here to HELP!!! --- I have better things to
> do.........

by spreading misinformation? if you can't handle being corrected, then
please do your homework first...

Old February 10th 05, 02:01 AM
Joey Tribiani

> > > dye penetrant....common for nonferrous metals such as aluminum or
> > > magnesium...you surely aren't confusing the name "magnaflux" with the
> > > process that has become known as "magnafluxing" are you?(

> > <Gasp> OMG -- FUDGE, yer right!
> >
> > I have a can of the stuff rite here -- says right on the can

> "Magnafluxing"!!!!
> >
> > BBA
> >

> try to bull**** someone that doesn't know better....it does NOT say
> "magnafluxing" on the can it says "Magnaflux" which is the ****ing brand
> name....as i explained...maybe a reading comprehension class is in
> order?....please don't try to **** with someone that actually knows you

are
> full of it....

don't make me walk to the basement again....thats not cool...

http://hometown.aol.com/bugninva/myhomepage/photo.html

Old February 10th 05, 06:02 AM
Jim Adney

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 20:17:29 -0800 "Billy Bad Assr©"

>> >you find cracks? Any auto repair place has it, I take it?

>> Magnaflux only works on magnetic materials like steel. Won't show
>> anything on aluminum or magnesium.

>Apparently misinformed!!!
>
>You don't know what it is that your talking about
>

>> There are other techniques which do work on non-magnetic materials,
>> however.
>>

>Again, misinformed!!!

Like dye penetrant techniques, for example.

>Magnaflux uses small metal MAGNETIC particles to bring out the cracks!!!!!

That's correct, but those magnetic particles follow the field lines
that pass thru the part being inspected. If there is a crack in the
part, AND if that part is made of a magnetic material, then the field
lines will be distorted and concentrated at the edges of the crack and
the magnetic particles will concentrate there.

If the part is non-magnetic, then the the field lines don't even see
it, so they won't be distorted and they can't show anything.

To be fair, this is the way it would work if the field was DC, but I
can imagine a different end result if the field was AC. An AC field
would generate eddy currents in a non-magnetic material if it was a
conductor. This might well create something visible at a crack, but a
lot depends on the skin depth in the material and whether the field
can penetrate enough that it can exit near a crack.

Accepting the fact that I may have misunderstood something here I
googled on magnaflux and found this FAQ at the Magnaflux Corp's web
site:

http://www.magnaflux.com/library/faq_mag.stm

which starts with this comment in their FAQ:

>What is Magnetic Particle Inspection?

>A nondestructive test method which provides for the detection of linear, surface and near surface >discontinuities in ferromagnetic (material that can be magnetized) test materials.

and this one:

>What are the limitations of magnetic particle inspection?

>Test material must be ferrous

Perhaps you need to be more careful in your critism in the future, as
jumping to conclusions like this tends to make you look foolish.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA