replacing the soft top...

Old July 13th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
GinoS

Default replacing the soft top...

My 91 BRG soft top finally gave in and snapped the zipper on the soft
top. Most local shops want a lot to replace a $20 zipper ( all in the
removal and replacement ) of the top. As the top is in very good
condition, I thought to remove and then replace it myself and save a
few hundred dollars. However, I have tried to find comprehensive
directions on how to do this without luck... Can any of you point me in
the right direction? Thanks in advance!

Old July 13th 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

"GinoS" > wrote in
ups.com:

> My 91 BRG soft top finally gave in and snapped the zipper on the
> soft top. Most local shops want a lot to replace a $20 zipper (
> all in the removal and replacement ) of the top. As the top is in
> very good condition, I thought to remove and then replace it
> myself and save a few hundred dollars. However, I have tried to
> find comprehensive directions on how to do this without luck...
> Can any of you point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!

www.miata.net

If it's not there, it probably isn't anywhere.
Old July 14th 06, 06:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

GinoS wrote:
> My 91 BRG soft top finally gave in and snapped the zipper on the soft
> top. Most local shops want a lot to replace a $20 zipper ( all in the
> removal and replacement ) of the top. As the top is in very good
> condition, I thought to remove and then replace it myself and save a
> few hundred dollars. However, I have tried to find comprehensive
> directions on how to do this without luck... Can any of you point me in
> the right direction? Thanks in advance!

Removing and re-installing the top takes a while and is not the easiest
job. I would give this zipper rescue kit a try first. I am about to need
one myself.

http://miata.net/garage/zipper.html

Pat
Old July 14th 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
GinoS

Thanks Pat, but my zipper has actually ripped out...

Old July 14th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article .com>,
"GinoS" > wrote:

> Thanks Pat, but my zipper has actually ripped out...

Sew the window closed, then waterproof the needle holes with tent seam
sealant. When you drop the top, put a rolled-up towel into the window
fold to prevent creasing. I've been doing this for years, since my
zipper failed (I didn't have to sew it, but it will never be unzipped
again). So have folks with rollbars.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old July 14th 06, 08:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Lanny Chambers > wrote in
:

> Sew the window closed, then waterproof the needle holes with tent
> seam sealant. When you drop the top, put a rolled-up towel into
> the window fold to prevent creasing.

Question is does the OP have a plastic or glass window? My guess is
that it may be glass, the extra weight will cause them to rip out (ask
me how I know this!) but a plastic window will usually just crack or
discolor.

Old July 14th 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Lanny Chambers wrote:

> Sew the window closed, then waterproof the needle holes with tent seam
> sealant. When you drop the top, put a rolled-up towel into the window
> fold to prevent creasing. I've been doing this for years, since my
> zipper failed (I didn't have to sew it, but it will never be unzipped
> again). So have folks with rollbars.

That is what I usually do, but I do sometimes drop the back window
because I am an idiot that lives in central Texas with a miata that has
no A/C, and opening three windows with the top up for shade makes it
just a bit more bearable during the hottest part of the days in summer time.

That is my only consolation about the rollbar not being compatible with
glass windows.
On any M1 miata with A/C that is compatible, a glass window top would be
one of my first upgrades.

Pat

Soft top Starr Jeep 4 May 10th 06 07:12 PM
Soft top and paint care Amanda Ford Mustang 7 February 10th 06 06:07 AM
Soft brake persists after Brake Fluid Flush. [email protected] Honda 12 June 18th 05 02:29 AM
2004 TJ Replacing full hard doors with full soft doors [email protected] Jeep 1 April 20th 05 06:06 PM
Adjusting Bestop soft upper doors fit? Rich M Jeep 2 January 23rd 05 07:02 AM