Headlight Relay, '91 Dodge Caravan

Old July 10th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers
Jitney

Default Headlight Relay, '91 Dodge Caravan

1991 Dodge Caravan, When I turn on the headlight switch, the running
lights come on but not the headlights, until I pull the turn indicator
up, and the high beams come on, but only if you hold it, and the lows
never come on. I described the problem to the auto parts store tech and
he recommended that I get a headlight relay, looks like a 1 1/2-2 inch
aluminum cylinder with three prongs sticking out, and I don't even know
where it goes. I'm used to working on my '64 Ford truck, much simpler.
Any ideas?-Jitney

Old July 10th 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers
John A. Weeks III

In article .com>,
"Jitney" > wrote:

> 1991 Dodge Caravan, When I turn on the headlight switch, the running
> lights come on but not the headlights, until I pull the turn indicator
> up, and the high beams come on, but only if you hold it, and the lows
> never come on. I described the problem to the auto parts store tech and
> he recommended that I get a headlight relay, looks like a 1 1/2-2 inch
> aluminum cylinder with three prongs sticking out, and I don't even know
> where it goes. I'm used to working on my '64 Ford truck, much simpler.
> Any ideas?-Jitney

Headlight relay would be a great place to start, assuming this
buggy has one. They are cheap, and you probably should be
changing it out by now even if it wasn't bad. If that isn't
it, then the next suspect would be the headlight switch or
the bright/dim switch. If either of these are in your steering
column, don't mess with it if you are not aware of how to work
around an air bag.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Old July 10th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers
Shawn Hirn

In article .com>,
"Jitney" > wrote:

> 1991 Dodge Caravan, When I turn on the headlight switch, the running
> lights come on but not the headlights, until I pull the turn indicator
> up, and the high beams come on, but only if you hold it, and the lows
> never come on. I described the problem to the auto parts store tech and
> he recommended that I get a headlight relay, looks like a 1 1/2-2 inch
> aluminum cylinder with three prongs sticking out, and I don't even know
> where it goes. I'm used to working on my '64 Ford truck, much simpler.
> Any ideas?-Jitney

Try posting your question on the rec.autos.makers.chrysler newsgroup or
check the appropriate shop manual for your vehicle.