Caravan 1989, 3.0, electrical problem with dash and radio

Old July 6th 06, 04:57 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
[email protected]

Default Caravan 1989, 3.0, electrical problem with dash and radio

Hi all,
I have this rediculous electrical problem. it is a Dodge Caravan LE
3.0L Overdrive Trans
my dash meters missbehave sometimes, and my radio is in mono.

the RPM sometimes falls like the engine is off and somes back when i
hit it, or hit a bump. and My coolant temp is flicking side to side,
and my oil pressure sometimes goes to low, the Check gages light comes
on sometimes. I took it apart, even replaced the RPM gage, This tells
me that the RPM is a contact problem somewhere behind the dash, and the
others are a short somewhere in the car.

The radio was missing when i got the car, the wires were there, so i
soldered the connectors from my other caravan 89 and installed the
radio from the other van aswell, it plays in mono and really bad, you
can't distinguish what the words are. Could it be that the speakers ar
8ohm and the radio is for 4ohm, what can i do to fix this?

please anyone had experience with wiring. The car is old so i'm
thinking it could be a worn wire, the inside wiring is in Ok shape
wasn't touched much before.

i like this place, not much activity but no matter, someone is out
there with the answer just waiting for the right question to pop up.
thanks
Ilia

Old July 7th 06, 03:11 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
[email protected]

ok another false alarm,
my sigarett lighter was out too, when i traced the problem to a blown
fuse, it also fixed the radio, not sure how, probably uses same poser
line as the lighter, i'll see if this fixed the dash problem aswell,
going for a drive today, let you all know.
also after changing the fuse, i have a fault code come up, 12 and 15, i
wonder if this is because i too out a couple of fuses to see if they
are ok, or this is because my Cat is caput.
anyone had experience with trouble code 15?
any help will be apreciated, thanks
Ilia

Old July 7th 06, 08:50 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> ok another false alarm,
> my sigarett lighter was out too, when i traced the problem to a blown
> fuse, it also fixed the radio, not sure how, probably uses same poser
> line as the lighter, i'll see if this fixed the dash problem aswell,
> going for a drive today, let you all know.
> also after changing the fuse, i have a fault code come up, 12 and 15, i
> wonder if this is because i too out a couple of fuses to see if they
> are ok, or this is because my Cat is caput.
> anyone had experience with trouble code 15?
> any help will be apreciated, thanks
> Ilia
>
> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I have this rediculous electrical problem. it is a Dodge Caravan LE
> > 3.0L Overdrive Trans
> > my dash meters missbehave sometimes, and my radio is in mono.
> >
> > the RPM sometimes falls like the engine is off and somes back when i
> > hit it, or hit a bump. and My coolant temp is flicking side to side,
> > and my oil pressure sometimes goes to low, the Check gages light comes
> > on sometimes. I took it apart, even replaced the RPM gage, This tells
> > me that the RPM is a contact problem somewhere behind the dash, and the
> > others are a short somewhere in the car.
> >
> > The radio was missing when i got the car, the wires were there, so i
> > soldered the connectors from my other caravan 89 and installed the
> > radio from the other van aswell, it plays in mono and really bad, you
> > can't distinguish what the words are. Could it be that the speakers ar
> > 8ohm and the radio is for 4ohm, what can i do to fix this?
> >
> > please anyone had experience with wiring. The car is old so i'm
> > thinking it could be a worn wire, the inside wiring is in Ok shape
> > wasn't touched much before.
> >
> > i like this place, not much activity but no matter, someone is out
> > there with the answer just waiting for the right question to pop up.
> > thanks
> > Ilia

The code 15 is your vehicle speed sensor, does the speedometer work??

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler tech

Old July 7th 06, 10:14 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
flobert

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 15:50:54 -0400, "maxpower" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>> ok another false alarm,
>> my sigarett lighter was out too, when i traced the problem to a blown
>> fuse, it also fixed the radio, not sure how, probably uses same poser
>> line as the lighter, i'll see if this fixed the dash problem aswell,
>> going for a drive today, let you all know.
>> also after changing the fuse, i have a fault code come up, 12 and 15, i
>> wonder if this is because i too out a couple of fuses to see if they
>> are ok, or this is because my Cat is caput.
>> anyone had experience with trouble code 15?
>> any help will be apreciated, thanks
>> Ilia
>>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> > I have this rediculous electrical problem. it is a Dodge Caravan LE
>> > 3.0L Overdrive Trans
>> > my dash meters missbehave sometimes, and my radio is in mono.
>> >
>> > the RPM sometimes falls like the engine is off and somes back when i
>> > hit it, or hit a bump. and My coolant temp is flicking side to side,
>> > and my oil pressure sometimes goes to low, the Check gages light comes
>> > on sometimes. I took it apart, even replaced the RPM gage, This tells
>> > me that the RPM is a contact problem somewhere behind the dash, and the
>> > others are a short somewhere in the car.
>> >
>> > The radio was missing when i got the car, the wires were there, so i
>> > soldered the connectors from my other caravan 89 and installed the
>> > radio from the other van aswell, it plays in mono and really bad, you
>> > can't distinguish what the words are. Could it be that the speakers ar
>> > 8ohm and the radio is for 4ohm, what can i do to fix this?
>> >
>> > please anyone had experience with wiring. The car is old so i'm
>> > thinking it could be a worn wire, the inside wiring is in Ok shape
>> > wasn't touched much before.
>> >
>> > i like this place, not much activity but no matter, someone is out
>> > there with the answer just waiting for the right question to pop up.
>> > thanks
>> > Ilia

>The code 15 is your vehicle speed sensor, does the speedometer work??

I have had the dash problem, and this same code 15 in my 87 caravan
SE, also a 3l.

I'm guessing when the guages go, the guage lights don't come on, the
indicator lights ont he dash do, and work inversly when an indicator
is used, as does the high-beam light, and all when the headlghts are
switched on. A bang on the left corner, above the left side warning
lights section will often fix it. Oh, and most of the guages,
including the fuel and temprature go to extremes. Speedo is unaffected
however.
Oh, and if you have no headlights on, it'll bliink the low voltage
warning in time with the turn signals, when they're used.

The code15 seems to come on most times, usually within a mile or two
of startng. speedo seems fine, except it always over-reads by about
5mph. (it says 40, you're doing 30)

Old July 10th 06, 06:25 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
[email protected]

thanks for your replies,
Yes my spedometer works, so i'm not sure why code 15 still persists.
I got my radio, sig lighter and horn to work, they all use same fuse
apperantly, which was blown.
but the dash, man it is like every car has it's own personality. I took
mine apart back then and looked at the PCB, no cold solder or brocken
solder joints, all connections are snug. even changed my RPM gage,
still same thing: rpm falls to 0 and comes back when i hit it or the
car hits a bump in a certain way, the oil pressure goes below Low when
car is well wormed up and i stop at lights, the coolant temp gage
flicks side to side almost all the time, exept at acceleration(which
indicates a bad connection somewhere, cuz the acceleration creates
higher voltages/amperes and it fixes the problem).
I don't know maby i should let it be. and hope to come across it when i
have to fix something else.
Can you guys confirm if the oil pressure is purely due to the gages
only and not actual indication of a low pressure?
thanks for your replies.
Ilia