Q: Scarry noise - Passat 1990

Old March 2nd 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.auto.vw,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.vw,uk.rec.cars.vw.watercooled

Default Q: Scarry noise - Passat 1990

Yellow dog wrote:

> Got this terrible freakin scary noise from the Passat engine
> compartment.

What did it sound like? We don't know what sort of noise scares
you. Whistle, squeal, rattle, knock, something else?

> Stopped and lifted the bonnet. It sounded as though it was
> coming from the engine rocker cover area so I took off the oil
> filler cap and saw oil splattering about; checked the oil
> level and there was certainly oil there. Felt the alternator
> and it seemed OK although the noise did *I THINK* settle down
> if I held the alternator bracket - not really sure. The noise
> did NOT seem to increase as I revved the engine - strange.

Amplitude or frequency? Do you mean it didn't get louder? Or
it didn't get faster with engine speed?

> On the way home -for no apparent reason- the noise disappeared
> and the car drove fine. There was no hint of anything when
> used it the previous day and I covered about 70 miles. At home
> I checked/ tightened the alternator bolts and they seemed OK.
> SPOOKY! I have not had the need to drive it today.
>
> Any ideas what it could be so I can tackle it BEFORE it either
> gets worse or breaks down.
>
> 1990 "H" reg. Passat estate 16v 2.0L petrol manual.

I'm not sure if this engine has hydraulic valve lifters. Have
you changed to a better quality (synthetic) engine oil lately?

John
Old March 2nd 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.auto.vw,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.vw,uk.rec.cars.vw.watercooled

Did it sound like something broke? That happened to me once in my 99 New
Jetta and then a couple miles later my transmission exploded. VERY
expensive.

Old March 2nd 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.auto.vw,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.vw,uk.rec.cars.vw.watercooled

Yellow dog wrote:

>> Whistle, squeal, rattle, knock, something else?
>>

> Rattle.

> Didn't get louder or increase in frequency.

OK, nothing to do with hydraulic tappets or type of oil then.

If it happens again, you might be able to "stethoscope" your way
to the source. Being wary of rotating parts, use a long
screwdriver or a stick to listen to parts of the engine (one
end against your ear, and the other end on the valve cover for
example). You'll hear many individual noises as you move it to
different places.

John
Old March 2nd 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.auto.vw,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.vw,uk.rec.cars.vw.watercooled

I'm sure it has hydraulic tappets.

Check the oil level - my '90 Polo has just developed a rattle and I thought the
oil level was OK, but it took most of a pint and then the rattling subsided a
minute after starting up. I've done about 2,500 miles since changing the oil,
so I guess it deserves a top-up. Maybe it was only kidding me that the oil
level was OK - nowhere much is level at home, so there's a bit of guesswork
needed.

--
Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club

Old March 7th 06, 12:05 PM posted to rec.auto.vw,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.vw,uk.rec.cars.vw.watercooled

Default Q: Scary noise - Passat 1990

> > I'm not sure of the frequency or noise increase but consensus does suggest
> > hydraulic tappets. I had to top up the oil, so I'll wait and see how I get
> > on. Thanks for everyone's input.

> Apology for replying to my own post. Drove the car today and it was as quiet
> as a mouse. <happy chappy at least for the time being.>

Funny that!
It's been quite cold recently - maybe that has had some effect.
My Polo didn't use any water today on the same journey it has recently used
around a
tea-cup full. Baffling. Maybe warmer weather is sealing hose joints or helping
the expansion tank cap valve to work properly. Even the temp gauge was working
the whole journey. Must be Springtime again. :-)

--
Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club