Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3 belt installation

Old June 17th 05, 11:57 PM
Brian O

Default Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3 belt installation

Hi,
I have a 1999 GC SE with the 3.3 engine. The serpentine belt has come off
more times than I care to count, usually after hitting a water puddle and
having is splash up on the engine. I've paid numerous towing and repair
fees. What I'm wanting to know is, is there a way to do this myself without
having to have the thing up on a rack? Seems the last mechanic didn't put it
on a rack, and being on vacation and in a hurry, I didn't think to ask him
about it. If I have to buy a tool, that's fine. It beats having to pay out
so much each time it comes off. Not sure why it was coming off. It was
cracked and worn some, but didn't think it was all that bad. I had it
replaced the last time. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Brian

Old June 18th 05, 01:09 AM
Bob Shuman

You don't say how many miles as this information would be helpful. In any
event, I'd suggest that you replace the automatic tensioner and the idler
too while you are in there. Replace the belt as well as it likely was
damaged when it came off. Check the alignment of all the other moving
components too (alternator, power steering, etc.) The first mechanic should
have suggested replacement of the tensioner. This job is not too difficult
and is easy if you follow the Factory Service manual procedure. Even
without the manual, it is pretty easy to figure out what to do if you buy
the replacements to see what they look like.

Good luck

Bob

Old June 19th 05, 02:14 PM
jim cronin

I had a 2000 voyager and had the same problem. It got so bad that I bought a
new Honda accord because my wife was afraid to drive it. after 8 belts, to
belt tensioner and one AC unit they found a TSB for a 1999 that said to
replace the entire front mount. I was under warranty for this and have had
no problems since. that was over 2 1/2 years ago.

Old June 21st 05, 01:07 PM
Brian O

what do you mean by replace the entire front mount??

I took it in the first time and they replaced the idler arm, at least they
said they did.

Old June 23rd 05, 05:24 AM
Joe

It's coming off because the tensioner is not straight. They get like that.
You should replace it.

THE ANSWER to your QUESTION:
The best possible tool for putting that belt back on is a long offset
box-end wrench. At least it was on my 92 3.3L. I got a Craftsman that was
13mm box on one end and 15mm box on the other. The offset made it fit the
job better. It's long, and you need the extra leverage. I could put the belt
on with no problem.

Old June 25th 05, 03:43 AM
Brian O

Excuse my ignorance, but what's the difference between the tensioner and the
idler arm?