2001 L100 Tail Light

Old February 1st 05, 02:10 AM
jtfogarty

Default 2001 L100 Tail Light

My rear tail light just quit and the dealer told me I need to replace the
whole assembly. Priced at $111, I told him forget it. He did mention that
there's a circuit board on each tail light, and mine has failed. If so,
could someone tell me if it's worth trying to fix. I can get a used assembly
on e-Bay for $15-40 and I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to attemt to
repair.

Thanks!

John Fogarty

Old February 1st 05, 02:41 AM
blah blah

In article >, jtfogarty4
@yahoo.com says...
> My rear tail light just quit and the dealer told me I need to replace the
> whole assembly. Priced at $111, I told him forget it. He did mention that
> there's a circuit board on each tail light, and mine has failed. If so,
> could someone tell me if it's worth trying to fix. I can get a used assembly
> on e-Bay for $15-40 and I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to attemt to
> repair.
>
> Thanks!
>
> John Fogarty

<scratches head> Huh?

Which tail lamp?
Center/Left/Right?
Brake light/Turn Signal/Backup light/All?

Circuit board??? I'm glancing at the schematics and I have no idea what
this dealers talking about.

Old February 1st 05, 09:27 AM
jtfogarty

Just did a seach on this problem ... found this qoute from an unhappy Saturn L Series owner:

"Adding insult to injury: We have had both tail light assemblys replaced a total of 7 times in 4 years. The cause: Printed circuit board assemblies in the tail lights CAN'T handle the current load and melt the plastic assembly. Five were replaced under warranty. We have paid for the last two at $182 each and it needs ANOTHER right rear light along with a new engine!"

Again, referencing the circuit board assemblies.

I'll pull it apart this weekend and follow up with a reply and let you know what I found.

John

Old February 1st 05, 04:33 PM
blah blah

If you have a digi cam take some pics for us. My schematics dont mention
a board but the diagram kinda hints that there is one. (it should of
said so) You might be able to pop these things apart and rebuild them
better than before.

In article >, jtfogarty4
@yahoo.com says...

Old February 1st 05, 08:43 PM
Saturn

Unfortunately that is correct. I had both of them replaced. I paid
for the first but threw a fit when the other one went out so the dealer
picked up the cost. There is circuit board in the lense and one
connection for all of the lights. It is not really a circuit board per
se but a bunch of tracer circuits going to the bulbs. This is a known
issue.

blah blah wrote:
> If you have a digi cam take some pics for us. My schematics dont

mention
> a board but the diagram kinda hints that there is one. (it should of
> said so) You might be able to pop these things apart and rebuild them

> better than before.
>
> In article >, jtfogarty4
> @yahoo.com says...
> > Just did a seach on this problem ... found this qoute from an

unhappy Saturn L Series owner:

> > "Adding insult to injury: We have had both tail light assemblys

replaced a total of 7 times in 4 years. The cause: Printed circuit
board assemblies in the tail lights CAN'T handle the current load and
melt the plastic assembly. Five were replaced under warranty. We have
paid for the last two at $182 each and it needs ANOTHER right rear
light along with a new engine!"

> > Again, referencing the circuit board assemblies.
> >
> > I'll pull it apart this weekend and follow up with a reply and let

you know what I found.

> > John
> >
> > "blah blah" > wrote in message

> > > In article >,

jtfogarty4

Old February 2nd 05, 12:37 AM
jtfogarty

Correct. I just pulled the tail light out and can see that the running lamb
base (socket) melted. A new socket and bulb didn't fix the problem. I justed
checked e-Bay: there are 4 or 5 for auction at less than $40, with the
sockets. I'll check the salvage yard first. It is one (explicative) design
and seems to fail quite frequently - it's a shame. I'll pull this one apart
on the wekend and see if it can be repaired.

This is the exact crap that will keep me from ever buying a Saturn again.

oups.com...

Old February 4th 05, 03:37 AM
New & Improved - N/F John

I thought it was just the bulb socket. I guess I got lucky, I replaced the
socket only last year. To date, it still works. The socket cost about $25.
L200 2001.

oups.com...

electrically stupid BDragon Corvette 32 February 6th 05 08:14 AM
2001 suburban check engine soon light [email protected] Technology 5 December 29th 04 05:40 AM
2001 tail light assembly Newsguy Saturn 4 June 14th 04 10:54 PM
2001 Saturn LS200 Rear tail light assembly JMedlin3314 Saturn 3 May 13th 04 02:48 PM