Good mechanic in Austin, TX

Old January 31st 05, 01:29 PM
Travis Jordan

beth wrote:
> Travis Jordan wrote:
>
> > "That job" means replacing the clutch, throwout bearning, and
> > pressure plate, not just the clutch disk itself.

> you forgot the rear main and, if necessary, resurfacing the flywheel.

Parts are cheap enough. These are list prices for the 4 cyl. non-turbo.

Clutch $67
Pilot Bearing $9
Release Bearing $44
Release Fork $27
Pressure Plate $72
Flywheel (new, if needed) $308

Shouldn't need to replace the rear seal unless it is leaking or they
have to pull the flywheel.

Feel free to do it yourself. Be forewarned: it is a messy, hard job.

Old January 31st 05, 03:00 PM
HLS

Normally, the rear main and the flywheel don't need to be
replaced/resurfaced. True, there are exceptions.

There is a mechanic there in Austin who is well respected with foreign and
special cars, and I will try to dig up my service records. He worked on my
Reatta before I took delivery. If I can find the references, I will forward
to you.

Old January 31st 05, 06:45 PM
Steve

beth wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Excuse the cross post. I've always gotten good advice on these groups...
>
> The clutch on my '89 Toyota pickup has finally given up the ghost after
> 177K. This isn't something I want to tackle myself. I'm shopping around
> for estimates. If anyone has a recommendation for a good shop on Austin,
> TX, I'd really appreciate it.
>
> I've gotten one rough estimate from a shop that did a friend's Miata but
> they want 600-700 bucks. I have NO CLUE if this is reasonable or not. It
> sounds a little steep to me.
>
> TIA,
>
> Beth

Sounds about right, given the fact that you have to drop the
transmission to change a clutch (labor time= $$). And reassembly
requires careful alignment of all the parts. That's about what a
co-worker paid recently at an Austin shop for a domestic truck.
Old January 31st 05, 07:45 PM
Hachiroku

"beth" > wrote in message
> Hi folks,
>
> Excuse the cross post. I've always gotten good advice on these groups...
>
> The clutch on my '89 Toyota pickup has finally given up the ghost after
> 177K. This isn't something I want to tackle myself. I'm shopping around
> for estimates. If anyone has a recommendation for a good shop on Austin,
> TX, I'd really appreciate it.
>
> I've gotten one rough estimate from a shop that did a friend's Miata but
> they want 600-700 bucks. I have NO CLUE if this is reasonable or not. It
> sounds a little steep to me.
>
> TIA,
>
> Beth

$400 is a good price for a clutch...

Old January 31st 05, 07:48 PM
Hachiroku

"beth" > wrote in message
> Travis Jordan wrote:
>
> > "That job" means replacing the clutch, throwout bearning, and pressure
> > plate, not just the clutch disk itself.

> you forgot the rear main and, if necessary, resurfacing the flywheel.
>
> 600-700 is steep and 915 is a freakin' rip-off. i'll drop that damn
> tranny in my driveway and do it myself if people quote me crap like
> that, tits of not.
>
> jesus, no wonder i do all of my own work.
>
> -Beth

Man in Mass, 47, not bad looking, seeks wife. Man has '85 Corolla GTS, '85
Celica GTS, 88 Supra, and a car or two that runs. Looking for woman with
mechanical knowledge and tools.

Please send picture of toolbox...

Old January 31st 05, 07:50 PM
Hachiroku

"Bruce L. Bergman" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:19:34 -0600, beth > wrote:
> >Travis Jordan wrote:
> >
> >> "That job" means replacing the clutch, throwout bearning, and pressure
> >> plate, not just the clutch disk itself.

> >you forgot the rear main and, if necessary, resurfacing the flywheel.
> >
> >600-700 is steep and 915 is a freakin' rip-off. i'll drop that damn
> >tranny in my driveway and do it myself if people quote me crap like
> >that, tits of not.
> >
> >jesus, no wonder i do all of my own work.
> >
> >-Beth

> Tits (or lack thereof) have ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with it where
> doing the work yourself is concerned, unless you count being smart
> enough to not keep cranking on that stuck bolt until something breaks.
> ;-) Or stopping and asking for instructions. ;-)
>
> The only difference is you may not have the brute strength to lift
> the trans into place off a regular floor jack, without needing a
> purpose-built transmission jack to get it lined up. Then again, if
> you really work out, you might well be able to...
>
> But there are STILL a lot of chauvinists out there who see a woman
> walk in the door and start talking bafflegab like Framistram
> Regulators and Muffler Bearings.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Um, check a couple BMW models...

Old February 1st 05, 03:23 AM
Charles Fregeau

"Hachiroku" > wrote in message

> "beth" > wrote in message
>> Travis Jordan wrote:
>>
>> > "That job" means replacing the clutch, throwout bearning, and pressure
>> > plate, not just the clutch disk itself.

>> you forgot the rear main and, if necessary, resurfacing the flywheel.
>>
>> 600-700 is steep and 915 is a freakin' rip-off. i'll drop that damn
>> tranny in my driveway and do it myself if people quote me crap like
>> that, tits of not.
>>
>> jesus, no wonder i do all of my own work.
>>
>> -Beth

> Man in Mass, 47, not bad looking, seeks wife. Man has '85 Corolla GTS, '85
> Celica GTS, 88 Supra, and a car or two that runs. Looking for woman with
> mechanical knowledge and tools.
>
> Please send picture of toolbox...

Gee 86, you're my age. You got me beat in the bidding war, I only own a
Previa and a Corolla.

Charles of Kankakee.

Old February 1st 05, 08:04 AM
T.B.

i live in austin and have for about 12 years. I can recommend a good
mechanic who has worked on my '96 4runner many times and i've always been
happy with the quality of the work and the price. The place is called Don's
Automotive and you can get his info at http://www.donsautomotive.com tell
him I recommended you...

good luck

TB

Old February 1st 05, 04:11 PM
Hachiroku

"Charles Fregeau" > wrote in message

> "Hachiroku" > wrote in message

pressure

> >> you forgot the rear main and, if necessary, resurfacing the flywheel.
> >>
> >> 600-700 is steep and 915 is a freakin' rip-off. i'll drop that damn
> >> tranny in my driveway and do it myself if people quote me crap like
> >> that, tits of not.
> >>
> >> jesus, no wonder i do all of my own work.
> >>
> >> -Beth

> > Man in Mass, 47, not bad looking, seeks wife. Man has '85 Corolla GTS,

'85
> > Celica GTS, 88 Supra, and a car or two that runs. Looking for woman with
> > mechanical knowledge and tools.
> >
> > Please send picture of toolbox...
> >

> Gee 86, you're my age. You got me beat in the bidding war, I only own a
> Previa and a Corolla.
>
> Charles of Kankakee.

Hey, Charles, I didn't mention the '83 Tercel 4WD Wagon, the LHS (My daily
driver) and the '92 AWD Grand Voyager...They all serve some purpose...

Old February 3rd 05, 01:42 AM
beth

Travis Jordan wrote:

> Shouldn't need to replace the rear seal unless it is leaking or they
> have to pull the flywheel.

that rear seal is 177K/16 years old. it can drive itself to the mechanic.

it's gonna get replaced cuz murphy's law of vehicles states that once
you've removed the Very Large Thing that is required to r'n'r a seal, if
you don't replace it, it'll start leaking within 1000 miles.

> Feel free to do it yourself. Be forewarned: it is a messy, hard job.

oh my! i might stain my frilly dress!!! break a nail!

-Beth