Off topic F150 question

Old February 6th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default Off topic F150 question

I know this is off explorer topics, but any help would be appreciated,
it's about to get the best of me! Thanks for all of the help on both of my
explorers , and my nephews also.

2001 SuperCrew F150 V8 4.6L
140K miles (highway)

Problem: P0401 code (insufficient EGR flow) *Main problem!*
Light blue smoke on startup (started 137K) probably valve
seals.
Uses a little oil now. About 1qt in last 3K miles.

History: 100K Replaced spark plugs
125K (had P0401 code). Replaced DPFE and EGR valve (EGR
valve was still good). Cleaned EGR pipe. Cleaned Throttle
body
which was completely clogged on the EGR ports.
Reset code and it worked fine until now!
137K IAC valve went crazy and was replaced
140K P0401 code came back!

Does anyone have any idea what I should try next to remove the P0401
(insufficient EGR flow) code? I checked the following things this weekend:

1. All hoses seem fine and have vacuum.
2. DPFE hoses are clean and both have air flow.
3. EGR valve will hold vacuum and the engine runs rough when it is engaged
with vacuum at idle. (I think that is one of the tests)
4. The hose to the EGR has pulse vacuum at idle and the EGR solenoid valve
has vacuum to it also.
5. I removed/inspected the throttle body again anyway and it appeared
"clean", no ports clogged.
6. Reinstalled everything and code came back after about 75miles.

What am I overlooking or have not tried? Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your help.

Richard Grimes

--
Cedartown Electronics
®RadioShack Dealer 22-A724

Old February 6th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

The DPFE sensor is the weakest link in the chain, but you should expect a
much longer service life than you seem to be getting. Have you been using
aftermarket or OEM parts? You can test the DPFE with a vacuum pump and a
DMM.... let me know if you want the procedure...

Old February 7th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Jim,

I bought a aftermarket DPFE (AutoZone, the black plastic one) about
6mo./15K miles ago. I might still have the old one in the garage, maybe. If
so I will try to put it back on since it was not the problem the first time
to see if the code will stay off.. The throttle body is still clean from
6mo ago.
If you do not mind and have the time I would appreciate the test
procedure.
Thank you for the reply
Richard Grimes

Old February 10th 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Well, after the P0401 code came back on my 4.6L F-150 and after checking
the hoses, EGR valve. vacuum, and throttle body. I replaced the Autozone
DPFE with the original one. (I had saved it since it was not the problem in
the first place (15K miles ago, a clogged throttle body was the problem).
So 250 miles later the "replace engine soon" light is still off. If this
holds true into next week I will purchase NO MORE CRITICAL parts from
Autozone.
Thanks to everyone for the help and maybe this will cure my problem! What
a pain to replace "new parts"!

NOTE: Thanks Jim for reminding me that just because it's new doesn't mean
it is good or works.

Richard

"Jim Warman" > wrote in message
> The DPFE sensor is the weakest link in the chain, but you should expect a
> much longer service life than you seem to be getting. Have you been using
> aftermarket or OEM parts? You can test the DPFE with a vacuum pump and a
> DMM.... let me know if you want the procedure...
>

> "Cedartown Electronics" > wrote in message
> > I know this is off explorer topics, but any help would be appreciated,
> > it's about to get the best of me! Thanks for all of the help on both of
> > my
> > explorers , and my nephews also.
> >
> > 2001 SuperCrew F150 V8 4.6L
> > 140K miles (highway)
> >
> > Problem: P0401 code (insufficient EGR flow) *Main problem!*
> > Light blue smoke on startup (started 137K) probably valve
> > seals.
> > Uses a little oil now. About 1qt in last 3K miles.
> >
> > History: 100K Replaced spark plugs
> > 125K (had P0401 code). Replaced DPFE and EGR valve (EGR
> > valve was still good). Cleaned EGR pipe. Cleaned Throttle
> > body
> > which was completely clogged on the EGR ports.
> > Reset code and it worked fine until now!
> > 137K IAC valve went crazy and was replaced
> > 140K P0401 code came back!
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea what I should try next to remove the P0401
> > (insufficient EGR flow) code? I checked the following things this
> > weekend:
> >
> > 1. All hoses seem fine and have vacuum.
> > 2. DPFE hoses are clean and both have air flow.
> > 3. EGR valve will hold vacuum and the engine runs rough when it is
> > engaged
> > with vacuum at idle. (I think that is one of the tests)
> > 4. The hose to the EGR has pulse vacuum at idle and the EGR solenoid
> > valve
> > has vacuum to it also.
> > 5. I removed/inspected the throttle body again anyway and it appeared
> > "clean", no ports clogged.
> > 6. Reinstalled everything and code came back after about 75miles.
> >

> > What am I overlooking or have not tried? Any help would be

appreciated!

> > Thank you in advance for your help.
> >

> > Richard Grimes
> >

> > --
> > Cedartown Electronics
> > ®RadioShack Dealer 22-A724
> > 1572 North Main St
> > Cedartown, GA 30125
> > (770) 749-0904

1988 Ford F150, 4.9L I6 300 4x4 kraker13 4x4 3 April 27th 05 10:47 AM
Porsche 944 taillight question Nate Nagel Driving 73 January 28th 05 11:24 PM
Ignorant question. Jeepers Jeep 9 January 15th 05 05:42 AM
93 SL1 Valve Body - Question Gary Compton Saturn 3 September 3rd 04 05:58 PM