cb antenna on a Vue

Old September 9th 05, 03:45 PM
dakota2112

Default cb antenna on a Vue

Hello all.

Has anyone in here (successfully) installed a CB antenna on their Vue?

I've already had a bad experience using a "cellphone look-alike" magnet
mount antenna on the Vue. It wouldn't achieve SWR below 3.0 no matter
what I tried.

My next thought is to use a "side mount" attached to the tailgate door.
But this has a drawback of its own... I don't know if the tailgate
would offer sufficient grounding. I could settle for decreased
performance and use a no ground plane system, but I don't have any way
of knowing if that's necessary or not.

Any suggestions on this or other mounting locations? thanks in
advance!

Old September 19th 05, 02:17 PM
dakota2112

Thanks for all the replies. (sorry, I just had to include some Monday
morning sarcasm! I realize CB installation issues on a Saturn Vue are
not much of a hot topic...)

In case anyone's interested, I did find what appears to be a good spot
to install an antenna. On the driver's side, directly in front of
where the hood bracket is mounted to the chassis, there is a nice flat
spot. This area has plenty of strength for a flat bar type antenna
bracket, or you could even make one out of an L-shaped piece of metal.
I did this and utilized the front-most hood bracket bolt for added
strength. The only modifications required are to drill a hole for a
thru-bolt at the flat spot, and to saw off a very small piece of
plastic to allow clearance for the antenna bracket.

Access to the underside of this area is gained by removing the plastic
fender liner.

I fed the coax behind the hood bracket, then along the inner channel
under a piece of foam alongside the windshield washer fluid line, then
around the spring tower. The coax then goes through firewall via the
hood release cable hole, which did require cutting a small opening in
the grommet.

XM Antenna [email protected] Saturn 1 August 18th 05 01:24 PM
'98 EB Explorer Antenna Problem Jim Ford Explorer 4 August 2nd 05 05:54 PM
'91 Civic HB Antenna -- HELP!!! jim beam Honda 0 June 26th 05 04:07 AM
Power Antenna Connector Wiring Barry S. Honda 1 December 8th 04 05:05 PM
Installing a power antenna Dave Smith Mazda 6 November 30th 04 01:36 AM