Wheel Bearing Noise ? Audi 100

Old July 13th 05, 08:36 PM
~ Elektraman ~

Default Wheel Bearing Noise ? Audi 100

I have a '91 Audi 100 non-Q 4 spd automatic

Over the last 3 - 4 months I've noticed a sound as though I'm driving with
snow tires on (which I am not). The car has around 145,00 miles on it. The
sound seems to be related to wheel speed and it's not really loud like I've
read others describe a bearing to be like. I do have a torn outer CV joint
boot and I'm waiting for it to fail to change it. I can't really feel any
slop in the bearing when I jack it up and pull on the wheel. Anyone have any
ideas if this sounds like either a CV joint or wheel bearing? Any other
ideas?

THANKS!
Steve

Old July 13th 05, 09:12 PM
Guy King

The message >
from "~ Elektraman ~" > contains these words:

> Over the last 3 - 4 months I've noticed a sound as though I'm driving with
> snow tires on (which I am not). The car has around 145,00 miles on it. The
> sound seems to be related to wheel speed and it's not really loud like I've
> read others describe a bearing to be like.

Bearings often start quiet.

As for the CV jont - why wait for an expensive part to fail just 'cos
you CBA to replace the boot for a few quid.

--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."

Old July 13th 05, 09:48 PM
Steve Sears

Steve,
The noise (generally a "low growling") indeed sounds like a bearing -
failing CV's are more aptly described as "clicking".
You want to go to an empty road or parking lot, drive at a maneuvering
speed, and then crank the wheel - the bearing will be noisiest when more
heavily loaded on the outside of a turn.
If you find a torn boot, take it to a shop and have them really wash the
heck out of the CV, then relube and put on a new boot. Chances are it will
fail when you least need/afford it to.
Cheers!
Steve Sears
1987 Audi 5kTQ - put off changing the clutch master cylinder for a
year.....it totally failed this morning as I left for work
1980 Audi 5k - put off brake service and blew a line on the way to a local
Audi meeting
1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes - too old put stuff off.......
(SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

Old July 14th 05, 04:12 AM
~ Elektraman ~

Steve, Thanks for you help. I have a rebuilt half shaft and planned on
switching it out soon. With the noise I was hearing from the wheel I thought
I would do both jobs at the same time. I needed to confirm my suspicion
before ordering the wheel bearings. No ticking sound from the CV joint yet
but I 'll have the new one in before that happens.

THANKS!

Steve

.. .

Old July 19th 05, 01:30 PM
Christoph Bollig

Hi Steve,

I had a strange noise like this and no one was able to tell me what it
was. Someone actually suggested to change everything (bearing and cv
joint). In the end, I found out that the big nut in the middle of the
wheel was not tight. Have someone check that first before you spent
money on anything. I had no more problems after that was fixed.

Christoph

--
Important: Emails sent to me which contain my full name
in the "to:" or "cc:" field will bypass my spam filter.