Mustang gt in snow?

Old March 18th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

Default Mustang gt in snow?

..... wrote:
> I would like to buy a GT as a daily driver.
>
> Looking for opinions of Mustang GT with ltd slip differential in snow.
> Is it really awful? some people have told me the GT is awful in the
> snow but they do not have the ltd slip in their cars.
>
> I live in New England, it can get icey.

Not much will do good on ice. Even four wheel drive trucks. The
biggest problem with a Mustang in the snow is the wide tires on the
front. The rear end is relatively light compared to a FWD car so there
is less traction available in snow (throwing weight in the back will
help this though). Then add to that the problem of those rear tires
having to push wide front tires through it and it can be a problem. The
positive traction is a plus, IMO, for getting through snow. On ice it
is a negative as both tires will spin and if you are on any grade, even
a street cross slope, the rear will slide sideways. If you drive where
the streets are plowed regularly then I doubt you will have many issues
beyond a regular RWD car. FWD cars will have an advantage because of
the increased percentage of weight on the drive wheels.

Old March 18th 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Stubby

Michael Johnson wrote:
> .... wrote:
>
>> I would like to buy a GT as a daily driver.
>>
>> Looking for opinions of Mustang GT with ltd slip differential in snow.
>> Is it really awful? some people have told me the GT is awful in the
>> snow but they do not have the ltd slip in their cars.
>>
>> I live in New England, it can get icey.

> Not much will do good on ice. Even four wheel drive trucks. The
> biggest problem with a Mustang in the snow is the wide tires on the
> front. The rear end is relatively light compared to a FWD car so there
> is less traction available in snow (throwing weight in the back will
> help this though). Then add to that the problem of those rear tires
> having to push wide front tires through it and it can be a problem. The
> positive traction is a plus, IMO, for getting through snow. On ice it
> is a negative as both tires will spin and if you are on any grade, even
> a street cross slope, the rear will slide sideways. If you drive where
> the streets are plowed regularly then I doubt you will have many issues
> beyond a regular RWD car. FWD cars will have an advantage because of
> the increased percentage of weight on the drive wheels.

Two words: Winter tires.
Old March 18th 07, 06:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
elaich

Stubby > wrote in news:45fd6e21$0$953
:

> Two words: Winter tires.

Even with winter tires, the Mustang is going to be a poor snow car. Buy
yourself a cheap front wheel drive beater, and let the Stang rest in the
winter.

--
A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?
Old March 18th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, elaich wrote:
> Stubby > wrote in news:45fd6e21$0$953
> :
>
>> Two words: Winter tires.

> Even with winter tires, the Mustang is going to be a poor snow car.

Um. no.

Old March 18th 07, 07:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

Brent P wrote:
> In article >, elaich wrote:
>> Stubby > wrote in news:45fd6e21$0$953
>> :
>>
>>> Two words: Winter tires.

>> Even with winter tires, the Mustang is going to be a poor snow car.

> Um. no.

I drove my '89 LX as a daily driver for years here in Virginia. When it
snowed it was hit and miss whether I would make it out of the parking
lot. If the snow is deep and wet enough it just can't push the fat
front tires through it no matter what tires are on the rear. Add to
that relatively low ground clearance and it is far from ideal for a
winter car in New England. Then again, with global warming looming to
fry us all is snow and ice really a concern?
Old March 18th 07, 07:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Stubby

elaich wrote:
> Stubby > wrote in news:45fd6e21$0$953
> :
>

>>Two words: Winter tires.

> Even with winter tires, the Mustang is going to be a poor snow car. Buy
> yourself a cheap front wheel drive beater, and let the Stang rest in the
> winter.

I drive my '07 V6 as a daily driver in Minnesota. With the All Season
standard tires, the Mustang is no worse during a snowstorm than the
rear-drive cars of the 60s and 70s. You just have to know the
characteristics of the car, know how to drive in adverse weather, and
plan ahead.

Next year, I do plan to have winter tires, and a couple hundred pounds
of added weight in the trunk.
Old March 18th 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Stubby

Michael Johnson wrote:
> Brent P wrote:
>
>> In article >, elaich wrote:
>>
>>> Stubby > wrote in news:45fd6e21$0$953
>>> :

>>> Even with winter tires, the Mustang is going to be a poor snow car.

>> Um. no.

> I drove my '89 LX as a daily driver for years here in Virginia. When it
> snowed it was hit and miss whether I would make it out of the parking
> lot. If the snow is deep and wet enough it just can't push the fat
> front tires through it no matter what tires are on the rear.

Winter tires at all four corners, one size smaller and higher profile
than stock. THe narrower tires can be more easily pushed through teh snow.
Old March 18th 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Bob Willard

..... wrote:
> I would like to buy a GT as a daily driver.
>
> Looking for opinions of Mustang GT with ltd slip differential in snow.
> Is it really awful? some people have told me the GT is awful in the
> snow but they do not have the ltd slip in their cars.
>
> I live in New England, it can get icey.
>
> Norm

I live north of Boston, in a hilly town. I run my '98 Mustang GT
year-round, with little problem in the winter. The downside is
that I change tires twice a year, from fun tires to snow tires and
back. I have a set of 4 snows mounted on cheap steel wheels, and
I recommend that you do the same; some weight in the trunk would
also help.

I you have a real problem with snow, then note that FWD is not as
good as AWD.
--
Cheers, Bob

RWD in snow NJ Vike Chrysler 60 December 21st 05 02:00 AM
2003 Mustang GT--SNOW Dan Smith Ford Mustang 8 December 19th 05 08:56 PM
RWD in snow Rockman Chrysler 4 December 14th 05 03:46 PM
Winter Snow tires for 05' Mustang Suryakant Sansare Ford Mustang 2 November 27th 05 12:50 AM
CRV and snow motsco_ _ Honda 1 November 30th 04 05:47 AM