2005 cooling system clicking

Old November 9th 06, 12:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
RAC

Default 2005 cooling system clicking

Hi

I'm trying to figure out what is making a clicking noise on my 2005 sport
trac. It seems to be coming from the cooling system. With the engine on,
at idle it will run for about two minutes before making a loud clicking
noise from somewhere on the right hand side. Then you can hear the sound of
some kind of pump or motor working for about a minute before it loudly
clicks off again. When driving much the same thing happens (the noise is
loud enough to be heard inside the cab) except of course at higher speeds on
the highway.

The local dealer is a complete imbicile and has told me that the noise is
simply part of the truck design despite the fact that no noise was evident
several months ago. They refuse to take any corrective action even though
the truck is under warranty. I am concerned that part of the cooling system
is going to crap out before long, but I don't know what it might be.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? What was the difficulty?
Otherwise, does anyone have any thoughts on what the problem may be?

Thanks

Old November 9th 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
gordo

"RAC" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to figure out what is making a clicking noise on my 2005 sport
> trac. It seems to be coming from the cooling system. With the engine on,
> at idle it will run for about two minutes before making a loud clicking
> noise from somewhere on the right hand side. Then you can hear the sound
> of
> some kind of pump or motor working for about a minute before it loudly
> clicks off again. When driving much the same thing happens (the noise is
> loud enough to be heard inside the cab) except of course at higher speeds
> on
> the highway.
>
> The local dealer is a complete imbicile and has told me that the noise is
> simply part of the truck design despite the fact that no noise was evident
> several months ago. They refuse to take any corrective action even though
> the truck is under warranty. I am concerned that part of the cooling
> system
> is going to crap out before long, but I don't know what it might be.
>
> Has anyone else had a similar experience? What was the difficulty?
> Otherwise, does anyone have any thoughts on what the problem may be?
>
> Thanks

Maybe A\C compressor clutch ?

Old November 9th 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Scott Van Nest

I have a '06 F150 SC and the AC clutch is loud. I can hear it inside the
cab from time to time. Dealer gave me the story, that is how it is. I got
the 6yr/100k warranty so I am not too concerned.

Good Luck.
k.net...

Old November 9th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
RAC

No it's not the A/C, it's the cooling system....the engine coolant, you know
the glycol mix circulating through the engine block/radiator.

thanks
RAC

k.net...

Old November 10th 06, 01:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
C. E. White[_1_]

"RAC" > wrote in message
> No it's not the A/C, it's the cooling system....the engine coolant, you
> know
> the glycol mix circulating through the engine block/radiator.
>
> thanks
> RAC

Why do you dismiss the idea that it could be the A/C compressor cycling? You
said it only "seemed" to come from the engine cooling system. The A/C
compressor is mounted low on the right side of the engine. Why not turn off
the heating/cooling system and verify you still have the noise (be sure to
turn if off - the A/C compressor can run in more odes than just panel). To
be doubly sure, why not pull the fuse for the A/C compressor. In my opinion
the sort of noise you are describing could be the A/C compressor. However,
my first guess would be radiator electric cooling fan. I believe your truck
uses electric fans instead of an engine mounted fan to pull air over the
radiator when needed. Whenever you set for a few minutes, the electric
cooling fan are likely to switch on to pull cool air through the radiator.
But this should have been true for as long as you owned the vehicle. It is
somewhat unusual for you to notice the radiator cooling fans while you are
driving at highway speed, unless you are running the A/C. Have you checked
the coolant level recently? Did you take a look at the radiator and make
sure there isn't something blocking part of it (trash of some sort)? Have
you changed something in your routine recently? Maybe you are driving with
the windows down more, so that you now notice the noise, when in fact it is
not a new noise at all. I've had several Ford with electric cooling fans for
the radiator, and they can be noticeable in operation.
--
Regards,

Ed White
http://home.mindspring.com/~ed_white/ - my automotive opinions
http://home.mindspring.com/~ed_white/id7.html - my oil filter comparison

Old November 16th 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Bob[_2_]

RAC wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to figure out what is making a clicking noise on my 2005 sport
> trac. It seems to be coming from the cooling system. With the engine on,
> at idle it will run for about two minutes before making a loud clicking
> noise from somewhere on the right hand side. Then you can hear the sound of
> some kind of pump or motor working for about a minute before it loudly
> clicks off again. When driving much the same thing happens (the noise is
> loud enough to be heard inside the cab) except of course at higher speeds on
> the highway.
>
> The local dealer is a complete imbicile and has told me that the noise is
> simply part of the truck design despite the fact that no noise was evident
> several months ago. They refuse to take any corrective action even though
> the truck is under warranty. I am concerned that part of the cooling system
> is going to crap out before long, but I don't know what it might be.
>
> Has anyone else had a similar experience? What was the difficulty?
> Otherwise, does anyone have any thoughts on what the problem may be?
>
> Thanks

My '94 started clicking like you describe about 5 years ago. I don't
know what it is but it's apparently harmless. I always chalked it up to
a loud relay.
Old November 16th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
bronzebeetle

Sounds like the AC compressor kicking in and out. Did you try
disconnecting the compressor and running the engine. If the clicking
goes away that's the noise your hearing.

:

Old November 20th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
RAC

Thanks all,

Yes, after some investigation it appears to be the compressor. When the
clutch engages it clicks loudly. Apparently the compressor runs evey when
the A/C is turned off. Anyone have any idea why? It seems foolish, and I'm
sure that once I disconnect it I'll see the gas mileage improve.

RAC

. ..

Old November 20th 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ollie

get moisture out of the air

gas mileage will get better , even tough not much

Old November 20th 06, 05:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Captain Coleman

This has been discussed ad nausea here before. Use groups.google.com and
read the archives. Your compressor run in every position for the climate
control except off and vent.
Several years ago on my 1994 explorer, I had a mechanic add a little oil to
my AC system because of a noisy compressor. Two weeks later, the compressor
died and had to be replaced. So, your noise may be a sign of a compressor
problem. However, all compressors click when the clutch engages or
disengages