96 Heating issue solved-well sort of

Old January 9th 09, 04:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Bruceeeee

Default 96 Heating issue solved-well sort of

Turns out my previous post was the thermostat. It throws out hot air now.
But the temp guage still won't move. That it would require more diagnostic
problem solving. I didn't have enough money at the time to fix that. Any
ideas on why the guage won't function? Some type of sending unit?
thanks, Bruce

Old January 9th 09, 05:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses

"Bruceeeee" > wrote in message
> Turns out my previous post was the thermostat. It throws out hot air now.
> But the temp guage still won't move. That it would require more diagnostic
> problem solving. I didn't have enough money at the time to fix that. Any
> ideas on why the guage won't function? Some type of sending unit?
> thanks, Bruce

I'll try to remember to look it up later but there are some wires going to
the thermostat housing (or very nearby) that probably go to the temperature
sensor. Perhaps they are damaged.

Old January 9th 09, 08:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Bruceeeee

I would appreciate that! thanks

Old January 10th 09, 02:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses

"Bruceeeee" > wrote in message
> I would appreciate that! thanks
> "Ulysses" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Bruceeeee" > wrote in message
> >> Turns out my previous post was the thermostat. It throws out hot air

now.
> >> But the temp guage still won't move. That it would require more
> >> diagnostic
> >> problem solving. I didn't have enough money at the time to fix that.

Any
> >> ideas on why the guage won't function? Some type of sending unit?
> >> thanks, Bruce
> >>

> > I'll try to remember to look it up later but there are some wires going

> > the thermostat housing (or very nearby) that probably go to the
> > temperature
> > sensor. Perhaps they are damaged.

My Hayne's Manual says the Coolant Temperature Sensor is "under the throttle
body" on the 4.0 V6. There's nothing about it in the index so this is what
the wiring diagram says ('95, no diagram for '96): A LT GRN/RED wire goes to
PIN 7 on the Control Module. The other wire is GRY/RED and it goes to pin
46 on the Control Module which seems to be a common connection. I don't see
any fuses for the sensor or gauge. I'm not finding any info on
troubleshooting the Temp gauge, just how to remove the instrument panel. I
seem to recall a discussion about the Temp gauge at www.ford-trucks.com but
it was a while back. If you can't find it you could always ask again. They
have a pretty good Explorer forum.

Meanwhile, if I find anything else....

Old January 10th 09, 09:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

This engine/year has two temperature senders... the temp "sensor" is for the
PCM only and does have two wires... The temp "sender" is for the temperature
gauge only and has one wire...

Old January 10th 09, 07:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses

"Jim Warman" > wrote in message
> This engine/year has two temperature senders... the temp "sensor" is for

the
> PCM only and does have two wires... The temp "sender" is for the

temperature
> gauge only and has one wire...

Thanks. So far I have not found a wiring diagram for the sender or gauge
but it says the error code for "Coolant temperature sensor circuit open" is
51, OC.

From what you said I gather it's probably not the temp "sensor" that's the
problem

Old January 11th 09, 02:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Bruceeeee

So it sounds like a diagnostic issue for a new temp sender. thank you all

Old February 15th 09, 01:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
gordo

I had to change my temp gage a while back and this is how I diagnosed the problem....
Test the temperature sender unit by disconnecting the wire from the sender and grounding the wire.
Then turn ignition on and watch the temp gage. If the sender is good, the temp reading will be
pegged at max. If gage does not peg, then the temp gage in the instrument cluster is probably bad.
If the gage pegs, then the sender is bad.

Old February 15th 09, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
gordo

Correction....
Disregard "If sender is good, temp reading will be maxed....."
I meant if the GAGE is good, temp reading will be maxed.
--

m...