1994 jetta locks fell out...

Old August 30th 05, 11:16 PM
golgo13

Default 1994 jetta locks fell out...

hi,
both the driver and passenger door locks have broken and come out on my
1994 jetta. i felt a little "snap/crack" before the locking unit came
free and stuck on my key.

question: how easy is it to fix? i don't want to take the door panel off
unless i know it's going to be a relatively easy fix.

any help?
jun

Old August 31st 05, 12:05 AM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, golgo13 wrote:

>both the driver and passenger door locks have broken and come out on my
>1994 jetta. i felt a little "snap/crack" before the locking unit came
>free and stuck on my key.

So the cylinder came out. Don't lose the little pieces that fit into
the slots on the side of the cylinder. You will reuse those. Don't
lose track of which goes in which slot, although you could later
infer it from your key.

>question: how easy is it to fix? i don't want to take the door panel off
>unless i know it's going to be a relatively easy fix.

Relatively easy. Go to the dealer's parts desk, and explain briefly.
They will recognize the condition, and will sell some parts to fix
it. If you are lucky, they will explain it a bit. If not, do some
looking on the web. It is very common, and I am confident somebody
has described it well. What is unusual is for them to break at the
same time.

This set of parts will include a new cylinder, and a piece that
connects the cylinder to the door latch.

Old August 31st 05, 01:34 AM
Papa

If you don't have one, get a Bentley service manual for your specific car.
It should provide the necessary instructions. I know that for some VW
models, it is not necessary to remove the door panels.

Old August 31st 05, 02:45 AM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Papa wrote:

>I know that for some VW
>models, it is not necessary to remove the door panels.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=je...r=&sa=N&tab=wg
threads have some description.