How good is the new 2004 156 JTS?

Old November 22nd 04, 10:17 AM
davros

Default How good is the new 2004 156 JTS?

I've been reading all sorts of nightmare stories on the older 156 -
low batteries causing the selespeed to not function properly, build
quality, rattles and creaks, clutch issues etc. Does the new 04 156
JTS aleviate all these issues? I've got my eye on my dream car - a
silver 2004 156 JTS manual, with red leather interior, tinted windows,
possibly lowered using the new kit. Are they worth it? Will this car
be reliable and perform as the specs say it will. They are a great
looking car! Thanks for any advice.
Davros
Australia
Old November 23rd 04, 08:11 AM
has.mac

"davros" > wrote in message
om...
> I've been reading all sorts of nightmare stories on the older 156 -
> low batteries causing the selespeed to not function properly, build
> quality, rattles and creaks, clutch issues etc. Does the new 04 156
> JTS aleviate all these issues? I've got my eye on my dream car - a
> silver 2004 156 JTS manual, with red leather interior, tinted windows,
> possibly lowered using the new kit. Are they worth it? Will this car
> be reliable and perform as the specs say it will. They are a great
> looking car! Thanks for any advice.
> Davros
> Australia

G'day mate,

Totally happy with my JTS (2004 SW manual). Highly recommend it. This is my
second 156, having finally paid off my 2000 156 I decided I only wanted
another 156. I haven't had any major probs with either so far (touch wood).
Interior quality is defenitely better than the older version, I also avoided
the selespeed because I too have read too many horror stories, but it's
probably the case that problems are a minority and that it's reliability has
improved by now. Performance is excellent as expected but I preferred the
saloon version for performance and visibility, SW feels heavier and the
small rear window doesn't help, but I'm happy.

My only gripe would be if I had to drive it in Australia, I was over there 3
months ago and had a problem with the stricter speed limits and the zero
tolerance approach by the police (stopped for 120km/h in a 110 limit on a
long straight empty road?), made me think we're not so badly off over here,
but other than that, wonderful country.

The one you've seen sounds really nice, it's got to be worth a test drive,
then see what you think.

has.mac

Old November 23rd 04, 11:06 AM

(davros) wrote in message . com>...
> I've been reading all sorts of nightmare stories on the older 156 -
> low batteries causing the selespeed to not function properly, build
> quality, rattles and creaks, clutch issues etc. Does the new 04 156
> JTS aleviate all these issues? I've got my eye on my dream car - a
> silver 2004 156 JTS manual, with red leather interior, tinted windows,
> possibly lowered using the new kit. Are they worth it? Will this car
> be reliable and perform as the specs say it will. They are a great
> looking car! Thanks for any advice.
> Davros
> Australia

Hi Davros,
Yes they are certainly a great car, you only have to read the threads
on this group to find drivers love them in all kinds of form. And yes,
they will have a few faults from time to time, but tell me a car that
does not. A lot the faults we hear of are electrical, but recent BMW's
are suffering the same type of electical faults. Maybe because Alfa
are using German electical components.
A lot of owners have found the TS uses oil and needs checking regular,
I did hear this is due to manufacturers filling new motors with fully
synthetic, then the engines cannot run in properly. This is not just
Alfa, lots of other manufacturers too are having these problems.
I read a lot about people with faults, and it sounds bad but, we only
hear about the faulty cars and never hear about the thousands of Alfa
Romeos that are trouble free for year after year, I drive a 2002 147
Lusso and could not be more pleased. With a 2004 car I don't think you
have much to worry about, you will find that out as soon as you get
behind the wheel and press that pedal.
Good luck, John, UK.