BMW E34 touring

Old March 14th 06, 06:47 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default BMW E34 touring

What could be the most suitable motor for E34 5-series touring from year
1993-1995?

Thanks Jukka

Old March 14th 06, 07:46 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Jukka" > haute in die Tasten:

> What could be the most suitable motor for E34 5-series touring
> from year 1993-1995?

2.5 litre with 193 HP. Careful with the 4 Litre V8: Auto gearbox will
probably not live longer than 160.000 km unless ATF has been changed
frequently.

Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Old March 14th 06, 11:52 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

> What could be the most suitable motor for E34 5-series touring from year
> 1993-1995?

525i or 525tds. The 520i is a bit slow off the mark and no cheaper to
run.

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
www.Strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible price
Old March 14th 06, 06:08 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

If you're in a country outside of the US, and if you got the $$$$$, you
may want to also consider looking for a E34 M5 Touring. I believe they
came with the 3.8 liter S38 engine. Now that would be a "suitable
motor" for the E34 5 Series Touring....

Old March 14th 06, 06:46 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Frank Kemper" > wrote in message
> "Jukka" > haute in die Tasten:
>
> > What could be the most suitable motor for E34 5-series touring
> > from year 1993-1995?
> >

> 2.5 litre with 193 HP.

Seconded. My 525i SE E34 has over 170k miles.
Engine has never been touched, apart from routine servicing.
Did have a new w/pump about 3 years ago though, if that counts.
Pulls well. Doesn't use or lose any oil, and is still very quiet. Excellent
engine IMO.
Mike.

Old March 14th 06, 07:03 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

> If you're in a country outside of the US, and if you got the $$$$$, you
> may want to also consider looking for a E34 M5 Touring. I believe they
> came with the 3.8 liter S38 engine. Now that would be a "suitable
> motor" for the E34 5 Series Touring....

And only available in left hand drive :-(........

Old March 15th 06, 04:23 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Mike G wrote:
> Seconded. My 525i SE E34 has over 170k miles.
> Engine has never been touched, apart from routine servicing.
> Did have a new w/pump about 3 years ago though, if that counts.
> Pulls well. Doesn't use or lose any oil, and is still very quiet. Excellent
> engine IMO.
> Mike.

ditto here mike...we have a '95 e34 525it & will be turning over 140k
any day now - never an issue other than the routine including w/pump,
therm & rad. can't say enough about that power plant. the less than
25k e39 m5 has had more signifcant maint than the e34.

Old March 15th 06, 10:41 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"phlood" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Mike G wrote:
> > Seconded. My 525i SE E34 has over 170k miles.
> > Engine has never been touched, apart from routine servicing.
> > Did have a new w/pump about 3 years ago though, if that counts.
> > Pulls well. Doesn't use or lose any oil, and is still very quiet.

Excellent
> > engine IMO.
> > Mike.

> ditto here mike...we have a '95 e34 525it & will be turning over 140k
> any day now - never an issue other than the routine including w/pump,
> therm & rad. can't say enough about that power plant. the less than
> 25k e39 m5 has had more signifcant maint than the e34

Yup, those engines seem bulletproof. From what I gather, even 170k is a
comparitively low mileage, compared to what you can expect. 2-300k is not
unusual.
I forgot to mention it, but mine is a '94. With the wider grill.
Mike.

Old March 15th 06, 03:53 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

In article >,
Mike G > wrote:
> > ditto here mike...we have a '95 e34 525it & will be turning over 140k
> > any day now - never an issue other than the routine including w/pump,
> > therm & rad. can't say enough about that power plant. the less than
> > 25k e39 m5 has had more signifcant maint than the e34

> Yup, those engines seem bulletproof. From what I gather, even 170k is a
> comparitively low mileage, compared to what you can expect. 2-300k is not
> unusual.
> I forgot to mention it, but mine is a '94. With the wider grill.

They can suffer from sticking valves through poor servicing or too gentle
driving. Symptoms are a rough idle.

--
*I used up all my sick days so I called in dead

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old March 15th 06, 05:56 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Mike G > wrote:
> > > ditto here mike...we have a '95 e34 525it & will be turning over 140k
> > > any day now - never an issue other than the routine including w/pump,
> > > therm & rad. can't say enough about that power plant. the less than
> > > 25k e39 m5 has had more signifcant maint than the e34

> > Yup, those engines seem bulletproof. From what I gather, even 170k is a
> > comparitively low mileage, compared to what you can expect. 2-300k is

not
> > unusual.
> > I forgot to mention it, but mine is a '94. With the wider grill.

> They can suffer from sticking valves through poor servicing or too gentle
> driving. Symptoms are a rough idle.

Hehe.
There's not much fear of mine suffering from that then. I don't thrash it,
but it frequently gets driven hard. In traffic on a good road, I use sports
mode quite a lot. Makes it just that bit more responsive when it comes to
overtaking, as it only has to change down one gear instead of 2.
It does get regular servicing though.
Mike.

FS: E34 520i Touring (UK) JB BMW 0 January 6th 06 09:07 PM
Historic Touring Car Mod gcorrigan Simulators 2 November 16th 05 08:59 PM
HELP!!! Gona have me one 300C Touring Disel... HELP!!! 2BIG4U Chrysler 7 June 24th 05 03:35 AM
1992 525i Touring MPG Scott BMW 2 June 5th 05 07:12 PM
Bilstein Touring vs HD Struts Raybender BMW 5 January 14th 05 06:52 PM