Power Window Problem

Old June 19th 08, 04:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Tube Audio[_2_]

Default Power Window Problem

I have a 1990 Ford Ranger with Power Windows.

Today when I went to raise the driver's side window it would not go up. I
heard a clicking sound as if something was slipping or not engaging.

If I grabbed the window with one hand while holding the window in the up
position I could pull the window up.

I tried it again; the window goes down fine but makes a clicking noise when
I try to raise it.

One other thing that I mentioned. If I lower the window down about 70 % of
the way and then remove my finger from the button the windows slowly slides
down another inch or so.

I removed the door panel and am looking around but can't see much I might
need a mirror in there to look around.

Any ideas?

I guess the motor is fine, maybe the regulator or the window lift gear?

Thanks

Old June 19th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Charlie Bress[_3_]

"Tube Audio" > wrote in message
>I have a 1990 Ford Ranger with Power Windows.
>

> Today when I went to raise the driver's side window it would not go up. I
> heard a clicking sound as if something was slipping or not engaging.
>

> If I grabbed the window with one hand while holding the window in the up
> position I could pull the window up.
>

> I tried it again; the window goes down fine but makes a clicking noise
> when I try to raise it.
>

> One other thing that I mentioned. If I lower the window down about 70 %
> of the way and then remove my finger from the button the windows slowly
> slides down another inch or so.
>

> I removed the door panel and am looking around but can't see much I might
> need a mirror in there to look around.
>

> Any ideas?
>

> I guess the motor is fine, maybe the regulator or the window lift gear?
>

> Thanks

Probably the same design in the 92 Explorer.

In the motor assembly there are three plastic cylinders that are part of the
motor drive system.
If you pull the motor and disassemble the part where the out put shaft is
you will find that the plastic cylinders have been destroyed,
I have repaired mine by making cylinders out of an old plastic cutting
board. Others have used metal instead. I have never figured out why the
plastic was used in the first place - probably cost.
Clean out the old grease and plastic and rebuild as you like.
The alternative is to buy a replacement motor. Used ones may not be better
than what you have now. Check the web for rebuilt ones.

Charlie

power window problem D&LBusch Dodge 2 May 5th 07 10:09 PM
'03 power window problem Rick Olive Ford Mustang 5 March 24th 07 02:57 PM
Another power window problem mc Technology 5 July 30th 06 09:33 PM
Power Window Problem gdrew Dodge 7 June 8th 06 07:54 PM
Power window problem John Mitchell Audi 0 January 20th 06 01:43 AM