They're MFFYs *Off* the Road, Too

Old September 7th 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
223rem[_2_]

Default They're MFFYs *Off* the Road, Too

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> At the Post Orifice this morning there was this 20something standing
> in front of the "Stamped Mail" slot. She had a handful of letters she
> was mailing (at least 20 envelopes). She was depositing them into the
> slot ONE AT A TIME. After each one, she would pause for a second or
> two, as if to make sure the mail slot didn't spit it back out or
> anything. Then she'd deposit the next one. wait another second or two,
> Ad Nauseum.

Maybe she was checking that the letters had the correct addresses,
postage,etc.

Old September 7th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
C. E. White[_1_]

"223rem" > wrote in message
oups.com...

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> At the Post Orifice this morning there was this 20something standing
> in front of the "Stamped Mail" slot. She had a handful of letters she
> was mailing (at least 20 envelopes). She was depositing them into the
> slot ONE AT A TIME. After each one, she would pause for a second or
> two, as if to make sure the mail slot didn't spit it back out or
> anything. Then she'd deposit the next one. wait another second or two,
> Ad Nauseum.

Maybe she was checking that the letters had the correct addresses,
postage,etc.

This is probably true, but she should have done that before she entered the
post office, or at a counter inside the psot office. I think it was rude
behavior, but probably becasue she was unaware someone might have to wait
for her to finish.

From the orignal description I though there was an actual line behind the
lady. I mis-interperted the statement "as the line began to form" to mean
there was an actual line he was stuck in.
Scott's reply to my other post made it sound more like he was being an
impatient ("but I was the only other person in line when I arrived") and
cut in beside the lady before a line actually formed. There can hardly be a
line if he only paused for a few seconds before cutting in beside her,
dropping off his letters, and then immeadiately moving off.

I have some sympothy for Scott's complaint. I know I have been stuck in the
drive up mail box line while people addressed envelopes. When this happens
to me, I usually park the car and either go into the post office to mail my
letter, or go to a different box. In my opinion Scott was over the top on
this one. He clearly didn't wait for her to drop in all 20 envelopes, so for
all we know, she might have only checked a couple and, after she preceived a
line was forming, she might have sped up the process or even stepped away.

Ed

Old September 9th 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ed White[_1_]

Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> How do you get your car out of the drive-through? At the Post Orifices
> around here, the drive-through lane is only wide enough for one car
> (kinda like a fast-food drive-through) - if the car ahead of you
> doesn't get out of the way, and there are cars behind you, you're
> ****ed.

Well, two of the Post Offices I use have drive-up lanes and there is
plenty of room to pass. I guess we have more room in NC that you do.
Unfortunately, the Post Office closest to my house does not have a
drive up lane at all. And to make matters worse, the parking lot at the
building is tiny. If you go at any time but mid morning, the lot is
full. There is a satellite lot just down the street (40 yards max), but
the agressive types either park illegally or sit in the entrance
driveway waiting for someone to leave. What would you do? I am sure if
you used this parking lot you could come up with a good story about the
90 year old MFFY lady who took to long to get her car out of your
space, or the MFFY Mother who had the gaul to actually take time to
strap her child into a safety seat before moving her car out of your
space. As for me, I just park in the satellite lot.

> >In my opinion Scott was over the top on this one.

> What, exactly, is "over the top" about walking up to the slot and
> slipping my ONE envelope into the slot during a natural pause in the
> MFFY's rhythm? I didn't delay anyone - not even the MFFY - by doing
> so.

You are over the top because you made a big issue out of some girl
mailing letters. You are over the top because you dramatized it by
making it seem worse than it was by making it seem as if there was a
line behind the girl. In fact, there was no line other than you -
right? You are over the top because you spent a lot more time telling
us about it than just waiting for the lady to finish would have taken.
For heaven sakes, wating 30 sec could hardly have impacted you life. If
you had waited the thirty seconds, and not written the story, you would
be time ahead now.

> >He clearly didn't wait for her to drop in all 20 envelopes

> Oh, I see: I'm "over the top" because I'm not a JLEDI.

No, you are over the top becasue you seem to think that anyone who
inconveniences you in any little way is some sort of evil MFFY person.
I have no idea how old you are, but I suggest you have regular heart
check-ups. Anyone as Type A as you seem to be is bound to be at a great
risk for a heart attack.

Ed

Old September 9th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
C. E. White

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message

>>You are over the top because you made a big issue out of some girl
>>mailing letters.

> I made a big issue out of some thoughtless MFFY monopolizing access to
> a scarce shared resource. And rightly so.

Clearly she wasn't "monoplizing access" since she left enough room for you
to drop your letter in the slot. Or did you shove her out of the way?

> Oh, so it's OK to monopolize access to the mail slot if there is one
> person in line behind you, but at some point it becomes not OK? So how
> many people have to be waiting in line before this bimbo becomes a
> MFFY?

You already said you were able to mail your letter without waiting. Where's
the beef?

> > As for how long the line was, I have already stated that there was one

> other woman in line behind me when I deposited my letter.

Well originally you said -"As a line began to form behind her, I simply
walked up right next to her, waited for one of the 1-second pauses, and
quickly slipped my one letter into the slot. I then immediately turned and
left the building." "As a line began to form" is not the same as you and one
other woman in line." In fact it implies you were never in line at all.
Later you said "Nice try, but I was the only other person in line when I
arrived." So with this revision you are in line, but the only person in line
and this is hardly a line since you also said "I simply walked up right next
to her, waited for one of the 1-second pauses, and quickly slipped my one
letter into the slot. I then immediately turned and left the building." From
these statements we can infer that you were the only one in line (if you can
call watching someone for a brief period being in a line) and that you
didn't actually stay in line but instead moved beside the lady and mailed
your letter and immeadiately left the building. So where was the line, did
you go back to look for it later? Where was this lady you now claim was in
line behind you in the original story? And be honest now - since there was
obviously room for you to mail your letter, what difference did it make if
the lady was slow? As far as I can tell from your own words, you weren't
inconvenienced at all. And to be fair to you - if you didn't shove the lady
out of the way - I can't see where you did anything wrong either, at least
until you tried to make the lady out to be an of example of an evil sloth.

>>For heaven sakes, wating 30 sec could hardly have impacted you life.

> "I'll Be Just A Minute" makes it all OK, doesn't it? As long as the
> duration is "short" I should "have patience" and be a JLEDI, right?
>
>>If you had waited the thirty seconds, and not written the story, you would
>>be time ahead now.

> I enjoyed writing the story; I did NOT enjoy waiting for this
> inconsiderate Sloth to finish what should have been a 5-second task.

From you own words, we can infer you only watcfhed the lady for no more than
5 seconds. For all you know while you were heading out of the building, she
slid the remaining letters into the slot at once.

>>> Oh, I see: I'm "over the top" because I'm not a JLEDI.

>>No, you are over the top becasue you seem to think that anyone who
>>inconveniences you in any little way is some sort of evil MFFY person.

> Aren't they? How else would you describe a person who has so little
> consideration for their fellow human beings?

Hmm, well you certainly seem to be filling in the definition for me. It seem
to me that in many of your little MFFY stories you are at least as much the
MFFY person as the one you write about.

> BTW, since you seem to enjoy wasting your time waiting behind MFFYs so
> much, may 1000 Sloths each take 10 minutes to mail their letters while
> you are waiting patiently in line behind them.

Actaully I rarely mail letters at the post office. The post man picks them
up from my home. And when I need to go to the post office I go early in the
morning, so I rarely have to wait and people rarely have to wait behind me.
But thanks for thinking about me.

Ed