Melafix safe for snail?

Old March 15th 04, 05:51 AM
Renee

Default Melafix safe for snail?

I was told by the fish seller to absolutely NOT
add salt to my aquarium (goldfish) when I got the
snail, as it would kill the snail. Well, if it got
over a rather small saturation, and it was a
"better safe than sorry" thing. In fact, she said
that snails were extremely sensitive to
medications, and I should avoid medicating if
possible - remove the snail if I actually had to.

I can do that - I have numerous snailable
containers. But I do have concerns about simply
reintroducing a "host" (the snail) after
medicating the main tank.

Melafix seems to claim that it's safe for just
about everything. If I need to medicate my
goldfish with Melafix, should I remove the snail,
or leave it in - assuming I want it to live?

Renee
Old March 15th 04, 07:16 AM
Dinky

"Renee" wrote in message
.rogers.com...
I was told by the fish seller to absolutely NOT
add salt to my aquarium (goldfish) when I got the
snail, as it would kill the snail. Well, if it got
over a rather small saturation, and it was a
"better safe than sorry" thing. In fact, she said
that snails were extremely sensitive to
medications, and I should avoid medicating if
possible - remove the snail if I actually had to.

I have done both of these things without any ill effects on snails, however,
most aquarists are usually concentrating how how to kill the things, rather
than how to protect them. g

Old March 16th 04, 02:07 AM

"Renee" wrote in message
.rogers.com...
I was told by the fish seller to absolutely NOT
add salt to my aquarium (goldfish) when I got the
snail, as it would kill the snail. Well, if it got
over a rather small saturation, and it was a
"better safe than sorry" thing. In fact, she said
that snails were extremely sensitive to
medications, and I should avoid medicating if
possible - remove the snail if I actually had to.

I can do that - I have numerous snailable
containers. But I do have concerns about simply
reintroducing a "host" (the snail) after
medicating the main tank.

Melafix seems to claim that it's safe for just
about everything. If I need to medicate my
goldfish with Melafix, should I remove the snail,
or leave it in - assuming I want it to live?

Renee

I just bought new bottles of melafix and pima fix. I've used them both in a
ten gallon tank with baby snails and guppy's. I only used it for a few days
but no snails have died that i've noticed. W.

Old March 16th 04, 04:23 PM
Rick

"Renee" wrote in message
.rogers.com...
I was told by the fish seller to absolutely NOT
add salt to my aquarium (goldfish) when I got the
snail, as it would kill the snail. Well, if it got
over a rather small saturation, and it was a
"better safe than sorry" thing. In fact, she said
that snails were extremely sensitive to
medications, and I should avoid medicating if
possible - remove the snail if I actually had to.

I can do that - I have numerous snailable
containers. But I do have concerns about simply
reintroducing a "host" (the snail) after
medicating the main tank.

Melafix seems to claim that it's safe for just
about everything. If I need to medicate my
goldfish with Melafix, should I remove the snail,
or leave it in - assuming I want it to live?

Renee

it's an all natural product perfectly safe for use with snails.

Rick

Old March 16th 04, 11:29 PM
CanadianCray

Melafix is perfectly safe for ALL crustaceans including sales. The only
medications you have to be careful of using with Crustaceans are meds.
containing copper!

.rogers.com...