beep when key in ignition and driver's door open

Old December 8th 04, 07:22 PM
Abeness

Default beep when key in ignition and driver's door open

94 Civic EX. I find it quite annoying that the alert that sounds when
the key is in the ignition and the driver's door is open apparently
can't be turned off easily. There are plenty of times that I want the
door open while listening to the radio, and that infernal beep either
drives me bananas or, more likely, I'm forced to shut the door.

So, I'm trying to figure out how best to deal with this. On the one
hand, I could simply disconnect the piezo buzzer, but that would
completely disable the key alert, which can be useful in avoiding
locking the keys in the car, so perhaps I could install a switch in the
line to disable it when I want. If I wanted a fail-safe means of
ensuring that it went back on when the ignition went to position 0, I
suppose I could rig up a relay mechanism, but that would burn the
battery up faster and would probably be overkill... ;-)

Where the heck is the buzzer? And anyone know of a source for very low
power relays, in case I go nuts?
Old December 8th 04, 07:43 PM
motsco_ _

Abeness wrote:
> 94 Civic EX. I find it quite annoying that the alert that sounds when
> the key is in the ignition and the driver's door is open apparently
> can't be turned off easily. There are plenty of times that I want the
> door open while listening to the radio, and that infernal beep either
> drives me bananas or, more likely, I'm forced to shut the door.
>
> So, I'm trying to figure out how best to deal with this. On the one
> hand, I could simply disconnect the piezo buzzer, but that would
> completely disable the key alert, which can be useful in avoiding
> locking the keys in the car, so perhaps I could install a switch in the
> line to disable it when I want. If I wanted a fail-safe means of
> ensuring that it went back on when the ignition went to position 0, I
> suppose I could rig up a relay mechanism, but that would burn the
> battery up faster and would probably be overkill... ;-)
>
> Where the heck is the buzzer? And anyone know of a source for very low
> power relays, in case I go nuts?

-------------------

Alarm companies use delay timers for things like panic exits and they
are fairly low-current. Install a touch button that's a one-shot into
the timer, and set it for five or twenty minutes (or whatever) to jump
out the door contact. Power the timer off the ACC so you don't drain the
battery when key is out.

'Curly'

Old December 8th 04, 08:48 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article >, says...

>94 Civic EX. I find it quite annoying that the alert that sounds when
>the key is in the ignition and the driver's door is open apparently
>can't be turned off easily. There are plenty of times that I want the
>door open while listening to the radio, and that infernal beep either
>drives me bananas or, more likely, I'm forced to shut the door.
>
>So, I'm trying to figure out how best to deal with this. On the one
>hand, I could simply disconnect the piezo buzzer, but that would
>completely disable the key alert, which can be useful in avoiding
>locking the keys in the car, so perhaps I could install a switch in the
>line to disable it when I want. If I wanted a fail-safe means of
>ensuring that it went back on when the ignition went to position 0, I
>suppose I could rig up a relay mechanism, but that would burn the
>battery up faster and would probably be overkill... ;-)
>
>Where the heck is the buzzer? And anyone know of a source for very low
>power relays, in case I go nuts?

You can just push the button on the door jamb that causes the buzzer to
sound. Just cut a small block of wood that fits between the open door and
the button. Very simple and it does not involve messing with the electrical
system in your car.
------------
Alex

Old December 8th 04, 09:28 PM

Abeness wrote:
> 94 Civic EX. I find it quite annoying that the alert that sounds when
> the key is in the ignition and the driver's door is open apparently
> can't be turned off easily. There are plenty of times that I want the
> door open while listening to the radio, and that infernal beep either
> drives me bananas or, more likely, I'm forced to shut the door.
>
> So, I'm trying to figure out how best to deal with this. On the one
> hand, I could simply disconnect the piezo buzzer, but that would
> completely disable the key alert, which can be useful in avoiding
> locking the keys in the car, so perhaps I could install a switch in the
> line to disable it when I want. If I wanted a fail-safe means of
> ensuring that it went back on when the ignition went to position 0, I
> suppose I could rig up a relay mechanism, but that would burn the
> battery up faster and would probably be overkill... ;-)
>
> Where the heck is the buzzer? And anyone know of a source for very low
> power relays, in case I go nuts?

Roll down your window (s)?
Old December 8th 04, 09:57 PM
Randolph

Abeness wrote:

> 94 Civic EX. I find it quite annoying that the alert that sounds when
> the key is in the ignition and the driver's door is open apparently
> can't be turned off easily. There are plenty of times that I want the
> door open while listening to the radio, and that infernal beep either
> drives me bananas or, more likely, I'm forced to shut the door.
>
> So, I'm trying to figure out how best to deal with this. On the one
> hand, I could simply disconnect the piezo buzzer, but that would
> completely disable the key alert, which can be useful in avoiding
> locking the keys in the car, so perhaps I could install a switch in the
> line to disable it when I want. If I wanted a fail-safe means of
> ensuring that it went back on when the ignition went to position 0, I
> suppose I could rig up a relay mechanism, but that would burn the
> battery up faster and would probably be overkill... ;-)
>
> Where the heck is the buzzer? And anyone know of a source for very low
> power relays, in case I go nuts?

The buzzer is in the Integrated Control Unit, ICU, which is plugged into
the back side of the fuse box. It has a connector plugged to the back of
it. This connector has 2 wires that are BLU/WHT. One of these wires are
at the end of the connector, the other is the second one in from the
other end. The one at the end is the wire from the key-in-ignition
switch. Cut this wire, and the key-in-ignition alarm is disabled.

On mine (also a '94) the beeper does not work with the ignition "on",
only in "off" and "acc". So, couldn't you just either remove the key or
turn the ignition on?

If you want the beeper to not work with the ignition to "acc", it can be
done with a simple automotive relay (must be the 5 pin kind, 4 pin ones
don't have the 87a terminal. Terminal 85 to ground (I have used the
mounting bolt for the fuse box for ground for other circuits), terminal
86 to options connector #5 (rightmost one in the photo at
http://www.geocities.com/ng_randolph/Civic/options.jpg). Cut the BLU/WHT
wire mentioned above. The end that goes to the ICU goes to terminal 30
on the relay, the end that goes to the key-in-ignition switch goes to
thermal 87a.

Now the beeper will only work with the ignition off. This circuit will
draw current only with the ignition to "acc" or "on".
Old December 8th 04, 11:18 PM
DC

"Abeness" > wrote in message
> 94 Civic EX. I find it quite annoying that the alert that sounds when
> the key is in the ignition and the driver's door is open apparently
> can't be turned off easily.

I don't know if the 94 Civic works the same way as 2001 Civic, but if I turn
the ignition to the ON position rather than ACC, it stops beeping after 5
seconds.

--
Disclaimer: This post is solely an individual opinion and does not speak on
behalf of any organization.

Old December 8th 04, 11:57 PM
Imminent Vengeance

DC wrote:

> I don't know if the 94 Civic works the same way as 2001 Civic, but if I turn
> the ignition to the ON position rather than ACC, it stops beeping after 5
> seconds.

My '93 Accord works in the same manner, except there is no delay--unless
the beeping during this delay you speak of is actually your seatbelt
reminder. :-)

Old December 9th 04, 12:44 AM
DC

"Imminent Vengeance" > wrote in message
> My '93 Accord works in the same manner, except there is no delay--unless
> the beeping during this delay you speak of is actually your seatbelt
> reminder. :-)

Yeah, it's probably the seatbelt reminder. In any case, Abeness, I think
this would be a lot simpler than hacking the buzzer. =)

Old December 9th 04, 07:13 AM
SoCalMike

Abeness wrote:

> 94 Civic EX. I find it quite annoying that the alert that sounds when
> the key is in the ignition and the driver's door is open apparently
> can't be turned off easily. There are plenty of times that I want the
> door open while listening to the radio, and that infernal beep either
> drives me bananas or, more likely, I'm forced to shut the door.

and/or open the window.

my blaupunkt will stay on for an hour with no key in the ignition if i
push the "on" button. then it shuts off.
Old December 9th 04, 09:53 AM
Burt Squareman

"Abeness" > wrote in message

> 94 Civic EX....I want the door open while listening to the radio,
>and beep , I'm forced to shut the door.... I could install a switch in
>the line to disable it when I want. If I wanted a fail-safe means of
> ensuring that it went back on when the ignition went to position 0, I
> suppose I could rig up a relay mechanism, but that would burn the
> battery up faster and would probably be overkill... ;-) <snip>

Use a swinging "J" hook on a string. Slam door and J hook falls
away from door switch by force of gravity.