heater takes forever to get warm

Old February 21st 14, 12:29 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_10_]

Default heater takes forever to get warm

On 2/20/2014 2:25 PM, Geoff Welsh wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>> On 2/19/2014 3:38 AM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
>>> In a 2002 LeSabre the hot air is lukewarm for at least an hour. It
>>> could be
>>> normal but that seems unlikely.
>>>

>> Check the most likely problem area first. Move the heater temperature
>> control to make sure the linkage is still working. If the system is
>> vacuum operated listen for the door movement. As far as I know, a bad
>> engine thermostat wouldn't cause the heater to not work.....

> of course it does, that's the text book indication of an open t-stat
>
> jeeeez
> GW

My assumption was that the ambient temperature wasn't a factor in this
problem i.e., it wasn't real cold.
Old February 21st 14, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_10_]

On 2/20/2014 12:54 PM, Kevin Bottorff wrote:

> and if you do that on a crossflow rad you will have antifreeze
> everywhere. KB

Contrary to popular belief, this does not happen.
Old February 21st 14, 03:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin Bottorff[_2_]

dsi1 > wrote in news:le67je$3sp$1@dont-
email.me:

> On 2/20/2014 12:54 PM, Kevin Bottorff wrote:
>>
>> and if you do that on a crossflow rad you will have antifreeze
>> everywhere. KB
>>

> Contrary to popular belief, this does not happen.

I didn`t pull this out of the air, I have done it. go fly a kite. KB
Old February 21st 14, 04:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_10_]

On 2/21/2014 5:51 AM, Kevin Bottorff wrote:
> dsi1 > wrote in news:le67je$3sp$1@dont-
> email.me:
>
>> On 2/20/2014 12:54 PM, Kevin Bottorff wrote:
>>>
>>> and if you do that on a crossflow rad you will have antifreeze
>>> everywhere. KB
>>>

>> Contrary to popular belief, this does not happen.
>>

> I didn`t pull this out of the air, I have done it. go fly a kite. KB

I don't have that problem with antifreeze splashing everywhere - not
that it matters at all. A big splash would be a good sign because that
would mean you've isolated the problem and it's easy to proceed from
there. How the heck else would you check for a thermostat that's stuck
open?
Old February 21st 14, 05:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
money2noise

On Friday, February 21, 2014 9:14:09 AM UTC-7, dsi1 wrote:
> On 2/21/2014 5:51 AM, Kevin Bottorff wrote:
>
> > dsi1 > wrote in news:le67je$3sp$1@dont-

> > email.me:

> >> Contrary to popular belief, this does not happen.

> > I didn`t pull this out of the air, I have done it. go fly a kite. KB

> I don't have that problem with antifreeze splashing everywhere - not
>
> that it matters at all. A big splash would be a good sign because that
>
> would mean you've isolated the problem and it's easy to proceed from
>
> there. How the heck else would you check for a thermostat that's stuck
>
> open?

Compare temps of upper and lower radiator hose. If they are similar temperature, thermostat may be stuck open.
Old February 21st 14, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Friday, February 21, 2014 7:46:01 AM UTC-10, money2noise wrote:
> On Friday, February 21, 2014 9:14:09 AM UTC-7, dsi1 wrote:
>
> > On 2/21/2014 5:51 AM, Kevin Bottorff wrote:

> > > dsi1 > wrote in news:le67je$3sp$1@dont-

> > > email.me:

> > > I didn`t pull this out of the air, I have done it. go fly a kite. KB

> > I don't have that problem with antifreeze splashing everywhere - not

> > that it matters at all. A big splash would be a good sign because that

> > would mean you've isolated the problem and it's easy to proceed from

> > there. How the heck else would you check for a thermostat that's stuck

> > open?

> Compare temps of upper and lower radiator hose. If they are similar temperature, thermostat may be stuck open.

I suppose you could do that. I wouldn't do it that way although if the radiator doesn't have a filler cap on it, it would be an option. I'd just start the car and monitor the temperature of the hose for the thermostat opening.. I'd leave the bottom hose alone.
Old February 22nd 14, 04:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

dsi1 wrote:
> On 2/21/2014 5:51 AM, Kevin Bottorff wrote:
>> dsi1 > wrote in news:le67je$3sp$1@dont-
>> email.me:

>>> Contrary to popular belief, this does not happen.
>>>

>> I didn`t pull this out of the air, I have done it. go fly a kite. KB
>>

> I don't have that problem with antifreeze splashing everywhere - not
> that it matters at all. A big splash would be a good sign because that
> would mean you've isolated the problem and it's easy to proceed from
> there. How the heck else would you check for a thermostat that's stuck
> open?

IR thermometer.

Take a start temp upper hose at the radiator, another at the intake near
the thermostat housing.
Start engine. Take a temp off the intake. When it has raised 20 degrees
or so check the end near the radiator. Any rise there over a couple
degrees means it's open. The coolant isn't going to telegraph the rise
that fast if the thermostat is closed.

Timed test.

Start engine and see how long it takes to get up to temp. (no gauge,
stick a scan tool that can see live data on it to read the coolant temp,
If it takes more than 5-10 minutes for the engine to get to operating
temp the thermostat is open.

--
Steve W.
Old February 22nd 14, 06:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_10_]

On 2/21/2014 6:02 PM, Steve W. wrote:

> IR thermometer.
>
> Take a start temp upper hose at the radiator, another at the intake near
> the thermostat housing.
> Start engine. Take a temp off the intake. When it has raised 20 degrees
> or so check the end near the radiator. Any rise there over a couple
> degrees means it's open. The coolant isn't going to telegraph the rise
> that fast if the thermostat is closed.
>
> Timed test.
>
> Start engine and see how long it takes to get up to temp. (no gauge,
> stick a scan tool that can see live data on it to read the coolant temp,
> If it takes more than 5-10 minutes for the engine to get to operating
> temp the thermostat is open.

I wouldn't do it either way since I have no IR or OBD thingies. It looks
like I'm stuck with just opening the radiator cap and seeing if the
thermostat is open. Thanks for the ideas.
Old February 22nd 14, 10:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

dsi1 wrote:
> On 2/21/2014 6:02 PM, Steve W. wrote:
>>
>> IR thermometer.
>>
>> Take a start temp upper hose at the radiator, another at the intake near
>> the thermostat housing.
>> Start engine. Take a temp off the intake. When it has raised 20 degrees
>> or so check the end near the radiator. Any rise there over a couple
>> degrees means it's open. The coolant isn't going to telegraph the rise
>> that fast if the thermostat is closed.
>>
>> Timed test.
>>
>> Start engine and see how long it takes to get up to temp. (no gauge,
>> stick a scan tool that can see live data on it to read the coolant temp,
>> If it takes more than 5-10 minutes for the engine to get to operating
>> temp the thermostat is open.
>>

> I wouldn't do it either way since I have no IR or OBD thingies. It looks
> like I'm stuck with just opening the radiator cap and seeing if the
> thermostat is open. Thanks for the ideas.

Spend the money on an IR unit. You will discover it is VERY handy around
a vehicle. Looking for a dragging brake, bad bearing on an accessory,
misfire (check temp of exhaust manifold at each cylinder) Think you have
a heater problem you can usually trace the coolant flow. AC not cold
enough, run it over the ducts to see if a door is blocking the air. Just
some of the uses.

In the house - bad/overloaded breakers get hot. oven or furnace issues,
heat loss through windows and more.

--
Steve W.
Old February 23rd 14, 12:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_10_]

On 2/22/2014 12:25 PM, Steve W. wrote:

> Spend the money on an IR unit. You will discover it is VERY handy around
> a vehicle. Looking for a dragging brake, bad bearing on an accessory,
> misfire (check temp of exhaust manifold at each cylinder) Think you have
> a heater problem you can usually trace the coolant flow. AC not cold
> enough, run it over the ducts to see if a door is blocking the air. Just
> some of the uses.
>
> In the house - bad/overloaded breakers get hot. oven or furnace issues,
> heat loss through windows and more.

I think that what you say is true and I do love gadgets but the tools I
have for the car is getting unmanageable. I have an OBDII unit but never
got around to installing the 3 AA cells that it takes so it's been
sitting in the little compartment of my Passat. An IR reader would be
fun and useful but I'd use it mostly for cooking. OTOH, I don't need an
IR reader for cooking. It seems I'm burnt out on gadgets.

I've had 3 VWs so far and all of them have had random stumbling and
engine shutting down. You'd think I'd learn by now but nope. The two
previous ones had faulty fuseboxes. Evidently, the Passat that I have
now has a bad mass airflow sensor. To test this for this, you simply
disconnect the sensor. If the car runs better, the MAF sensor is faulty.
My next stop - eBay!