1999 Explorer Transmission

Old March 6th 08, 09:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Allan[_2_]

Default 1999 Explorer Transmission

My wife was driving our '99 Explorer, 4wd SUV to town the other day.
When she got back she said the OD light had come on. I asked if she had
inadvertently pushed the button in, she said no. After shutting off the
vehicle and restarting, the light went out.

I took it for a short drive and noticed also that when shifting, it
wants to rev a bit before shifting, then instead of a smooth transition,
it shifts hard into the next gear. Never did this before, always shifted
smoothly. The vehicle has 130,000 km's. When I got back to the house,
the OD light was back on again.

Any ideas what may be causing this?

Thanks

Allan
Old March 6th 08, 09:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Happy Traveler

There will trouble codes stored. Have them read and post here. May not be
enough to diagnose, but much better than blind guessing.

Old March 6th 08, 11:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Allan[_2_]

Thanks for that. I'll see if they can read the codes here at the local
garage. If they can't, I'll have to take it into town to the Ford
dealership next time in.

Thanks

Allan

Old March 7th 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Happy Traveler

The Ford dealer will love you. Nothing like charging a $100 diagnostic fee
for two minutes of hooking up the scanner. If you go there, at least have
them diagnose the problem and quote you the repair. May not cost much more.
Or do the same at a tranny shop that you trust.

Anybody with a scanner or even a decent code-reader should be able to pull
trouble codes. Some stores, like Autozone do it for free, hoping to sell you
parts to solve the problem. If you go that route, make sure to note the
exact numeric code, not just what the guy thinks that set it.

Old March 7th 08, 01:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Allan[_2_]

Ford Dealer will be my last choice, tranny shop in Saskatoon that I know
will be second choice if the locals can't find out what's going on. The
local gargae here does have a scanner, or maybe it's a code reader, it's
one or the other. Small town garage where everyone knows everyone else
and they will tell you exactly what's wrong if they can and not sell you
a pile of un-needed parts. They have the handheld scanner/codereader,
they used it on my Explorer one other time to determine we had a problem
with plugs. Didn't really need the codereader for that though, I coud
hear the miss. I'm going to drop in tomorrow.

The vehicle acts somewhat like the way some of my older vehicles had
when they did similar things, modulator valve would be plugged or shot,
or leaking at the hose. Makes me think that when things warm up
tomorrow, I'm going to check any hoses that possibly have come loose or
cracked from ice, snow and cold.

Thanks

Allan

Old March 7th 08, 07:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

Nice to see all these bold statements....

A C-note to hook up the scan tool? Those guys are ballsy.... Why, anyone
with nearly 10G tied up in one scan tool would insist on recouping their
investment is beyond me... I do free **** every day and do not expect to get
paid..... Come on, folks... raise your hands and say "that's me.... that's
me...".

Seeing that Ford dealers are held in such low regard, I guess my job here is
done....

Have fun with it, folks....

BTW... if anyone has a 99 Explorer with a vacuum modulator from factory,
I'll pay top bucks for the faulty one....

Old March 7th 08, 08:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Happy Traveler

See Jim, you can never stop being such a nice and helpful guy, even when you
get mad. Thanks for the great service to this group!

Old March 7th 08, 02:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Allan[_2_]

Jim,

Sorry I caused you some grief. I don't regard Ford at the bottom of the
pole, I'm just running on a very tight budget right now so any penny
saved....

Allan

BTW, thanks for the tip on the modulator.

Old March 9th 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Greg Berchin

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...e615cd39289562
Old March 21st 08, 02:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Bill Rubino

New tranny was my problem, but it took 198000 miles for the light to come on