02 Ford Explorer 4WD won't work

Old March 14th 08, 01:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
low66396

Default 02 Ford Explorer 4WD won't work

My wife's Explorer's 4WD won't work. I tested all the fuses, found
everything in good shape. Tested the motor and it tested bad, so I
replaced the motor and still nothing. Doesn't even sound like it's
trying to engage. I am wondering about the module, but I have no
idea where it is. Does anyone have an idea on where it is and if I
am even going in the right direction? I'm wanting to get it fixed
so I can get rid of it because it was a bad investment.

Tj
Old March 14th 08, 10:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses[_2_]

"low66396" > wrote in message
> My wife's Explorer's 4WD won't work. I tested all the fuses, found
> everything in good shape. Tested the motor and it tested bad, so I
> replaced the motor and still nothing. Doesn't even sound like it's
> trying to engage. I am wondering about the module, but I have no
> idea where it is. Does anyone have an idea on where it is and if I
> am even going in the right direction? I'm wanting to get it fixed
> so I can get rid of it because it was a bad investment.
>
> Tj

According to my Hayne's manual for "2001 and later models" the electronic
shift control module is behind the passenger kick panel. Supposedly you
should get an error code for it. On the early Exploders the module was in
the back where the jack goes and supposedly there is a reset button but I've
never needed to push it. I don't know if there is a reset button on the
newer ones.

Yea, those danged Explorers can be a real PITA. I have three of them and
I've thinking of getting another one. Outside of replacing the transmission
so far I've been able to fix just about everything else myself. For me the
hard part is usually figuring out what's wrong with it. If you get the 4.0
OHV engine these things are generally very durable and repairable. Right
now I have a 4WD problem on my '97 that's a mystery. I do, however, expect
to find the problem and fix it for not too much money.

Old March 15th 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

mine did that .i unplugged the connections near the trans and cleaned
,put dielectic on them and it worked then.