Mazdaspeed MX-5 NC?

Old December 13th 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws

Default Mazdaspeed MX-5 NC?

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> Agreed on the bulletproofness of the NA and NB engines.
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

Even when combined.
A '99 head on a '94 block installed in a '91 miata is a beautiful thing. :-)

Pat
Old January 4th 07, 06:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Mostly I wish Mazda had Honda's R&D budget.

That's a good thought! Trust me, WHEN you drive an RX-8 you'll understand!
Now go do it! :-)

Later,
Chris
99BBB

news

Old January 4th 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Lanny, You're not answering the question ......... are you evading or did it
just slip by you? I just wanted your opinion.

Snip:
Lanny, you're probably right about that but, what do you think of the
rotary
> engine for the next MS Miata? Have you driven the RX-8? It's a truly
> magical
> engine

Thanks,
Chris
99BBB

Old January 5th 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

With RX-8 sales #'s tumbling (your salesman wont admit to that) the price
may not be very far apart if you work it just right ;-)

Chris
99BBB

Old January 6th 07, 05:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
lurkio

pws wrote:
> Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
>> Agreed on the bulletproofness of the NA and NB engines.

I love my 1999 Mazda Roadster 1.8 but it did go through a hic-cup (?) about
2 years ago (35k miles always serviced) -started with the dreaded misfire,
sorted with new leads then a few months later, passed its MOT but then -
overheating resulting ina new radiator and then a a new lambda sensor and a
new cat

Old January 6th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

lurkio wrote:

> I love my 1999 Mazda Roadster 1.8 but it did go through a hic-cup (?) about
> 2 years ago (35k miles always serviced) -started with the dreaded misfire,
> sorted with new leads then a few months later, passed its MOT but then -
> overheating resulting ina new radiator and then a a new lambda sensor and a
> new cat

I still think that overall build quality was at a higher level before
1996 or so than it was afterwards, with the exception of the short nose
crank on '90 and some early '91 models.
I have read and dealt with many M1 miatas, and most go well past 100,000
miles without needing major work even when they are not very
well-maintained.

By contrast, I have seen and heard of a number of the newer/lower
mileage M2's have something ruin the cat, and alternator problems in
particular seem to happen earlier than before.
The M2 coil problems are famous and are practically unheard of on the M1
until many years have passed. Even the oxygen sensors seem to go out
faster now on average than with the first model.

Of course, replacing the cat is more difficult as well on the M2, since
it is not a direct bolt-in unit. A car never gets easier or less
expensive to work on as it develops.

This is not a slam on the M2 at all, they are great cars and I am still
considering one.
It will be interesting to see how the reliability of the NC holds up.

Pat
Old January 7th 07, 12:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

snip:
How many miles are are the engines
> typically good for with proper care?

Good question, don't know the answer to but, I was unpleasantly surprised
when I came across an RX-8 sporting excellent condition, new engine, 60k
miles. Scary!

I love the car though.
Chris
99BBB

Old January 8th 07, 12:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

I don't remember ever hearing about more than a 2 rotor but I could have
missed that.
As for the RX-8 vs RX-7tt engines, there's a whole lot of differences
according to a mazda tech I talked to, many / most of those differences
specifically to enhance reliability.
Between the short nose crank and the 99-2000 thrust bearing issues, I guess
the miata has been somewhat less than perfect!

Chris
99BBB

Old January 12th 07, 04:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

"pws" > wrote in message
> Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
>> I don't remember ever hearing about more than a 2 rotor but I could have
>> missed that.
>> As for the RX-8 vs RX-7tt engines, there's a whole lot of differences
>> according to a mazda tech I talked to, many / most of those differences
>> specifically to enhance reliability.

> That is what I figured, and I guess an advertising campaign of "our rotary
> doesn't require high-dollar maintenance like the RX-7 did" might not be
> the best advertising strategy.
> Still, with the problem being so widely-known with the RX-7, it seems like
> some mention should have been made of this without the need for research.
> Maybe it was and I missed it.
>
>> Between the short nose crank and the 99-2000 thrust bearing issues, I
>> guess the miata has been somewhat less than perfect!

> Ahh, but both problems were confined to the first two year models of a new
> model design.
>
> That is why I would not even consider a 2006 model, and will likely hold
> out for a 2008 model to make sure that any potential problems are worked
> out.
>
> By late 1991 until they switched designs in 1999, I would describe the
> miata engine as near-perfect as far as long-term reliability from my
> experience with them.
> Even the thrust bearing problem was not universal, and I met a guy who had
> over 60,000 miles on his 1999 model before the end of the year 2000. He
> took it well beyond 150K miles with a lot of hard driving before he sold
> it, with the engine still running nicely.
>
> Pat

Hitch on '05 MazdaSpeed Miata? [email protected] Mazda 1 June 9th 06 09:55 PM
mud guards 2005 MazdaSpeed? laocmo Mazda 5 March 28th 06 07:14 PM
miata mazdaspeed bra JCRocks Mazda 0 July 1st 05 12:44 AM
Mazdaspeed eunos Deano Mazda 1 October 27th 04 12:41 AM
Cruise Control for Mazdaspeed Miata Me Mazda 4 September 25th 04 12:59 AM