Mazdaspeed MX-5 NC?

Old December 3rd 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws

Default Mazdaspeed MX-5 NC?

Lanny Chambers wrote:

> The PRHT doesn't use the trunk. It folds into the same space used by the
> soft top in other models.

Yep, that is one reason that I want it so badly. I would describe the
operation as "elegant", though I did not applaud. ;-)

The only real downside that I see is the extra 70, (80?), pounds of
weight, not a huge deal for me since they kept the car pretty
lightweight. I also won't add a rollbar to the NC, so it pretty well
evens out for me.

There is the hardtop motor to consider, it will go out eventually, but
so do vinyl and fabric tops.
The only other thing I can think of is that the hardtop will have
somewhat less fading than the rest of the car for people who leave it
down most of the time. Again, not a big problem.

The ability to go from coupe to convertible in a few seconds without
messing with latches, lifting the top off of the car, or worrying about
where to store it has sold me the car, eventually.

Pat
Old December 3rd 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws

XS11E wrote:

> "the MX-5 PRHT provides exactly the same trunk capacity as its
> soft-top cousin, regardless of whether the roof is stowed or
> over-head -- a feat no other retractable hard top-equipped car sold
> in North America can boast."

Again, Mazda kicks the crap out of the competition.
Sort of like introducing glass rear windows when more expensive European
convertibles were still offering plastic rear windows. :-)

Pat
Old December 3rd 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
McMahon

>> The PRHT doesn't use the trunk. It folds into the same space used by the
>> soft top in other models.

Sorry. Didn't realize that was the case.

My previous post is - inoperative.

--
SM
Old December 3rd 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
McMahon

> But I still miss the freedom and rear visibility of the NA/NB. Note
> however that all the blockage of back flow over the rear end makes the
> NC much more civilized top-down on the highways and interstates. And
> it is not that an unobstructed rear end is a hallmark of a sport scar.
> Just have a look around.
>
> While I would have preferred it if Mazda would have stuck to the MGB/Elan
> model, I simply do not have time to do the work to keep 10 year old
> modified
> cars running reliably.

Thanks, Leon. I also, at this stage, prefer to skip the parts
replacement/maintenance deal. I trade my cars at 50K now.

But for me, sports car feel is sorta like a motorcycle; that you're 'riding'
the car. You're outside. Lotus 7 outside. after my drive in the NC -
maybe I shouldn't say this - okay. I tried an S2000.

It's fast. Smooth. Tight. But, it feels bigger heavier than the NC, to
me. And there's that same feeling; that you're sitting way down *inside*
the thing. Sorta peeking over the door sill, kinda like the cool
street-racer types in "Fast and Furious" movies. Realize that's 'the look'
these days - oh, and the real-big wheels. Maybe it's a safety thing; that
your positioned in a crash-pod. Whatever. Might very well be that I'm much
more used to a Miata. I'll admit to that, but I liked the NC better than
S2000. But neither one feels like an wide-open sports car.

Guess that's gone.

--
SM

Old December 3rd 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws

McMahon wrote:

> Sorry. Didn't realize that was the case.
>
> My previous post is - inoperative.
>
> --
> SM

You don't get off that easily. :-)

If the NC Miata PRHT operated the same as the car that you rented, I
would have no interest in it.
I would hate to ever be required to raise or lower the top for trunk
access, that would really suck.

Pat
Old December 4th 06, 06:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carbon

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 23:32:33 -0600, Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> Lanny, you're probably right about that but, what do you think of the
> rotary engine for the next MS Miata? Have you driven the RX-8? It's a
> truly magical engine.

I've never driven a rotary, though I would very much like to. The highest
redline of any car I have ever driven was an Acura RSX-S which was (IIRC)
8400 rpm. If the rotary is anything like that, it must be truly amazing to
drive.

However, I've also driven my wife's '94 Tercel which due to a leaking rear
gasket went through a quart of oil every 1500 miles. I'm not sure I want
to be monitoring the oil level of any car that closely ever again.

Mostly I wish Mazda had Honda's R&D budget.
Old December 4th 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Scott Streeter[_4_]

Wasn't there a recall on all the RX-8 engines out there recently?

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...da_recall.html

Sorry, but I just don't see what the big deal is with rotary. Seem
like it's always had reliability issues since Mazda started using it.

--
Scott Streeter

http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/
Old December 4th 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
Scott Streeter > wrote:

> Wasn't there a recall on all the RX-8 engines out there recently?

Mazda wanted dealers to check on the engines. Nearly all cars passed the
inspection without a problem.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old December 4th 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Remove This

Are there differences in the 2007 Steering wheel, over the 2006 GT with
Radio + CC buttons?
The added adjustability of the wheel in 2006 was my turning point. ( the
"FSB" problem).
I can now get the wheel close to perfection. If I could just extend the
pedals another inch, or
push the wheel in toward the dash an inch, then it would be ideal.

--
I work for the ILEC ...." stuff happens! "

Old December 4th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> That's a good thought! Trust me, WHEN you drive an RX-8 you'll understand!
> Now go do it! :-)
>
> Later,
> Chris
> 99BBB

I might have to do that.

There is a very rare breed of salesperson at my local dealership. I hope
he lasts. He lets you look at the car while he keeps his mouth shut
except to answer questions, does not act like your best friend, and is
actually helpful.
When he showed me the new hardtop, I went home feeling "un-slimed" for
the first time after looking at a dealership car. Very low-pressure.

Of course, he has a giant NC hook in my lip and is just waiting for the
inevitable. He is the best salesperson that I have dealt with, but he is
still a shark smelling chum when I walk in.

I still haven't test-driven the NC either.
I might have to "make up my mind" one day between the NC MX-5 and the
RX-8. (wink, wink)

Pat

Hitch on '05 MazdaSpeed Miata? [email protected] Mazda 1 June 9th 06 09:55 PM
mud guards 2005 MazdaSpeed? laocmo Mazda 5 March 28th 06 07:14 PM
miata mazdaspeed bra JCRocks Mazda 0 July 1st 05 12:44 AM
Mazdaspeed eunos Deano Mazda 1 October 27th 04 12:41 AM
Cruise Control for Mazdaspeed Miata Me Mazda 4 September 25th 04 12:59 AM