Is it realyl cheaper to buy a car in Europe?

Old September 23rd 06, 09:48 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Kates1632

Default Is it realyl cheaper to buy a car in Europe?

Hey everyone,

My husband and I are moving to Germany and we hear it is much less expensive
to buy a German made car while we are IN Germany. However, looking on their
websites, it doesn't seem so. Can anyone explain to me how it is less
expensive to buy it over there or how I can find out?

Katie

Old September 23rd 06, 10:49 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
joe_tide

"Kates1632" <u27037@uwe> wrote in message news:66bcbcc5276d4@uwe...
> Hey everyone,
>
> My husband and I are moving to Germany and we hear it is much less
> expensive
> to buy a German made car while we are IN Germany. However, looking on
> their
> websites, it doesn't seem so. Can anyone explain to me how it is less
> expensive to buy it over there or how I can find out?
>
> Katie

European Delivery is intended for those who will ship the vehicle back home.
If it isn't shipped within 6 months there is a 16% penalty tax. I doubt if
it would benefit you if you are permanently moving to Germany (or for longer
then 6 months).

http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/europeandelivery/

Old September 24th 06, 12:22 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Bob Smitter

"Kates1632" <u27037@uwe> wrote in message news:66bcbcc5276d4@uwe...
> Hey everyone,
>
> My husband and I are moving to Germany and we hear it is much less
> expensive
> to buy a German made car while we are IN Germany. However, looking on
> their
> websites, it doesn't seem so. Can anyone explain to me how it is less
> expensive to buy it over there or how I can find out?

Are you moving to Germany for the military or government and wanting
a US spec car? Those conditions allow purchase without paying taxes
or transportation fees. There are also no markups for BMWNA. Your
overseas sponsor either has or can get information on this program.

Old September 24th 06, 08:30 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dori A Schmetterling

Yes, need to know circumstances and from where. People are assuming USA, it
seems, but is that true?

DAS

---

Old September 24th 06, 08:33 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dori A Schmetterling

PS. VAT (a sales tax) is due to rise shortly, if the German government gets
its proposal through the parliament.

DAS

---

Old September 24th 06, 10:11 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jim[_5_]

"Dori A Schmetterling" > wrote in message
> PS. VAT (a sales tax) is due to rise shortly, if the German government

gets
> its proposal through the parliament.
>
> DAS
>
> For direct contact replace nospam with schmetterling
> ---
>
> "Dori A Schmetterling" > wrote in message
> > Yes, need to know circumstances and from where. People are assuming

USA,
> > it seems, but is that true?
> >
> > DAS
> >
> > For direct contact replace nospam with schmetterling
> > ---
> >
> > "Bob Smitter" > wrote in message

> >> Are you moving to Germany for the military or government and wanting
> >> a US spec car? Those conditions allow purchase without paying taxes
> >> or transportation fees. There are also no markups for BMWNA. Your
> >> overseas sponsor either has or can get information on this program.

Yes it's much cheaper than in the UK or Singapore or the Antartic.

Old September 25th 06, 04:30 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Kates1632 via CarKB.com

We are moving to Germany for the military and all of the moving costs and
taxes, etc. will be with military orders. Thus, I am not worried about
shipping and import things. All I really need to know is if it is cheaper to
actually BUY the car over there, fortunately, the military takes care of most
of the other things. We want to buy a nicer car if they are respectively
lower priced over there....

Katie

Old September 25th 06, 09:25 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
superfrog

Old September 25th 06, 09:27 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
superfrog

Kates1632 wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> My husband and I are moving to Germany and we hear it is much less expensive
> to buy a German made car while we are IN Germany. However, looking on their
> websites, it doesn't seem so. Can anyone explain to me how it is less
> expensive to buy it over there or how I can find out?

Well Katie here is what I know first hand, BMW, Saab, Mini Coopers and
Porch are sold at Cars International. Volvo is by its self but also
carries Land Rover and Jaguar. Pentagon Car sale has BMW and Mini
Coopers, and are off the base and sometime near a German dealer. Best
deals are for BMW, Saab, Volvo, Land Rovers and Jaguar. Ford Chevy
Jeep, Chrysler, and Harley can be found on the bases at AAFES, not as
big a savings but still no sales tax. Some others like Audio, Mercedes
and Volkswagen, you will have to ask to ware they are. As for savings I
brought a 2006 BMW Z4 3.0si invoice price was $36,300.00 My price was
$36,800.00 before adding extra equipment final price was $46,100.00
with all options, back home in Washington State that would of cost over
$50,000.00 and still have sale tax, to pay. So the bottom line no
matter what the car cost, what you are saving is sales tax. When you
bring car back to U.S. you will be exempt to car tax as long as you had
it over here long enough, some states require 90 days most want a year.
Check the state you intend to go back to, to be sure. I hope this
helps, let me know were in Germany you are going and I can give you
more information. We detach Stuttgart next September 2007.

Old September 25th 06, 12:20 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Kates1632 via CarKB.com

Thanks for the help! We definately are looking at some BMW's to bring back
with us. Are we required to bring a car over there so that we can bring one
back? I have heard this and wonder if it is true. We are going to be
stationed at Vilseck for about 3 years and want to buy the car early in our
station to have while we are over there. We intend to more than likely come
back to Florida after that station for the next leg of training. Where would
I go about looking up the regulations for bringing a car back to each state?