I'm baaaaack....

Old September 1st 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Default OT: Boats (was I'm baaaaack....)

"Dana H. Myers" > wrote in
:

> Power boating is an amazingly expensive hobby.

One of life's truisms, "If it flys, f*cks or floats, it's cheaper to
rent!"
Old September 1st 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Default I'm baaaaack....

pws > wrote in
:

> I remember getting about 30 mpg and gas was something like $1.10
> to $1.30 a gallon, so the gas bill for both trips combined was
> lower than your single trip now.

I was going through my gas bills for the trip and see the most
expensive was $3.28 at Marble Canyon, AZ and the cheapest was
$2.63/gallon here in Phoenix.

As you might imagine, the larger towns had the least expensive gas.

Old September 2nd 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Don Bruder

In article >,
"Dana H. Myers" > wrote:

> pws wrote:
>
> > Speaking of gasoline, I was paying the other day and heard the clerk
> > tell a lady $347.00. I looked out and she had a large pickup truck
> > hooked to a large boat.
> > Yikes! I think that I will stick to paddling for a while....

> Power boating is an amazingly expensive hobby. I have a friend that
> was basically given full use of a moderate-sized boat with an in-board
> V8, only to find he couldn't afford the gas to use it.
>
> Dana

Boat - Noun. A hole in the water you throw money into.

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info
Old September 2nd 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Nice comeback! Ya, it could easily cost $300 ;-)

Chris
99BBB

Old September 2nd 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws

Default OT: Boats (was I'm baaaaack....) NMC

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> Nice comeback! Ya, it could easily cost $300 ;-)
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

Well, it has been rumored that Houston has the best strip clubs by far
in Texas, but you wouldn't know anything about that since you are a
married man. ;-)

I wonder if the gas spiking is going to increase the interest in paddle
boats.
The popularity of kayaking and canoing was already increasing, but as
Dana pointed out, operating gas-powered boats is out of the price range
of a lot of people and that number of people will increase with the cost
of gas.

One friend who owned a boat simply applied the old, "gas, grass or ass,
nobody rides for free" rule when taking his boat out.
I don't think that he ever actually *paid* for gas except when he took
it out alone.

Not much miata interest today, may as well talk boats. ;-)

Pat
Old September 2nd 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws

Dana H. Myers wrote:

> Does it cost $300/day to operate your kayak?

To answer seriously, of course not.

That is one of the beautiful things about it. Plus I can roll it down to
the water on a homemade trailer without a vehicle. I could carry it down
there if it was a one-person craft, but it is a bit heavy being a tandem.
It will actually hold two adults and a small child or dog up front.

It doesn't have the speed thrill of a fast motorboat, but it is quiet,
provides excellent exercise and can go where very few if any motorized
boats can go.
The total cost was about $500.00, this being a used boat and new
accessories, though I do have my eye on a $300.00 paddle that feels like
you are holding air when you pick it up.

Pat
Old September 2nd 06, 01:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

Pat wrote:
<snippage>

> Not much miata interest today, may as well talk boats. ;-)

Actually over here in Eastern PA, today is a good day to have a boat and a
not so good day to have a Miata! The remnants of Ernesto are overhead right
about now. ;-(

I think Belle is going to stay in the garage today.

Iva & Belle.)
'90B Classic Red.)
#3 winkin' Miata

Old September 2nd 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws

Iva wrote:

> Actually over here in Eastern PA, today is a good day to have a boat and a
> not so good day to have a Miata! The remnants of Ernesto are overhead right
> about now. ;-(
>
> I think Belle is going to stay in the garage today.
>
> Iva & Belle.)
> '90B Classic Red.)
> #3 winkin' Miata

You would have my sympathies, but we need rain SO badly.

The lake is at the lowest level in six years and it is dropping one foot
every week. This is also the hottest August ever on record for Central
Texas.
It is so bad that there is only one public boat launch open for a fairly
large lake. It is going to be madness there today, I am so glad I won't
need to use it.

We are accustomed to being hot and dry in August here, but this is
especially bad.

Pat
Old September 2nd 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

good thing global warming is just a myth, think if it was really happening

Chris
99BBB

Old September 2nd 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> good thing global warming is just a myth, think if it was really happening
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

Nah, the icebergs are not disappearing, the polar ice caps are not
shrinking, and the sea level is not rising.

If any of this is happening, it is purely natural from volcanoes and
such, just another cycle.
There is no way that the actions of billions of humans would have any
effect on the planet.

Now go stick your head back under the sand........Thinking is no longer
encouraged in this society.

Pat