MX-5 Commuter?

Old August 30th 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Mark[_4_]

Default MX-5 Commuter?

pws wrote:

> Here's what I brought home today in my miata. It did take two trips and
> a little creative trunk and parcel shelf packing.
>
> I would have preferred your Nissan for this one, I think. :-)
>
> http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/pat/legos.jpg
>
> Pat

Now that's my favorite kind of cargo! I'd hate to think how many trips
I'd have to make in my Miata to move my entire Lego collection.

Old August 30th 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Mark wrote:

> Now that's my favorite kind of cargo! I'd hate to think how many trips
> I'd have to make in my Miata to move my entire Lego collection.

I am not going to admit to how little I paid for all of that. Well over
100 pounds of bricks, most of them specialized and sorted by type and
color in containers and many in sealed packages from the factory, all
adult-used and in excellent condition.

Plus endless motors, conductive bricks, 3 RCX control bricks, wiring,
lights, sirens, sensors, gears, gauges, books, the camera system and so
much more for the Lego Mindstorms Robotics line.
Need anything?

Back to cars, the Mindstorms series teaches the use of gearing and
almost anything mechanical.
One of the projects teaches how to build a working fixed rear end, then
an open rear end, then limited slip, and finally one that is
synchronized with motors.
Any kid who completes this will know far more about the way a
differential works than the average adult.

Pat

Old September 3rd 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
barry

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 23:12:12 GMT, CR > wrote:

>Seeking opinions about using an MX-5 Miata as a daily driver - and
>frequent touring/sport car.
>
>Here are some details of the daily commute:
>- small city <150,000
>- 8-10 miles one way through town
>- city streets and/or bypass expressway
>- midwestern climate

i live in S.CA, so YMMV

>What fuel mileage will the Miata provide?
> - 5-speed manual transmission

i was averaging 26 mpg but with the recent addition of a magnet system
(i know some people claim it can't possibly work but i now average
over 30 MPG and my driving habits did not change - i consistently blow
through 65 mph in third gear when getting onto the highway and driving
on the 210 means averaging 75-80 just to stay with the flow of traffic
most of the time.

>Level of comfort?
> - assume top down as much as possible ;-)

my top is down year round - the ears get cold at 40 degrees and 80mph
windchill in january & feburary but i have a hat for that. otherwise,
the heater does the trick. i heartily recommend a windscreen, i cut
mine own out of plexigrass for about $30, without one i have found
conversation to be practically impossible over 50 mph, with one, i
can converse just about all the time even on a cell as long as i use a
head set (except when noisy traffic prevents it)

>Long-term satisfaction?

i've bought my miata used over 8 years ago for only $6500 at 94K. i've
replaced the spark wires, the clutch and the radiator (which was the
cause of my overheating in a recent thread - flow had been inhibited
by about 40%) - everything else has been general maintenance and i
just broke 200K two days ago.

I LOVE HAVING A MIATA

> - 50+ year-old driver(s)

i am now in my mid 40's. it's getting a little tougher to get in and
out of the car, but only a minor inconvenience.

barry

marvin- 90 sky blue.

>Thanks in advance for any opinions!
>
>CMR