Police crush sunbather

Old June 13th 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Police crush sunbather

> laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE said in rec.autos.driving:
> This is awful. They not only killed her but it's a hit-and-run too.
> But nothing will be done to them, you can be sure.

But of course. DAISNAID should replace "Protect and Serve," on their
patrol cars.

--
"I love this country...
...and the freedoms we used to have..."
Old June 14th 06, 02:07 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

wrote:

>>> The article said they were "patrolling the beach." I'm used to
>>> sandy beaches that an SUV would absolutely destroy. What are
>>> California beaches made of that an SUV can drive around on? Rock
>>> maybe?

>> I guess you have never seen the TV show "Babewatch."

> Before my time. But I see from the picture that someone posted that
> the sand is all packed down flat like a road. When I think of sandy
> beach I think of the sand that you use with your little bucket and
> spade to make sand castles out of. <g> An SUV would really damage my
> kind of beach, but I can't see someone out sunbathing on the flat kind
> either. That's why I find the story strange.

Here's a shot of a LA county lifeguard truck on the beach, same as they
used in Baywatch:
http://www.adzstock.com/Upload/Stock/Previews/6165.jpg

Some tire tracks a couple inches deep - No damage worse than what
hundreds of bare feet will do. They don't go around spinning their
tires, throwing sand everywhere, and digging themselves in.

--
~/Garth |"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than a lie.
Almgren | I believe it is better to be free than to be a slave.
Old June 14th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Around 6/13/2006 2:13 PM, Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:

>>> This is an argument for lighter police cars.
>>>

>> I nominate the Yugo. That, or the Chevy Aveo. -Dave

> Get them a BMW: http://www.bmwworld.com/models/vintage/isetta.htm

Ah, the Urkelmobile. If someone /were/ run over, they'd have no problem
lifting it off themselves. Just give it some wider tires to float on
the sand, and you'd be all set.

Old June 18th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime

In article >,
Hardpan > wrote:

> >> When they actually commit the crime of murder, you moron.

> >Hey, he may be a moron, but he's got a point. Any civilian would be locked
> >up facing a possible murder rap, instead of on a paid vacation right
> >ow. -Dave
> >

> Second degree negligent manslaughter is all these two cops should be
> charged with.

The passenger can't be charged with anything. He didn't do anything.

Old June 18th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime

In article >,
Hardpan > wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 01:30:22 GMT, Larry > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Hardpan > wrote:

> >> Second degree negligent manslaughter is all these two cops should be
> >> charged with.

> >The passenger can't be charged with anything. He didn't do anything.

> Being an accessory to a crime, isn't a crime?
>
> Since when?

You'd have to show he was an accessory, as opposed to merely being
present at the scene of the crime. If he said something like "there's
someone lying down, gun the engine and go for her!" he'd be guilty. But
if he was just a passenger and didn't know what happened until
afterwards, he's not guilty of anything (neither is the driver, if it
was just an accident, but that's a different story).
Old June 19th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime

In article >,
Hardpan > wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 16:51:23 GMT, Larry > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Hardpan > wrote:

> >> Being an accessory to a crime, isn't a crime?
> >>
> >> Since when?

> >You'd have to show he was an accessory, as opposed to merely being
> >present at the scene of the crime. If he said something like "there's
> >someone lying down, gun the engine and go for her!" he'd be guilty. But
> >if he was just a passenger and didn't know what happened until
> >afterwards, he's not guilty of anything (neither is the driver, if it
> >was just an accident, but that's a different story).

> You are assuming that these police officers didn't know they had run
> over someone. I don't make that assumption, off-hand as you do.

From what I've read, there is no evidence they knew. Your "assumption"
that they did isn't evidence otherwise.

> In my experiences as a professional driver, that is not how police
> operate when investigating vehicular "accidents", particularly hit and
> run type pedestrian collisions.

I don't understand how your experience as a driver qualifies you to know
how police investigate hit and run incidents. Nonetheless, this isn't a
typical hit and run. In a typical hit and run, the perpetrator is
unknown and the police must determine who did it. IIRC, in this case
the police stopped once they were flagged down by beachgoers and
informed what they did.

> IME, the investigating police detectives often assume that the driver
> may well have known about it and ran anyway, hoping to avoid
> prosecution.
>
> That's "hit and run" and if the other officer co-operated in any way,
> that makes him an accessory to the crime.

That's what I said. *if* the passenger cooperated or aided the crime in
any way, he's guilty. There's no evidence he did that.
Old June 19th 06, 02:05 PM posted to alt.law-enforcement.traffic,alt.true-crime,rec.autos.driving,talk.politics.misc

Default Police crush sunbather to DEATH!

Hardpan wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 05:05:11 GMT, Larry > wrote:
>
> >In article >,

> Yes, he didnt do his job and be on the lookout for people on a public
> beach, I agree.
>
> >> Like the husband who is charged with failing to stop his wife's suicide?

> >No, it's entirely different. In New York, both promoting a suicide and
> >creating a grave risk of death or serious injury are felonies. Being
> >the passenger of a vehicle and having no control over it is not even
> >close to the same thing (unless the passenger was somehow an accomplice
> >to what the driver did, by aiding or encouraging him).
> >
> >Besides, read more about the suicide story. The guy did more than just
> >sit by while it happened. He created the entire environment, according
> >to news reports.

> >> Imagine if some civilian (negro) teenagers, or perhaps illegal immigrants,
> >> had "accidentally" run over and killed a cop or cop's wife/daughter
> >> on the beach ... think the prosecutor would decline to file charges,
> >> or would they already be sitting in jail on a "no bail" hold ?

> >You're an idiot. Civilians aren't allowed to drive on that portion of
> >the beach, so it would likely have been a criminal offense.

> When did the police become part of the military?

They're not...the military would have had those guys plus commanders up
the chain of command to the first general relieved of duty and facing
court martial, unlike what the cops will likely face.

Old June 20th 06, 12:37 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement.traffic,alt.true-crime,rec.autos.driving,talk.politics.misc

"morticide" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Hardpan wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 05:05:11 GMT, Larry > wrote:

> be

> ht

>> Yes, he didnt do his job and be on the lookout for people on a public
>> beach, I agree.

> e?
>> >
>> >No, it's entirely different. In New York, both promoting a suicide
>> >and creating a grave risk of death or serious injury are felonies.
>> >Being the passenger of a vehicle and having no control over it is
>> >not even close to the same thing (unless the passenger was somehow
>> >an accomplice to what the driver did, by aiding or encouraging him).
>> >
>> >Besides, read more about the suicide story. The guy did more than
>> >just sit by while it happened. He created the entire environment,
>> >according to news reports.

> nly

> nts,

>> >You're an idiot. Civilians aren't allowed to drive on that portion
>> >of the beach, so it would likely have been a criminal offense.

>> When did the police become part of the military?

> They're not...the military would have had those guys plus commanders
> up the chain of command to the first general relieved of duty and
> facing court martial, unlike what the cops will likely face.

ROTFLMAO!

Doug
Old June 20th 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime

Larry wrote:
> In article >,
> Hardpan > wrote:

> > >Hey, he may be a moron, but he's got a point. Any civilian would be locked
> > >up facing a possible murder rap, instead of on a paid vacation right
> > >ow. -Dave
> > >

> > Second degree negligent manslaughter is all these two cops should be
> > charged with.

> The passenger can't be charged with anything. He didn't do anything.

He could still have consequences - if both of them were in violation
of procedure that stated if they couldn't see ahead of the vehicle,
they should be driving there. There are plenty of ways to get down
to that stretch of ocean without going across the dunes - but none of
us knows the exact circumstances or what the procedures stated
each of the people in the car were supposed to be doing.

If the passenger was the superior in rank, and the driver were merely
following orders, I'd think the law could extend to him pretty quickly,
if' it's determined there was negligence. We'll have to wait and see.
The local police chief says there are several different laws that may
have
been violated.

A.

A.

Old June 20th 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article ews.net>,
Mike T. > wrote:

>"morticide" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>> http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/13/bea....ap/index.html
>>
>> When I was in the military, I was taught "attention to detail." These
>> cops apparently forgot that principle. They're no safer than anyone
>> else.
>>

>" An autopsy was scheduled for Tuesday. The officers have been placed on
>paid leave pending an investigation. "
>
>Why is it that every time a cop ****s up BIG TIME, he is rewarded with a

Union rules.

result in a fully-depreciated one.