car engine oil extended change

Old March 4th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default car engine oil extended change

Stuart Gray (me@home) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying
:

>> piston pin ( I call it the pin...the rod that the head pivots on ).

> It's a ****ing gudgeon pin. ****ing Merkin.

Bless 'em.

Still - could be worse. They normally call it a "wrist pin", ffs.
Old March 4th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"jw 1111" > wrote in message
> Hi, My car (toyota petrol 1.3) does a smallish mileage in a year say
> around 5000 miles, mainly
> on fairly short distances around town. what would be the 'time' limit to
> reasonably extend oil changes for economy reasons using a semi synthetic
> oil ?
>
> I suspect a lot of people will immediately say don't economize in this
> way.
> However some forty years ago I had a conversation with a professor of an
> engineering college and he said engine oil does not degrade 'time wise' as
> fast as most people think ( and importantly as the oil companies would
> wish us to
> believe). So by how much time could one reasonably delay an oil change
> with
> modern oils?

My Volvo 740 did 230,000 miles without an oil or filter change. I
eventually scrapped it because of rust. It had 120,000 on the clock when I
bought it and was 15 years old. I was trying to see if I could kill it but
it won. My other Volvos were much better treated, that one was a test bed
;-)

--
Stuart

--
Stuart

Old March 4th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Adrian" > wrote in message
. 244.170...
> Stuart Gray (me@home) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying
> :
>
>>> piston pin ( I call it the pin...the rod that the head pivots on ).

>> It's a ****ing gudgeon pin. ****ing Merkin.

> Bless 'em.
>
> Still - could be worse. They normally call it a "wrist pin", ffs.

And I just noticed they think the head pivots on it. FFS indeed.

--
Stuart

Old March 4th 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

>>> Oh that's right you get free garbage service in the UK.

>>Dunno about "free"... They're paid for out of our local taxes.

> Yes of course they are but because of that you don't have assholes
> dumping their garbage in the country side to avoid having to pay to
> dump it.

<hollow laughter>
How much you betting on that?

A couple of years back, I went to a shot-blasters on a local farm business-
unit site. Drove up the lane. Dropped off the stuff. Very brief chat. Drove
out. Ooops. Can't. Lane's blocked. Completely. No way round. Some ****'s
just fly-tipped COMPLETELY blocking the lane - in the FIVE MINUTES since I
drove up there!

I swear some of the scrotes out there actually put more effort into fly-
tipping than it would take to get shot of it legitimately.
Old March 4th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Stuart Gray (me@home) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

>>> It's a ****ing gudgeon pin. ****ing Merkin.

> And I just noticed they think the head pivots on it. FFS indeed.

Calm down, dear, it's only a 'merkin.
Old March 4th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Adrian" > wrote in message
. 244.170...

> Still - could be worse. They normally call it a "wrist pin", ffs.

Incidentally, I have a wrist pin. It's in my wrist and is actually a screw.

--
Stuart

Old March 4th 06, 10:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

jcr > wrote:
>> On 3/4/2006 12:27 PM ... Tony Bond (UncleFista) wrote:
>> "Lawrence Glickman" > wrote in message
>>> Your problem has to do with oil contamination not mileage or
>>> oxidation. If you don't get the oil up to engine temp ( somewhat
>>> over the boiling point of water for the oil, but I've never
>>> measured it ), condensates will accumulate in the oil. Gasoline,
>>> water vapor, who knows what from crankcase fumes. Pretty soon, if
>>> you never let your engine run long enough to boil off these
>>> volatile condensates, you've got acidic crap pumping through your
>>> engine that is going to dilute the lubricity and other
>>> wear-resistant characteristics of the oil, which will lead to early
>>> engine death. So you have to change your oil just as often as anyone
>>> else, but for
>>> the contamination reason. You'll have pea soup in the oil sump
>>> eventually, or worse, gunk that will clog the minute oil galleries
>>> that lube the piston bearings and piston pin ( I call it the
>>> pin...the rod that the head pivots on ).
>>>
>>> Say at least every 6 months, every 4 months would be better.

>> Yank Alert.
>>
>> Recommending an oil change on a honda every 1700 miles is ludicrous,
>> try not to post in Merkin groups...

> Fresh oil every 6 months is very cheap and easy "insurance". There is no
> reason not to do it.

Yes there is, you're wasting your money. Few if any
engines fail due to a lack of frequent enough oil changes.

Old March 4th 06, 10:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Adrian" > wrote in message
. 244.170...

> A couple of years back, I went to a shot-blasters on a local farm
> business-
> unit site. Drove up the lane. Dropped off the stuff. Very brief chat.
> Drove
> out. Ooops. Can't. Lane's blocked. Completely. No way round. Some ****'s
> just fly-tipped COMPLETELY blocking the lane - in the FIVE MINUTES since I
> drove up there!
>
> I swear some of the scrotes out there actually put more effort into fly-
> tipping than it would take to get shot of it legitimately.

My local council have just decided to charge £20 to pick up kerbside rubbish
that isnt put in the bucket, which they have also decided to empty once a
fortnight, instead of every week. I pay the *******s £2700 in tax a year to
do their job. Merkins have it easy.

--
Stuart

Old March 4th 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Adrian" > wrote in message
. 244.170...

> Calm down, dear, it's only a 'merkin.

Takes deep breath, lights up a fag ;-), from a packet of twenty that costs a
fiver, swigs a beer that costs £2.90 a pint, and replies on a 1meg BB
connection that costs £24 a month. :-)

--
Stuart

Old March 4th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Stuart Gray <me@home> wrote:
> "jw 1111" > wrote in message
>> Hi, My car (toyota petrol 1.3) does a smallish mileage in a year
>> say around 5000 miles, mainly
>> on fairly short distances around town. what would be the 'time'
>> limit to reasonably extend oil changes for economy reasons using a
>> semi synthetic oil ?
>>
>> I suspect a lot of people will immediately say don't economize in
>> this way.
>> However some forty years ago I had a conversation with a professor
>> of an engineering college and he said engine oil does not degrade
>> 'time wise' as fast as most people think ( and importantly as the
>> oil companies would wish us to
>> believe). So by how much time could one reasonably delay an oil
>> change with
>> modern oils?

> My Volvo 740 did 230,000 miles without an oil or filter change.

My Golf has done 30 years with only a couple of oil and filter changes.

The engine is still going fine.