why is rfactor

Old July 25th 05, 10:29 AM
John Simmons

In article >,
says...
> "Dave Henrie" wrote...
> >> <snip>

> > It does not. <snip>

> True.
>
> > But how will Multi be? I think the fact we haven't seen tons
> > of posts complaining about the demo could be a good indication.

> rFactor corrects some of the issues related to the "ISI" multi, like the
> join pauses, but is, in essence, no better than GTR in that department.
>
> Compare a GTR/rFactor client replay with, say, one of a 30 entries NR2003
> race and cringe.
>
> Jan.
> =---

I've only seen a couple of races in the lobbies where there were 30
people racing, and over the last couple of years, any given race is
lucky to have 10 drivers. Even after it was new, NR2k3 races typically
had fewer than 20 drivers. If ISI can't do more than 30 drivers online,
it doesn't seem like much of an issue to me.

Old July 25th 05, 10:52 AM
Jan Verschueren

"John Simmons" wrote...
> <snip>
> I've only seen a couple of races in the lobbies where there
> were 30 people racing, and over the last couple of years,
> any given race is lucky to have 10 drivers. Even after it
> was new, NR2k3 races typically had fewer than 20
> drivers. If ISI can't do more than 30 drivers online,
> it doesn't seem like much of an issue to me.

Big leagues regularly have 30 car races and even on Sierra you occasionally
find full fields at plate tracks. However, I agree capacity is less of an
issue.

I was referring to the actual quality of the replay. If the client has the
computer horsepower for NR2003, he can choose to have all 30 cars in his
replay and, for the most part, it will be possible to accurately follow each
individual participant afterwards.
Compare that to GTR/rFactor where, even with 10 just drivers, there will be
many position updates missing.

Jan.
=---

Old July 26th 05, 02:12 PM
Byron Forbes

"Jan Verschueren" > wrote in message
> "John Simmons" wrote...
>> <snip>
>> I've only seen a couple of races in the lobbies where there
>> were 30 people racing, and over the last couple of years,
>> any given race is lucky to have 10 drivers. Even after it
>> was new, NR2k3 races typically had fewer than 20
>> drivers. If ISI can't do more than 30 drivers online,
>> it doesn't seem like much of an issue to me.

> Big leagues regularly have 30 car races and even on Sierra you
> occasionally find full fields at plate tracks. However, I agree capacity
> is less of an issue.
>
> I was referring to the actual quality of the replay. If the client has the
> computer horsepower for NR2003, he can choose to have all 30 cars in his
> replay and, for the most part, it will be possible to accurately follow
> each individual participant afterwards.
> Compare that to GTR/rFactor where, even with 10 just drivers, there will
> be many position updates missing.

I'm getting disheartened again!

If this turns out to be right with the full release......what a joke. What
is the big problem with racing sims and multi?

Anyone here got much experience in flight sims or the like. Does this
seemingly HUGE problem exist in other similar genres?

Old July 26th 05, 02:17 PM
Byron Forbes

"Alan Bernardo" > wrote in message

> "Byron Forbes" > wrote in message
>> http://www.rfactor.net/
>>

>> "Brendan Hoefs" > wrote in message
>>> why is r factor going to be better online that gtr if it uses the same
>>> engine?
>>>

> Wow, man-- that really explains it. The guy asks a question which is
> specific enough and you give him a web site?
>
> That would be like someone asking, "Say, how does the Constitution of the
> United States protect citizens' rights?
>
> And then someone comes back with,
>
> www.usconstitution.org
>
> If you could answer the guy's question, that would be nice. I'd like to
> hear it myself.

Well, porcupine head, the reason I did this is because I was browsing
over the rFactor site the other day and one of the things that sticks out
like dogs balls is

"Presenting rFactor, the new racing simulation series from Image Space
Incorporated. After successfully creating over a dozen products in the past
ten years, Image Space takes the next logical step, creating a completely
new technology base and development process. This new isiMotor 2.0
environment will be the foundation on which to build exciting products for
many years to come."

Right there on the front page, paragraph 1. That enlighten you a little?

Old July 29th 05, 12:09 AM
Alan Bernardo

"Byron Forbes" > wrote in message

> "Alan Bernardo" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Byron Forbes" > wrote in message
>>> http://www.rfactor.net/

>> Wow, man-- that really explains it. The guy asks a question which is
>> specific enough and you give him a web site?
>>
>> That would be like someone asking, "Say, how does the Constitution of the
>> United States protect citizens' rights?
>>
>> And then someone comes back with,
>>
>> www.usconstitution.org
>>
>> If you could answer the guy's question, that would be nice. I'd like to
>> hear it myself.
>>

> Well, porcupine head, the reason I did this is because I was browsing
> over the rFactor site the other day and one of the things that sticks out
> like dogs balls is
>
> "Presenting rFactor, the new racing simulation series from Image Space
> Incorporated. After successfully creating over a dozen products in the
> past ten years, Image Space takes the next logical step, creating a
> completely new technology base and development process. This new isiMotor
> 2.0 environment will be the foundation on which to build exciting products
> for many years to come."
>
> Right there on the front page, paragraph 1. That enlighten you a
> little?

It's nice that you have perfected the art of calling someone names. Good
show.

As far as your link goes, that means nothing, coming from the makers or
rfactor. Of course they are not going to say that their multiplayer is no
better than GTR's. And rfactor's indication of their running a different
engine, means nothing.

From what I've been able to tell from personal experience, rfactor's
multiplayer is not very good. Once again, one only needs to look to those
three guys who made LFS and the game itself, to discover one of the best
multiplayer racing games to come out in quite some time.

Alanb

Old July 29th 05, 02:40 PM
Byron Forbes

"Alan Bernardo" > wrote in message

> "Byron Forbes" > wrote in message

>>> Wow, man-- that really explains it. The guy asks a question which is
>>> specific enough and you give him a web site?
>>>
>>> That would be like someone asking, "Say, how does the Constitution of
>>> the United States protect citizens' rights?
>>>
>>> And then someone comes back with,
>>>
>>> www.usconstitution.org
>>>
>>> If you could answer the guy's question, that would be nice. I'd like to
>>> hear it myself.
>>>

>> Well, porcupine head, the reason I did this is because I was browsing
>> over the rFactor site the other day and one of the things that sticks out
>> like dogs balls is
>>
>> "Presenting rFactor, the new racing simulation series from Image Space
>> Incorporated. After successfully creating over a dozen products in the
>> past ten years, Image Space takes the next logical step, creating a
>> completely new technology base and development process. This new isiMotor
>> 2.0 environment will be the foundation on which to build exciting
>> products for many years to come."
>>
>> Right there on the front page, paragraph 1. That enlighten you a
>> little?
>>

> It's nice that you have perfected the art of calling someone names. Good
> show.

Thanks porcupine head!

> As far as your link goes, that means nothing, coming from the makers or
> rfactor. Of course they are not going to say that their multiplayer is no
> better than GTR's. And rfactor's indication of their running a different
> engine, means nothing.

rotfl

****en 'ell, he's serious too. LOL.

Now that I've stopped laughing (and thanks for the laugh btw), anyone
who asks a question, clearly without any research whatsoever (like popping
on over to - http://www.rfactor.net/ for eg.), deserves no more than such a
link anyway. He got off lucky in fact.

> From what I've been able to tell from personal experience, rfactor's
> multiplayer is not very good. Once again, one only needs to look to those
> three guys who made LFS and the game itself, to discover one of the best
> multiplayer racing games to come out in quite some time.

yeah.

Old July 29th 05, 07:54 PM
Alan Bernardo

> ****en 'ell, he's serious too. LOL.

Same response a lot of people come back with. Swearing and then the stupid
LOL. It's a wonder you didn't plop in,

<rolling eyes>

All in all, you're worth a killfile.

Alanb

Old July 30th 05, 11:38 AM
Byron Forbes

"Alan Bernardo" > wrote in message
>> ****en 'ell, he's serious too. LOL.
>>

> Same response a lot of people come back with. Swearing and then the
> stupid LOL. It's a wonder you didn't plop in,
>
> <rolling eyes>
>
> All in all, you're worth a killfile.

asap too thanks!

Old August 1st 05, 06:41 PM
Larry

Cause it don't use the same engine

-Larry

Old August 7th 05, 03:48 AM
Steve Simpson

> I'm getting disheartened again!
>
> If this turns out to be right with the full release......what a joke.
> What
> is the big problem with racing sims and multi?
>
> Anyone here got much experience in flight sims or the like. Does this
> seemingly HUGE problem exist in other similar genres?

Well, I dabble in FPS tournaments occasionally and I've watched replays
(or demos as they're known in the FPS world) of 30 players in an online
server and you can follow any player pretty much perfectly.

Honestly, if GTL or rFactor don't have class leading (or at least 1999
standard) multiplayer, I'll be quitting sim-racing for at least 5 years.
These are the only games that have cars that I'm interested in. LFS's
cars & tracks bore me to death and N2003's (GTP etc) physics, FF etc just
feels primitive after playing the ISI stuff (and RBR.) At the moment, I'm
enjoying the stunning RH2004 mod for F1C even more than the likes of GTR
etc but the lack of decent multi is eating away slowly at my enthusiasm.

Sadly, I don't think ISI/Simbin etc realise that there's a lot more to
decent multiplayer than just good netcode. I strongly doubt that Ian Bell
has ever even participated in an online league.

rFactor Multi ? Ed White Simulators 2 March 16th 05 07:39 PM
If multiplayer code in NSR is as good as rFactor... Bill Bollinger Simulators 0 February 7th 05 04:12 AM
rFactor MP Test Fix: unfortunately doesn't fix ... :( Hans de Heer Simulators 7 January 15th 05 03:16 PM
rFactor demo - any fix? [email protected] Simulators 23 January 15th 05 12:47 PM
rFactor: Fix available for "Trymedia" problem! Hans de Heer Simulators 1 January 15th 05 12:43 PM