door window hard to move on 1965 coupe

Old March 24th 05, 03:17 PM
Richard Catrambone

Default door window hard to move on 1965 coupe

I have a lot of trouble rolling the driver's side door window up and
down on my '65 coupe (3 speed, 200 cu in engine). Every once in a while
it will roll easily, but most of the time it won't I've taken the door
apart a couple of times and adjusted the tilt of the vent window
assembly, the tilt of the main glass assembly, and the equalizer arm.
I've also greased the rails and rollers. (As an aside, is it better to
use white lithium grease, general purpose grease, or something else?).

Despite all this fiddling around I can't get the window to move easily.
One thing I have not messed with is the window regular assembly
itself. I've thought of replacing it but I keep thinking that there are
so many other things (like the things above) that play a role here that
I would be surprised if the regular itself is causing the problem.
There is some wobble to the "stem" of the assembly that the handle
attaches to, but I've also noticed some wobble on the stem on the
passenger side and that window generally moves pretty easily.

So, I guess what I'm asking is what are the most likely causes for the
window being hard to roll. Is it the case that it is a real art to
adjusting all the components just right?

Thanks.

Richard
Old March 24th 05, 04:33 PM
Dinsdale

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 15:17:11 GMT, Richard Catrambone
> wrote:

>I have a lot of trouble rolling the driver's side door window up and
>down on my '65 coupe (3 speed, 200 cu in engine). Every once in a while
>it will roll easily, but most of the time it won't I've taken the door
>apart a couple of times and adjusted the tilt of the vent window
>assembly, the tilt of the main glass assembly, and the equalizer arm.
>I've also greased the rails and rollers. (As an aside, is it better to
>use white lithium grease, general purpose grease, or something else?).
>
>Despite all this fiddling around I can't get the window to move easily.
> One thing I have not messed with is the window regular assembly
>itself. I've thought of replacing it but I keep thinking that there are
>so many other things (like the things above) that play a role here that
>I would be surprised if the regular itself is causing the problem.
>There is some wobble to the "stem" of the assembly that the handle
>attaches to, but I've also noticed some wobble on the stem on the
>passenger side and that window generally moves pretty easily.
>
>So, I guess what I'm asking is what are the most likely causes for the
>window being hard to roll. Is it the case that it is a real art to
>adjusting all the components just right?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Richard

Dirt (old nasty grease in the rails) and worn out rollers were the
culprits for my '65.

I'd disconnect the major components from one another and see which is
the weak link.

When I transferred the door components to a new door shell, "precise"
alignment wasn't really needed..the tolerances have enough jiggle room
to compensate...just use common sense and band-aids for the scraped
knuckles.

Hava Goodun

DP
Pics of the cars:
http://tinyurl.com/4fcsn
Old March 25th 05, 03:17 PM
Richard Catrambone

Dinsdale wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 15:17:11 GMT, Richard Catrambone
> > wrote:
>

>>I have a lot of trouble rolling the driver's side door window up and
>>down on my '65 coupe (3 speed, 200 cu in engine)....

> Dirt (old nasty grease in the rails) and worn out rollers were the
> culprits for my '65.
>
> I'd disconnect the major components from one another and see which is
> the weak link.
>
> When I transferred the door components to a new door shell, "precise"
> alignment wasn't really needed..the tolerances have enough jiggle room
> to compensate...just use common sense and band-aids for the scraped
> knuckles.
>
> Hava Goodun
>
> DP

Thanks for the response. I'll try to remove the components and give
them a good inspection, cleaning, and greasing.
Old March 25th 05, 04:02 PM
Mark C.

It's the regulator. Trust me. Replace them both.

--
Mark
--

ink.net...

Old March 27th 05, 05:40 AM
Richard Catrambone

Mark C. wrote:
> It's the regulator. Trust me. Replace them both.

Well, I've taken everything out of the door. Nothing looks too dinged
up. I guess I'll go ahead and replace the regulator and the rollers and
grease up everything really well. One thing I did notice is that the
coating or fabric or whatever in the side rail--if that is the name; the
part in which the non-hinge facing side of the window rides in--is
dinged up in various spots. I wonder if that could also be a source of
the problem. If it is, is there some sort of teflon coating or whatever
I could spray in there or do I just need to replace it?

Finally, the scissors mechanism connected to the regulator mechanism
looks okay. Again though, given that I have everything out, I wonder if
it is worth replacing...

Thanks,

Richard