Radio question.

Old March 3rd 05, 12:23 AM
Leon van Dommelen

Tom > wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:15:42 -0700, XS11E >
>wrote:
>

>>I wouldn't need the AC here in Phoenix if I was 50 again but as I get
>>older.....

>AC plays hell with my sinus....to be cool isn't enough payoff for
>being all dried up with a splitting headache when I get to where I'm
>going.
>
>It seems the older I get (on the darkside of 50) the more welcome the
>heat is.

In that case you should be happy. I stayed in Needles a night
over summer and it was hot like hell. The motel blowing the hot
exhaust of the AC system in the closed walkway between units made
quite an interesting walking experience.

Leon

> <><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old March 3rd 05, 12:28 AM
Leon van Dommelen

XS11E > wrote:

>pws > wrote in
>news >
>> I agree that there is not much on the radio that I want to listen
>> to anymore

>Traffic reports, they've saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

Over here in the morning they broadcast the streets that they
are having radar patrols and the intersections they are monitoring
for red lights that day.

Leon

Old March 3rd 05, 12:32 AM
Leon van Dommelen

Lanny Chambers > wrote:

>In article >,
> pws > wrote:
>
>> I was just pointing out that most people want a stereo so
>> that they can listen to more than just their exhaust note, no matter
>> what it sounds like.
>> I am sure that a poll would agree with this

>Sure it would. I'm just not part of the iPod generation. I don't need to
>hear constant background music to keep from getting bored.
>
>There are three main reasons why car radios don't interest me:
>
>1. My living room stereo long ago reached a level of quality that has
>has spoiled me for car radios (or Walkmen/iPods/MP3).
>
>b. The classical music I prefer is too dynamic to play in a noisy car.

Actually, if you are not picky, a compressor such as on my Zen
MP3 player removes that problem. Of course, it will not sound
anywhere near as spectacular as on a home system in a quiet
environment, but it remains audible through the range.

Leon

Old March 3rd 05, 01:01 AM
Dana H. Myers

Leon van Dommelen wrote:

> In that case you should be happy. I stayed in Needles a night
> over summer and it was hot like hell.

I would not be surprised if the dictionary were to someday read:

Hell: see Needles

Needles: see Hell

:-)
Old March 3rd 05, 01:49 AM
pws

Leon van Dommelen wrote:

> Actually, if you are not picky, a compressor such as on my Zen
> MP3 player removes that problem. Of course, it will not sound
> anywhere near as spectacular as on a home system in a quiet
> environment, but it remains audible through the range.
>
> Leon

Are you from the "Zen MP3 Player generation" or the "iPod generation"?
Does that MP3 player turn off or does it provide you with constant
background music? You must get awfully bored to want that music system
in your roadster. ;-)

Pat
Old March 3rd 05, 05:42 AM
XS11E

"Dana H. Myers" > wrote in
:

> Leon van Dommelen wrote:
>
>> In that case you should be happy. I stayed in Needles a night over
>> summer and it was hot like hell.

> I would not be surprised if the dictionary were to someday read:
>

> Hell: see Needles
>
> Needles: see Hell

You sound like someone who's never been in Barstow or stayed there
overnight at the KOA in a KwiKamp in the summer with 120F heat....

I carry a small electric heater, we hung it up, turned it on fan only
and slept on top of the covers. Surprisingly enough, it wasn't too
bad, there was a bit of a breeze and the fan helped but....

If the world ever needs an enema, Barstow is where they'll put the
needle....

Old March 3rd 05, 06:38 AM
Dana H. Myers

XS11E wrote:
> "Dana H. Myers" > wrote in
> :
>

>>Leon van Dommelen wrote:
>>

>>>In that case you should be happy. I stayed in Needles a night over
>>>summer and it was hot like hell.

>>I would not be surprised if the dictionary were to someday read:
>>

>>Hell: see Needles
>>
>>Needles: see Hell

> You sound like someone who's never been in Barstow or stayed there
> overnight at the KOA in a KwiKamp in the summer with 120F heat....

I've been to Barstow in the summer, several times (never camped
there, though). I lived in Lancaster for 10 years, got to know the
High Desert pretty well. Barstow is not the worst the Mojave Desert
has to offer. Needles is, in my book, worse, and Baker probably is, too.
There's just something about the way the heat lays in out in Needles.

I *did* have a very fascinating dinner one autumn evening
at the Bun Boy in Baker, over 20 years ago. While I ate,
a man wandered up to me and struck a conversation. He was
weathered, had been in the sun, mentioned fighting for freedom
in El Salvador, and, when I was finished eating, he winked
at the server and my money became worthless.

> If the world ever needs an enema, Barstow is where they'll put the
> needle....

I tend to think that Littlerock or maybe Ridgecrest might get that
honor. I'm not speaking well of Barstow, though.

Dana
Old March 3rd 05, 02:54 PM
Leon van Dommelen

pws > wrote:

>Leon van Dommelen wrote:
>
>> Actually, if you are not picky, a compressor such as on my Zen
>> MP3 player removes that problem. Of course, it will not sound
>> anywhere near as spectacular as on a home system in a quiet
>> environment, but it remains audible through the range.
>>
>> Leon

>Are you from the "Zen MP3 Player generation" or the "iPod generation"?
>Does that MP3 player turn off or does it provide you with constant
>background music? You must get awfully bored to want that music system
>in your roadster. ;-)

I will say that listening for weeks to my exhaust is not as exciting
to me as it apparently is for others. But boring does not usually
describe the places I drive, excluding some stretches of mid west.
It is just that I see no reason to turn off the MP3 player just
because I am on a twisty mountain road. Au contraire.