AC issue

Old June 26th 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Ken Lyons

Default AC issue

"Mac" > wrote
> Checked the drain and is it clear. Even took the hose off and checked
> it. Hose is located under the passenger side dash. will see it
> coming out of the evaporator. Ran the car for 15-20 minutes and the
> ac stayed on the whole time. Should it cycle on/off and if so how
> many times is normal or does it stay on all the time??? Does not
> seem like it is cycling right.

I am not an A/C expert, but think there is a thermostat involved that shuts
off the A/C when the temperature hits a certain point. If this thermostat is
broken, the A/C continues to work until the coils freeze up. Then it begins
blowing hot air. Once the coils unfreeze it works just fine. Until......
--
Ken Lyons '97 Brilliant Black/'90 Classic Red, both with working A/C
Inside the Beltway

Old June 26th 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen

"Frank Berger" > wrote:

>"pws" > wrote in message
.. .
>> miker wrote:
>>

>>> Are you saying the blockage is usually up in the under-dash unit rather
>>> than
>>> in the hose? I was going to blow air up from underneath but it sounds
>>> like
>>> taking the pipe off under the dash might be more useful.
>>>
>>> miker

>> On my last Miata, I removed the tube and poked a straightened coat hanger
>> wire into the box itself where I could feel it dislodging the debris and
>> then a lot of dirty water would come out, with some of it even landing in
>> the bucket I had in place.
>>
>> I had to do this maybe 3 times over about 5 or 6 years. I could have
>> removed the box and cleared the debris, but that it a fairly involved job.
>>
>> BTW, the drain tube itself was never blocked in my experience, it was
>> always the debris in the plastic box where the tube attaches, with this
>> car and on at least 3 other NA Miatas that I have unblocked.
>>
>> Pat

>Going on 11 years for me. Haven't had a problem. Curious.

I assume you do not park under trees in Florida.

Leon
--
Leon van Dommelen Bess, the Miata Bozo, the Miata
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
Old June 26th 07, 02:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Mac[_2_]

Seemed like it wored better today. I did poke up in the drain hole
but not if lossen anything or not. Will continue to check it more.
Thanks for all the info. If have any other problems will check the
thermostat.

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 21:10:57 GMT, "miker"

Old June 26th 07, 04:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

>>Going on 11 years for me. Haven't had a problem. Curious.

> I assume you do not park under trees in Florida.
>
> Leon
> --
> Leon van Dommelen Bess, the Miata Bozo, the Miata
> http://www.dommelen.net/miata
> The only thing better than a white Miata is two white Miatas

I'm thinking the bits of leaves get in thru the cowl at the base of the
windshield. There's screen type of protection but with leaves drying and
crunching up into small bits well, you know. They seem to make their way
from there. I doubt 'garaged' miatas will ever have a problem.

Chris
99BBB

Old June 26th 07, 08:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jeroen Feelders

Well, I actually own a 91 Miata with AC and haven't noticed the drain
before. Can't find it in the Workshop Manual too. Allthough I haven't got
any problems with my AC I'll crawl underneath the glove compartment soon and
have a look...

Jeroen

"Leon van Dommelen" > schreef in bericht
| "Jeroen Feelders" <http://mailto.feelders.com> wrote:
|
| >Just for my general knowledge: where is this drain situated? I guess it
runs
| >from the evaporator to ???
|
| I guess you still don't have many AC in the Netherlands. There is a short
| rubber hose that runs from behind the glove compartment to the
transmission
| tunnel, passenger side of course. People with NA cars with AC get used to
| finding water on the floor at the passenger side and taking out the hose
| unclog the exit of the evaporator enclosure behind the glove compartment
| by poking with a screwdriver.
|
| Leon
|
| >Jeroen
| >MX-5 Club Netherlands
| >
| >"Chris D'Agnolo" > schreef in bericht
| .. .
| >| I've dealt with this issue on several cars. Each time it's been the
same
| >| thing; the drain on the reservoir that the ac dumps the humidity into,
| >clogs
| >| up and the reservoir gets full. AC quits working. Often times (but not
| >| always) combined with soaking the carpets in the floorboards from
| >| 'sloshing'.
| >|
| >| Try this; car up on jack stands, running, ac on, (assuming it's not
| >| working), try running a wire up thru the drain hose from under the car.
| >You
| >| know, the one that normally drips when the ac is running. Often times
| >you'll
| >| be able to nudge some debris out of the way and the water will come
| >rushing
| >| out (smelling like you-know-what! If this works, at least you've
| >identified
| >| the problem. I haven't removed this and cleaned it out on a miata. Some
| >cars
| >| it's easy, others, it's a royal pain. Alternative; try to suck the
debris
| >| out with a shop vac and some creative hose adapters ;-)
| >|
| >| Keep us posted,
| >| Chris
| >| 99BBB
| >|
| >| "XS11E" > wrote in message
| >| . 184...

Cherokee,

| >|
| >|

Old June 26th 07, 02:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
miker

> I doubt 'garaged' miatas will ever have a problem.

Mine has been garaged its whole life, so there's one exception. Very seldom
do I get leaves on it.

miker

Old June 26th 07, 06:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Frank Berger wrote:

> Going on 11 years for me. Haven't had a problem. Curious.

Whatever you are doing, keep doing it.
That is the longest I have ever heard of an AC-equipped NA Miata going
without having this happen.

I am assuming that it is not from lack of use in Texas. :-)

Pat
Old June 26th 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

miker wrote:

> Ok, that was dead easy. Pull the tube off (no clamp or anything), poke a)
> stubby screwdriver; b) section of coathanger; c) hex key up there... as you
> say, I could feel almost a little crust I broke thru and water started
> draining. I caught most of it with a towel before realizing I coulda just
> put the dem tube back on.
>
> miker

Excellent, I never thought to quickly put the tube back on, that is far
too sensible.

I really wish that I had this problem to deal with right now.

As nice as it is not to have to worry about replacing an AC compressor,
freon, etc., that cool air is kind of nice as well.

Pat

Old June 26th 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

miker wrote:
>> I doubt 'garaged' miatas will ever have a problem.

> Mine has been garaged its whole life, so there's one exception. Very seldom
> do I get leaves on it.
>
> miker

I bought my last miata as a garage queen at 3 years old and 10,000
miles. It still clogged up within the year, though that was parking
outside once I owned it.

I am not disbelieving Frank for a second, but 11 years, wow.

What year is your's again, miker?

Pat
Old June 26th 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Mac[_2_]

Seemed to work fine today driving home in near 90 temp. And have the
nice puddle of water under the car when stopped. maybe it was clogged
some. Will keep checking and clean it out more this weekend. thanks
for all the help and discussion on this matter.

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 09:19:59 +0200, "Jeroen Feelders"

AC issue Mac Mazda 8 June 16th 06 07:54 AM
96 T&C odd pcm issue [email protected] Chrysler 3 January 1st 06 07:09 PM
96 T&C odd pcc issue [email protected] Chrysler 0 November 26th 05 05:24 PM
BMW X5 Oil issue [email protected] Technology 20 May 18th 05 11:23 AM
BMW X5 Oil issue [email protected] BMW 8 May 18th 05 11:23 AM