97 accord front brake replacement

Old December 19th 06, 04:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 97 accord front brake replacement

Hi everyone,

I have a 97 accord and front brakes need to be replaced. A mechanic gave me
a quote of $280 saying that the rotors were on the inside of the car and it
required a special lathe machine. I was wondering what do you guys think?

Thanks,
Wajahat

Old December 19th 06, 05:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

w wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a 97 accord and front brakes need to be replaced. A mechanic gave me
> a quote of $280 saying that the rotors were on the inside of the car and it
> required a special lathe machine. I was wondering what do you guys think?
>
> Thanks,
> Wajahat

i think you need to take it to a different mechanic that knows what
they're talking about - this one doesn't. you can replace the rotors
your self for maybe $120. it's 2 bolts and 2 screws. real easy and
real quick.
Old December 19th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"w" > wrote in :

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a 97 accord and front brakes need to be replaced. A mechanic
> gave me a quote of $280 saying that the rotors were on the inside of
> the car and it required a special lathe machine. I was wondering what
> do you guys think?

I believe your Accord's front rotor replacement requires the rotors to be
pressed off the hub, which requires prior removal of the steering knuckle.

The alternative is on-car lathing, which does not require rotor removal. It
may be this to with your mechanic refers.

If you're replacing the rotors, this would be a good time to replace the
lower balljoints if you've got some miles on the car. Most of the labor's
already been done at that point.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old December 19th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Tegger wrote:
> "w" > wrote in :
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have a 97 accord and front brakes need to be replaced. A mechanic
>> gave me a quote of $280 saying that the rotors were on the inside of
>> the car and it required a special lathe machine. I was wondering what
>> do you guys think?
>>

> I believe your Accord's front rotor replacement requires the rotors to be
> pressed off the hub, which requires prior removal of the steering knuckle.

yes, you're right, i was wrong. it changed to the more service friendly
configuration in 98, not 97.

> The alternative is on-car lathing, which does not require rotor removal. It
> may be this to with your mechanic refers.

indeed.

Old December 19th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

jim beam > wrote in
t:

> Tegger wrote:
>> "w" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I have a 97 accord and front brakes need to be replaced. A mechanic
>>> gave me a quote of $280 saying that the rotors were on the inside of
>>> the car and it required a special lathe machine. I was wondering
>>> what do you guys think?
>>>

>> I believe your Accord's front rotor replacement requires the rotors
>> to be pressed off the hub, which requires prior removal of the
>> steering knuckle.

> yes, you're right, i was wrong. it changed to the more service
> friendly configuration in 98, not 97.

I wasn't sure when the changeover occurred. Thanks for the clarification.