CV boot replacement

Old December 19th 06, 12:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Elle

Default CV boot replacement

If it's torn, the conventional and emphatic counsel is dirt
got into the joint, and it's going to fail soon.

Depending on how experienced you are, I'd buy a half-shaft
(which holds the inner and outer boots and joints for one
side) for $70 at Autozone (lifetime warranty) and do it
myself.

Replacing /just/ the boot takes more labor than slapping a
whole new halfshaft in.

You can also buy a rebuilt OEM halfshaft online for around
$135. See www.hondaautomotiveparts.com , for one.

"Peabody" > wrote

Old December 19th 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Elle

Data point for the archive:
Firestone replaced both of my 91 Civic's original outer
boots in mid-2000 at 112,000 miles. I do not know the exact
condition of the original boots when Firestone called and
recommended replacement; I was not hip to what CV boots were
all about until the last year or so. I would bet money the
replacement boots are non-OEM.

For the last several years I have inspected the boots
closely during at least twice yearly oil changes. After
another 6.5 years and at 186.5 miles, so far so good.

Tegger's, JT's, and other's comments on aftermarket boots
seem sound to me, since I am aware from other parts that the
OEM Honda rubber used in general is superior to aftermarket.
But if one is not going to keep the car long, one might
want to consider aftermarket.