the 2007 folding hard top

Old June 27th 06, 01:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default the 2007 folding hard top

>> I had a 1976 Citroen 2CV for a while in 1981 when I lived in France, and
>> when the starter broke I hand-cranked it for about a week until I got
>> around to getting it fixed. It was pretty easy with a two-cylinder, 600 cc
>> engine.
>>

> Couldn't you roll start it, or was it an automatic?

If I could park on a slope, I'd roll it, but at work the lot was flat so I'd
crank.

Barry

Old June 27th 06, 01:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default 2CV

> 17 hp? My lawnmower has 6 hp. How much did those cars weigh? I don't imagine
> that they were speed demons.

Mine was actually a 2CV-6, with a 600 cc engine that produced 33 hp, I think.
Top speed was about 65.

Barry

Old June 27th 06, 01:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

> Think of a lawn chair with wheels and a motor. Two strong people could
> lift the car.

One morning I was leaving my apartment in Paris, and a delivery van couldn't
make the turn onto my street because a 2CV was parked with its back end too
far from the curb. The driver asked if I could give him a hand, and the two
of us were easily able to scoot the back of the car over about a foot so he
could get by.

Barry

Old June 29th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In article >,
> Johnny Phenothiazine > wrote:
>
>> > PLLLLLLLLLLL...a Citroen could NEVER be described as
>> > "dangerous"...other things, maybe...

>> Evidently you never saw the movie "Going Places." A DS is plenty
>> dangerous after you've sawed three-quarters of the way through the
>> front axle!

> But we were talking 2CV. With 17 hp, you couldn't really go fast
> enough to hurt yourself. With 50 hp, it would be a deathtrap; with
> 17, it was only a boo-boo trap.

Oh man, I can still remember the last time I saw a 2CV in the wild. It was 8
AM and I was approaching the interchange where 43 meets 794 in Milwaukee. I
saw an old man wearing a brown fur cap with earflaps and he had a white
knuckle grip on the wheel as he merged ONTO the freeway. I simply couldn't
believe I was watching it--the traffic around him was moving at a pretty
good clip.

--
tooloud
Remove nothing to reply

Old June 30th 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"tooloud" > wrote:

>Lanny Chambers wrote:

>>> Evidently you never saw the movie "Going Places." A DS is plenty
>>> dangerous after you've sawed three-quarters of the way through the
>>> front axle!

>> But we were talking 2CV. With 17 hp, you couldn't really go fast
>> enough to hurt yourself. With 50 hp, it would be a deathtrap; with
>> 17, it was only a boo-boo trap.

>Oh man, I can still remember the last time I saw a 2CV in the wild. It was 8
>AM and I was approaching the interchange where 43 meets 794 in Milwaukee. I
>saw an old man wearing a brown fur cap with earflaps and he had a white
>knuckle grip on the wheel as he merged ONTO the freeway. I simply couldn't
>believe I was watching it--the traffic around him was moving at a pretty
>good clip.

Yes, the 20 hp did not make it any safer, even in the wide open US. On the
more densely populated European highways, it required a certain finesse.
Especially if there were lots of bridges with short, terminal merge strips.
There was often simply no way that after you had picked up a few miles per hour,
you could let go of them; merge or die. You quickly learned that even the
most aggressive European drivers would yield their undisputed right-of-way if
you were determined to violate it.

Leon
--
Leon van Dommelen Bess, the Miata Bozo, the Miata
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
Old June 30th 06, 11:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"tooloud" > wrote in message
> Lanny Chambers wrote:

>>> Evidently you never saw the movie "Going Places." A DS is plenty
>>> dangerous after you've sawed three-quarters of the way through the
>>> front axle!

>> But we were talking 2CV. With 17 hp, you couldn't really go fast
>> enough to hurt yourself. With 50 hp, it would be a deathtrap; with
>> 17, it was only a boo-boo trap.

> Oh man, I can still remember the last time I saw a 2CV in the wild. It was
> 8 AM and I was approaching the interchange where 43 meets 794 in
> Milwaukee. I saw an old man wearing a brown fur cap with earflaps and he
> had a white knuckle grip on the wheel as he merged ONTO the freeway. I
> simply couldn't believe I was watching it--the traffic around him was
> moving at a pretty good clip.

I once took a 7-hour journey in a CV as a passenger with a
very-soon-to-be-ex-girlfriend; it was perfect, actually, because the car was
so loud (motorway nearly all the way) that we wouldn't have been able to
talk even if we'd had anything to say to one another. The noise is pretty
much all I remember about the car so it couldn't have been all that bad...

Eric

Hard brake pedal when cold [email protected] VW water cooled 1 June 23rd 05 11:45 PM
hard to start curbrider Jeep 7 June 6th 05 02:11 AM
E46 Ci - Rear Tray & Folding Seats Noises Class 1 BMW 3 November 11th 04 09:21 AM
Assistance needed with Spider '91 hard top Dimitris Alfa Romeo 0 September 3rd 04 02:40 PM
Clutch pedal hard to press in hot weather (Alfa 156) Steven Spits Alfa Romeo 1 July 16th 04 12:02 PM