Zipperless top????

Old April 4th 05, 03:56 PM
XS11E

Default Zipperless top????

How the heck do these things work with a glass window? I've got an
almost new top on my 1992 with the zippered window and I really can't
see how the no zipper type would allow the top to be lowered.

Can someone explain it or do I need to go pester the dealer to show me
one?

BTW, as I said, my top is near new so I'm not going to be getting a new
one any time soon, I hope! I plan on living with the zipper for a long
time and, in Phoenix, that's not a problem, I've only had the top up
once I think...... I prefer it down.

Old April 4th 05, 04:42 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
XS11E > wrote:

> How the heck do these things work with a glass window? I've got an
> almost new top on my 1992 with the zippered window and I really can't
> see how the no zipper type would allow the top to be lowered.

The rearmost armature bow is not attached to the top. It folds forward
to make room for the window.

--
Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
'94C
Old April 4th 05, 05:14 PM
pws

Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In article >,
> XS11E > wrote:
>

>>How the heck do these things work with a glass window? I've got an
>>almost new top on my 1992 with the zippered window and I really can't
>>see how the no zipper type would allow the top to be lowered.

> The rearmost armature bow is not attached to the top. It folds forward
> to make room for the window.

I did the modification to my 1996 frame that allowed me to use a 1999+
top. This site shows how to do it. Even if you are not doing the
conversion, the site has a very good explanation and pictures of the
differences between the way that the tops are attached to the two
different frames.

http://www.camsmx5.com/techtop.html

pat
Old April 4th 05, 10:58 PM
XS11E

pws wrote in:

> Lanny Chambers wrote:
>> In article >,
>> XS11E > wrote:
>>

>>>How the heck do these things work with a glass window? I've got
>>>an almost new top on my 1992 with the zippered window and I
>>>really can't see how the no zipper type would allow the top to be
>>>lowered.

>> The rearmost armature bow is not attached to the top. It folds
>> forward to make room for the window.
>>

> I did the modification to my 1996 frame that allowed me to use a
> 1999+ top. This site shows how to do it. Even if you are not doing
> the conversion, the site has a very good explanation and pictures
> of the differences between the way that the tops are attached to
> the two different frames.
>
> http://www.camsmx5.com/techtop.html

Thanks, that explains it!
Old April 6th 05, 12:09 AM
Ken Lyons

"Lanny Chambers" > wrote
> The rearmost armature bow is not attached to the top. It folds forward
> to make room for the window.

And....at least comparing the Robbins no-zip to the OEM plastic, the glass
window is smaller (vertical measurement).
--
Ken Lyons '97 Brilliant Black/'90 Classic Red
Inside the Beltway