Dirty Knuckles

Old March 10th 05, 06:07 PM
TerryB

Default Dirty Knuckles

I have finally took a step into my bug engine. After the motor sitting
in my shop, since last summer, collecting saw dust. I decided last night
to go start the process of tearing into it to check the compression
ration and fix a couple things that need attention. With temps in the
40's, it was not too bad a night to work.

I started a list of things needed as I pulled stuff off. Not too long
of a list yet as I only got down to the heads last night from a complete
engine with tins and exhaust. Yep, I was in no hurry and took my time.
I got the shroud off and found a couple tenants that needed evicting.
Rats are wonderous creatures that can access areas that my thick fingers
can not even attempt to reach.

Sitting on top of each bank of cylinders were wads and wads of various
materials gathered from God only knows where, mixed with a rather rich
amount of wood shavings. After careful proding, I determined that there
were no live occupants in either nest. Now enters the shop vac, I
started the noise maker from Hell and began the extraction. Most of the
nest came out with no effort. Just as I was finishing the last part of
the first nest, something caught my eye. It was gray and furry and then
it was gone into the vac hose as fast as I saw it. Not knowing if it
was live or dead was soon determined by the stench that filled the
exhaust air from the shop vac. Dead!! And man, for such a small
animal, they really pack a stench. Pewwww!!! I had to shut the vac off
and take that little fuz ball out side and dump the contents, quick.

With the stink bomb removed, I finished the eviction with no futher
surprises. I am glad I use rat poison in the shop as I would have
soiled myself if that little guy had come bailing out at me. I also
have to keep the rat population down as they bring other vistors during
the summer time. SNAKES!!! I had to remove a small one last summer
that I almost put my hand on. It was only a rat snake, but still leaves
marks on good undies nuntheless. I also found a skin of a snake that
was well over 6 feet long and couple inches in diameter. I decided
right then that my rat poison had been eaten up and needed to be
refreshed. I really really really hate snakes!!!!

Back to the engine, I got the engine down to bare. I opened the valve
covers and removed the rockers and push rods. Found one push rod that
has been rubbing on something, not bad, but enough to leave a polished
ring all the way around it. I labeled each push rod as to where it came
out so I can put them back in where they were. This is where I stopped,
went in the house and broke out the Bug Me Video #3 for engine
rebuilding and watched that for an hour or so for inspiration.
Truly a great video to have, lots of good info.

My plans for now will not take me inside the block, unless I find
something that requires going deeper. I plan on pulling the heads,
cylinders and looking things over on the inside via the jug holes. The
engine ran fine other than showing to be running above normal heat on
the cylinder head temp gauge. I checked it on both sides and found both
reading to be high as to RAMVA recommendations. I never installed
spacers on the jugs nor did I CC the heads(Stupid rookie).

It is nice to be buggin again and I am ready to have my bug running
again, I have truly missed the rides with my kids.

Sorry for the novel!!!

--
Terry B
AKA VDUBBS
Old March 10th 05, 09:16 PM
Speedy Jim

TerryB wrote:
<SNIP>

> Just as I was finishing the last part of
> the first nest, something caught my eye. It was gray and furry and then
> it was gone into the vac hose as fast as I saw it.

ROFLMAO !!

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old March 10th 05, 10:56 PM
Eric

When stripping my 68 Bug vert some years ago inside my shed.....I was
sitting quietly thinking about the next step I would take and.....lo and
behold...small field mice were scrambling in and out of my swiss cheese
heater channels. In and out, peeking and poking through. They were living
in the heater box connection tubes...nicely insulated and full of nesting
materials. What a playground they had..like a gerbil tube habitat....had to
suck them out with a shop vac......I could hear them hit the bottom..what a
ride....I took them for a short ride and released them.....Eric 68 Bug vert
done 62 Ghia vert getting ready for paint..
. 1.4...

Old March 10th 05, 11:44 PM
Speedy Jim

Eric wrote:
> When stripping my 68 Bug vert some years ago inside my shed.....I was
> sitting quietly thinking about the next step I would take and.....lo and
> behold...small field mice were scrambling in and out of my swiss cheese
> heater channels. In and out, peeking and poking through. They were living
> in the heater box connection tubes...nicely insulated and full of nesting
> materials.

<SNIP>

LOL!
Look what they did to my '63:

http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/pics/63_88.JPG

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old March 11th 05, 06:35 AM
dragenwagen

wow jim those mice really chewed up the metal good on those heater
channels... : P
--
dragenwagen