In-the-tank fuel pumps cause death and destruction

Old November 1st 04, 07:56 PM
Isaiah Beard

Thomas Moats wrote:

>>How about a flaw in the diptube?

> dibtube? Do you mean the fill neck? Hole in the fuel tank system can be
> dangerous, but you need to look at basic laws of physics, you may not be so
> worried.

Not only that, but in all modern cars with the epa-mandated evap
collection system, if there is a leak detected by a loss in tank
pressure, an idiot lamp will come on in the dash, letting you know that
something is wrong. Same is true if you drive away from the gas station
without putting your gas cap on tight... after about 35 miles or so, the
ECM will see that as a leak in the system, and an SES lamp will come on.

And you DO get your car checked out when you have an indication that
something is wrong... right?

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

Old November 1st 04, 07:56 PM
Isaiah Beard

Old November 1st 04, 07:58 PM
Isaiah Beard

Matt Whiting wrote:

> I'm more worried about an inadvertant air bag deployment than I am about
> my gas tank exploding. The former is much more likely than that latter
> and I've heard of several occurrences of unintended airbag deployment.

Well, nearly every occurrence of an airbag deployment that I've heard of
is unintended... most people, unless they intend to commit suicide or
ditch a car and fraudulently claim insurance, do not intend to crash and
trigger the airbags.

However, there have been a couple of *unwarranted* airbag deployments
that I've heard of.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

Old November 1st 04, 07:58 PM
Isaiah Beard

Old November 1st 04, 11:37 PM
Full_Name

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 06:35:49 -0600, "Hairy" >
wrote:

><snip>
>
>The gas heaters were mounted above the fuel tank and had their own electric
>fuel pump.

Guess the two that I'd seen on had identical aftermarket units put on
then. Luckily I've not "had the pleasure" of working on an old Beetle
in over 15 years. :-)
Old November 1st 04, 11:37 PM
Full_Name

Old November 2nd 04, 12:08 AM
Bill 2

"Ken Weitzel" > wrote in message

> How about at the final few minutes of running out of
> fuel?

> How about turning on the ignition (running the pump
> for a few secs) when the tank is "empty" ?

I try to keep gas in my fuel tank, mainly to avoid the inconvenience of
running out of gas. I guess I get the added benefit of not having my fuel
pump explode. It actually works out not too bad.

Old November 2nd 04, 12:08 AM
Bill 2