Question about engine oil sludge

Old October 31st 04, 08:18 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"pawn" > wrote in message

> said that hours before you offered your well thought out post. Could it
> be that you see your place in the scheme of things as a small little man
> that really hasn't yet challenged anyone in the outside world that's
> willing to trounce you. Because, that's pretty much how I read it.
> Feel free to enlighten me otherwise.

Matt, don't bother. I'll tell it to him again since he obviously doesen't
have
it through his thick head yet. Pawn, 127,000 miles on the original coolant
is not proper maintenance.

Ted

Old October 31st 04, 01:46 PM
Matt Whiting

pawn wrote:

> Matt Whiting wrote:
>

>> 127,000 miles on the original coolant is not proper maintenance.

> Well, you certainly have an opinion and I encourage that from special
> people like you.
>
>> You must value my opinion or you wouldn't have bothered to respond. :-)

> No, I don't. If that's how you epect to sneak your idiocy through
> Usenet, sorry, everyone knows that trick. But, hey, I'll give you a
> chance. Give one good reason why you thought it was a good idea to
> challenge me on this subject, but not Bill Putney? I mean, he claimed
> to have not changed his coolant until the same mileage as me. And he
> said that hours before you offered your well thought out post. Could it
> be that you see your place in the scheme of things as a small little man
> that really hasn't yet challenged anyone in the outside world that's
> willing to trounce you. Because, that's pretty much how I read it. Feel
> free to enlighten me otherwise.

Because I know that Bill is already hopeless. :-)

Also, you made a comment about being only your second oil change. That
is even worse, although, the way you phrased it, it could be that you
just recently changed to synthetic oil and it is just your second change
on synthetic, but that wasn't clear from your post.

Matt

Old October 31st 04, 01:46 PM
Matt Whiting

Old October 31st 04, 05:02 PM
pawn

Matt Whiting wrote:
> pawn wrote:
>

> Also, you made a comment about being only your second oil change. That
> is even worse, although, the way you phrased it, it could be that you
> just recently changed to synthetic oil and it is just your second change
> on synthetic, but that wasn't clear from your post.

Aaahhh..a misunderstanding. That *would* be horribly negligent. Sorry.

Old October 31st 04, 05:02 PM
pawn

Old October 31st 04, 09:15 PM
Bill Putney

Matt Whiting wrote:

> Because I know that Bill is already hopeless. :-)

Gee - thanks, Matt. Actually, a body shop replaced the coolant about 3
years ago when making accident repairs (hose got punctured) - this will
be the first time *I* am replacing it. I just didn't feel it was
necessary to explain every insiginificant detail. My posts are
generally long enough as it is. 8^)

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')

Old October 31st 04, 09:15 PM
Bill Putney

Old October 31st 04, 09:38 PM
Matt Whiting

Bill Putney wrote:

> Matt Whiting wrote:
>
>> Because I know that Bill is already hopeless. :-)

> Gee - thanks, Matt. Actually, a body shop replaced the coolant about 3
> years ago when making accident repairs (hose got punctured) - this will
> be the first time *I* am replacing it. I just didn't feel it was
> necessary to explain every insiginificant detail. My posts are
> generally long enough as it is. 8^)

I just couldn't resist! :-) Glad to hear that you aren't a maintenance
laggard like the other poster.

Matt

Old October 31st 04, 09:38 PM
Matt Whiting

Old January 1st 05, 04:07 AM

Toyota PROMISED to take care of this problem. Apparently, it hasn't
notified all 3.3 million owners nor is it interested in actually
following through with this program! HOT AIR from Toyota! When is
Toyota going to really take the responsibility for the defective
engines?!?

ALERT! Toyota Engine Oil Gelation (Sludge) Policy....READ!

Has Toyota notified you about its "Customer Support Program" for
"Engine Oil Gelation?"

Who: Owners of 1997-2002 Toyota and Lexus vehicles with 3.0L IMZ V-6
engines and all 1997-2001 Toyota vehicles with the now discontinued
2.2L
four cylinder engines. Nine models are included.

What: Engine oil sludge accumulation in the oil pan, valve covers,
and/or
cylinder heads with possible symptoms such as blue smoke on cold start
up
and oil consumption. Toyota maintains this "oil gelation" is caused by
the
owner's improper maintenance of the vehicle! The owners disagree.

When: Former, current, and repeat repairs for sludge-related damage are
covered for a period of 8 years from date of first sale or lease with
unlimited mileage. This coverage includes all reasonable incidental
expenses. If questions, consult with affected owners in the groups
listed
below.

Whe Effective April 3, 2002. Contact the Toyota hotline at
1-888-802-9436. You'll be asked to show a reasonable effort (not all
oil
change receipts are required) to regularly maintain your vehicle.
Toyota
considers this a generous offer especially since the owner is at fault!
Proceed cautiously.

What if you have received no letter? OR, you want more information?

1) First, notify Toyota via certified letter with return receipt
requested
and give your case details. Let it know you have NOT received your
letter.
Ask it when you will get your letter, too.

2) Notify the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov and the Federal Trade Commission at
http://www.ftc.gov. NHTSA: 1-800-424-9393.

3) Also, file with the Center for Auto Safety at
http://www.autosafety.org
and Consumer Affairs at http://www.consumeraffairs.com. Read other
owner
stories there.

4) Visit the "Toyota" folder in Cartrackers "Forums" at
http://www.cartrackers.com and find the links to articles listed there.
You
should also post your own story there for others to read.

5) Read the third Automotive News article "Toyota broadens
sludge-repair
program--Automaker alters V-6, insists neglect is cause" by Richard
Truett
published on April 4, 2002.

What if you want to do MORE in the way of consumer action? OR, you
don't
qualify for CSP?

6) Join other owners in the "Toyota Sludge Yahoo Group" at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/toyotasludge. Subscribe at
." Post at
."

7) Join "Toyota Owners Unite for Resolution" at
http://communities.msn.com/ToyotaOwn...eForResolution. Read other
owner
stories there.

8) Visit the "Complaint Station for Toyota" at
http://www.thecomplaintstation.com. Please ignore those who are
strongly
countering the legitimate complaints of other Toyota owners who have
had
major problems.

9) Visit Edmund's Town Hall at http://www.edmunds.com. First, you must
obtain a login and password to be able to access the original (over
6,000
posts) "Engine Sludge?" discussion that began January 5, 2001. There
are
other Toyota sludge discussions. All Toyota sludge discussions have
been
CLOSED at this site as of May, 2002.

10) Read other stories and post your own at http://www.RipOffReport.com
under "Toyota" or "Lexus."

11) Contact for more resources and links, as well as
discuss other concerns with your Toyota vehicle, customer service, or
warranty issues. Network with other owners to stay informed on these
auto
consumer matters and to work collectively! Stay-tuned

Bill D wrote:
> You have probably heard about oil sludge problems causing engine

failure on
> several engines including the Chrysler 2.7L V6 used in Intrepids from

> 1998-2004, Toyota 3L V6 used in Camry's and even the Volkswagen 1.8L

Turbo
> engine used in lots of VWs and Audis. The common reason given is too
> infrequent oil changes. The fix is to use synthetic oil and keep it

current.

> That's what I thought, but last Saturday, I was listening to a show

on the
> radio in Denver called NAPA auto care. The mechanics said that the

sludging
> problem is actually caused by a combination of distributor-less high

energy
> ignition systems and coolant that had not been changed. Evidently,

the
> fast-rising current spike travelling through the block induces

sludging???

> I found that very confusing. Do any of you know more, or were these

guys