Oh no! Yet another tools thread. (Upholstery removers)

Old November 19th 13, 06:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default Oh no! Yet another tools thread. (Upholstery removers)

I see a one or two 9 mil and a 6.something (one of two) mil forks in a catalog
at a local snap-on dealer wannabe (no snap-on is sold here, hence the wannabe .

Which cars typically have fatter pins and which ones the thinner ones?
Would rather not buy both to pluck the rear gate covers off on my A4

(I'm sure flat screwdriver wrapped in some cloth might work,
I'm also sure I'll break some pins)
Old November 20th 13, 05:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat Body Roll Works LLC wrote:
> On 11/19/13, 4:43 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

>>> If they're "christmas trees" you'll break some anyway. Not sure what
>>> size they are on Audi but I think VW typically uses smaller fasteners
>>>
>>> nate
>>>

>> Forgot to add, snap-on is overkill for trim tools, I use a Harbor
>> Freight set of plastic (nylon?) pry bars instead. Saving my money for
>> when Snap-On quality really matters.
>>

> ok, as long as plastic ones don't break I guess I'll save some money
> and buy a set for a price of a single.
> thanks Nate

The nylon ones are the same set that most of the high dollar outfits
sell. Also look at the plier type. Those are nice for the trees. No
prying , just slip them in place and squeeze. And again the HF units are
sold under "brand names" by other companies.

--
Steve W.
Old November 20th 13, 05:52 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Old November 20th 13, 08:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 8:47:29 AM UTC+3, Steve W. wrote:
> Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat Body Roll Works LLC wrote:

> >> Forgot to add, snap-on is overkill for trim tools, I use a Harbor

> >> Freight set of plastic (nylon?) pry bars instead. Saving my money for

> >> when Snap-On quality really matters.

> > ok, as long as plastic ones don't break I guess I'll save some money

> > and buy a set for a price of a single.

> > thanks Nate

> The nylon ones are the same set that most of the high dollar outfits
>
> sell. Also look at the plier type. Those are nice for the trees. No
>
> prying , just slip them in place and squeeze. And again the HF units are

google search lead to ebay where the prices list in about $12-24 range

they are typically pictured next to a bag of [ shaped steel clips
(kinda like bent nails). What the heck are these for?
Old November 20th 13, 04:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

wrote:

>>> ok, as long as plastic ones don't break I guess I'll save some money

>>> and buy a set for a price of a single.

>>> thanks Nate

>> The nylon ones are the same set that most of the high dollar outfits
>>
>> sell. Also look at the plier type. Those are nice for the trees. No
>>
>> prying , just slip them in place and squeeze. And again the HF units are
>>

> google search lead to ebay where the prices list in about $12-24 range
>
> they are typically pictured next to a bag of [ shaped steel clips
> (kinda like bent nails). What the heck are these for?

These?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rn...FQbNOgodHDgAlA

they retain the window handles and sometimes door handles on old cars
that use roll up windows. There's a tool for those too

http://www.handsontools.com/Lisle-18...er_p_3962.html

although you usually don't have to use the installer end, just put the
clip on the handle and smack it in place usually works. The remover end
is awful handy though. Wrap it with masking tape to save your door panels.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old November 20th 13, 08:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

wrote:
>>> ok, as long as plastic ones don't break I guess I'll save some
>>> money and buy a set for a price of a single. thanks Nate

>> The nylon ones are the same set that most of the high dollar
>> outfits sell. Also look at the plier type. Those are nice for the trees. No
>> prying , just slip them in place and squeeze. And again the HF
>> units are
>>

> google search lead to ebay where the prices list in about $12-24
> range
>
> they are typically pictured next to a bag of [ shaped steel clips
> (kinda like bent nails). What the heck are these for?

Different tool. The ones you refer to are hog rings and hog ring pliers.
They are what is used to hold the seat upholstery on some cars.

The pliers I mentioned are HF item #67399 Panel Clip pliers. They are
great for popping door panels off quick and with very little damage to
the trees.

--
Steve W.
Old November 22nd 13, 02:37 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Geoff Welsh

wrote:

>>> The nylon ones are the same set that most of the high dollar
>>> outfits sell. Also look at the plier type. Those are nice for the
>>> trees. No
>>> prying , just slip them in place and squeeze. And again the HF
>>> units are
>>>

>> google search lead to ebay where the prices list in about $12-24
>> range
>>
>> they are typically pictured next to a bag of [ shaped steel clips
>> (kinda like bent nails). What the heck are these for?

> Different tool. The ones you refer to are hog rings and hog ring pliers.
> They are what is used to hold the seat upholstery on some cars.
>
> The pliers I mentioned are HF item #67399 Panel Clip pliers. They are
> great for popping door panels off quick and with very little damage to
> the trees.

and the stronger/better expensive version is:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

GW
Old November 22nd 13, 07:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

wrote:

>>> google search lead to ebay where the prices list in about $12-24
>>> range
>>>
>>> they are typically pictured next to a bag of [ shaped steel clips
>>> (kinda like bent nails). What the heck are these for?

>> Different tool. The ones you refer to are hog rings and hog ring pliers.
>> They are what is used to hold the seat upholstery on some cars.
>>
>> The pliers I mentioned are HF item #67399 Panel Clip pliers. They are
>> great for popping door panels off quick and with very little damage to
>> the trees.
>>

> and the stronger/better expensive version is:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

> GW

I have both. The only thing the Snap-ons do better is suck money out of
your wallet. The HF ones actually have more comfortable grips as well.

--
Steve W.

Time-Serts thread repair tools to lend? DaveC Technology 2 July 1st 09 04:28 AM
popes upholstery cyberlee Jeep 0 May 12th 08 09:57 PM
AWA [OFFER] Genuine HeliCoil Thread Repair Kit HeliCoil Inserts HeliCoil Gauge & Thread [email protected] General 0 May 3rd 06 11:51 AM
Cloth upholstery for E-36 David BMW 7 January 29th 06 12:26 AM
upholstery patterns Pi-Eyed Piper VW air cooled 2 September 29th 05 06:54 PM