Ack!!!! Undercar fuel line replacement?!?!

Old August 2nd 05, 06:43 PM
Philip Nasadowski

Default Ack!!!! Undercar fuel line replacement?!?!

Ok, here's what happened - yesterday, I hit some sort of debris on Rt3
in NJ. Well, anyway, it apparently punched a hole in the return line,
right under the driver's side door where it bends inward.

It's plastic, and patching it's gonna be a bitch, cause it's on the
curve.

How hard is it to just replace the whole line with one from a junker?
I'm away from my big toolbox, but I do have a small garage and space to
patch things up....

*sigh*

Thanks for any help/advice!
Old August 2nd 05, 11:05 PM
NapalmHeart

"Philip Nasadowski" > wrote in message
> Ok, here's what happened - yesterday, I hit some sort of debris on Rt3
> in NJ. Well, anyway, it apparently punched a hole in the return line,
> right under the driver's side door where it bends inward.
>
> It's plastic, and patching it's gonna be a bitch, cause it's on the
> curve.
>
> How hard is it to just replace the whole line with one from a junker?
> I'm away from my big toolbox, but I do have a small garage and space to
> patch things up....
>
> *sigh*
>

> Thanks for any help/advice!

I'm not sure how to do this job, but I do know you are on the right path.
Patching the fuel line is a no-no.

Maybe Lane has the info on this one?

Ken

Old August 3rd 05, 12:06 AM
Philip Nasadowski

In article >,
"NapalmHeart" > wrote:

> I'm not sure how to do this job, but I do know you are on the right path.
> Patching the fuel line is a no-no.

Right now, I've got the replacement on order from the dealer. $72 for a
freaking hose. The used places out here will NOT sell you a used one.
nobody sells patchup kits. Well, I've got to patch it to get it home,
maybe i'll just slap some JB Weld over it or wrap it in e tape or
whatever. It's the _return_ line, not high pressure, and at worst,
it'll just leak onto the ground - it's nowhere near the exhaust/cat.

Big deal, if the car burns, at least I've got an excuse to finally dump
the thing.
Old August 3rd 05, 12:08 AM
Oppie

In a pinch, you can cut out the damaged section and slip the next larger
size of neoprene fuel line over the ends and secure with clamps. Don't know
what the other models use but on my LW300, they use plastic (Nylon?) tubes
for fuel feed, return and vapor. The lines are held in plastic clamps on the
underside of the chassis. Removing the end from any fitting involves
squeezing the green locker and gently pulling the tube out of the O-ring
seal. Mating is the opposite, push in the tube then press in the green
keeper till it clicks.

Old August 4th 05, 04:45 AM
Lane

> Maybe Lane has the info on this one?

Even though this is a low pressure line and you probably could rig a patch
with a hose and some clamps, it's not worth the risk (IMO). The $72 that
Philip mentioned isn't bad as far as OEM parts costs go. I recently priced
out replacement O-rings for the fuel injectors, and a set costs more than
that.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www.evilplastic.com

Old August 4th 05, 07:42 AM
NapalmHeart

"Philip Nasadowski" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "NapalmHeart" > wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure how to do this job, but I do know you are on the right path.
>> Patching the fuel line is a no-no.

> Right now, I've got the replacement on order from the dealer. $72 for a
> freaking hose. The used places out here will NOT sell you a used one.
> nobody sells patchup kits. Well, I've got to patch it to get it home,
> maybe i'll just slap some JB Weld over it or wrap it in e tape or
> whatever. It's the _return_ line, not high pressure, and at worst,
> it'll just leak onto the ground - it's nowhere near the exhaust/cat.
>
> Big deal, if the car burns, at least I've got an excuse to finally dump
> the thing.

For a temp patch, try Seals All. I've used it to stop a running fuel leak
from a punctured tank.

Ken

Old August 4th 05, 08:55 AM
NapalmHeart

Never mind. I didn't see your posting that you replaced it before I posted
this.