Can you siphon gas from a 97 Accord LX? Need quick answer!

Old November 10th 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Ranking

Default Can you siphon gas from a 97 Accord LX? Need quick answer!

Today or tomorrow is my last chance to siphon any gas.

Here's the deal: My 97 Accord was totaled last week, the day after I
filled the tank. The other driver was cited, it was his fault, but his
insurance company won't pay for the gas. So I'm trying to siphon it
out.

The hood is smashed in, so I can't get to the fuel injector to get the
gas that way, and my attempts to siphon out any gas from the tank have
yielded about a cup's worth of gas.

I need to do this tonight or tomorrow as we've settled up and until
they receive my letter, the car and gas are still mine. It's sitting
at a collision center so I have to drag my tools with me.

I've tried shoving a thick piece of wire down the neck to see if there
was a secondary flap, or some sort of screen stopping the siphoning
device I purchased from the auto store, but that didn't work, it was
about 2 ft long.

So, last chance to do this and dammit I'm willing to try! They paid me
119 dollars less than I paid for the car about a year ago, so that was
pretty nice. But if I can get 40 bucks worth of gas out of the thing,
that would be sweet and I've nothing better to do with my time, lol.

Any suggestions? Like I said, I can't get to the fuel injectors, the
front end is all smashed in.

Thanks much, and I gotta say, those 97 airbags are pretty sweet. The
thing still starts and the horn even works! I was only going 25, but
man, they helped.

Old November 12th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"Ranking" > wrote in message oups.com...
> So, last chance to do this and dammit I'm willing to try! They paid me
> 119 dollars less than I paid for the car about a year ago, so that was
> pretty nice. But if I can get 40 bucks worth of gas out of the thing,
> that would be sweet and I've nothing better to do with my time, lol.

Yes, it is pretty pathetic... :-)

> Any suggestions?

Are you sure the fuel is still there?
Maybe it was already drained out for safety?
All cars going to the junkyard are drained off all fluids which
are then recycled to prevent pouring them to the ground.

> Thanks much, and I gotta say, those 97 airbags are pretty sweet. The
> thing still starts and the horn even works! I was only going 25, but
> man, they helped.

If you ask for suggestions I would tell you - forget about the gas
and spend some time towards something more usefull, like
looking for a nice replacement car...
Old November 12th 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Ranking > wrote:
> The hood is smashed in, so I can't get to the fuel injector to get the
> gas that way, and my attempts to siphon out any gas from the tank have
> yielded about a cup's worth of gas.

I have several vehicles where it isn't possible to siphon gas because of
the route of the fuel filler into the tank. If the filler is in the left
rear fender, and the fuel tank is ahead of the rear suspension, there are
probably a few 90 degree angles in the filler route. Gasoline can follow
that route, but your siphon hose won't.