Persistant clutch hydraulic leak

Old November 5th 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Frank Boettcher

Default Persistant clutch hydraulic leak

Son's 97 accord had an obviously leaking slave cylinder, so he
recently changed it. The master was changed a year earlier. Bled it
down and all is well, good clutch disengagement everything working
properly.

However, about every three weeks the resevoir drains down and has to
be replenished. Have carefully checked both the master and slave, no
fluid leaking. Checked the resevoir to master piping, no leaks.
Checked all the piping to the damper, no leaks. Checked the damper to
the slave, no leaks.

Has to be leaking somewhere. But where?

Frank
Old November 5th 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Frank Boettcher > wrote in
:

> Son's 97 accord had an obviously leaking slave cylinder, so he
> recently changed it. The master was changed a year earlier. Bled it
> down and all is well, good clutch disengagement everything working
> properly.
>
> However, about every three weeks the resevoir drains down and has to
> be replenished. Have carefully checked both the master and slave, no
> fluid leaking. Checked the resevoir to master piping, no leaks.
> Checked all the piping to the damper, no leaks. Checked the damper to
> the slave, no leaks.
>
> Has to be leaking somewhere. But where?

Look under the dash at the pedal pushrod where it goes into the firewall.
Any fluid there?

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old November 6th 07, 03:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Frank Boettcher wrote:

> Son's 97 accord had an obviously leaking slave cylinder, so he
> recently changed it. The master was changed a year earlier. Bled it
> down and all is well, good clutch disengagement everything working
> properly.
>
> However, about every three weeks the resevoir drains down and has to
> be replenished. Have carefully checked both the master and slave, no
> fluid leaking. Checked the resevoir to master piping, no leaks.
> Checked all the piping to the damper, no leaks. Checked the damper to
> the slave, no leaks.
>
> Has to be leaking somewhere. But where?
>
> Frank

inside the car. when re-fitting a new master cylinder, pay attention to
the little drain hole at the bottom where it bolts on - make sure it's
not clogged with grease. it won't stop the cylinder leaking, but it'll
make sure it's visible and outside.
Old November 6th 07, 05:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dave L

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> Frank Boettcher > wrote in
> :
>

>> Son's 97 accord had an obviously leaking slave cylinder, so he
>> recently changed it. The master was changed a year earlier. Bled it
>> down and all is well, good clutch disengagement everything working
>> properly.
>>
>> However, about every three weeks the resevoir drains down and has to
>> be replenished. Have carefully checked both the master and slave, no
>> fluid leaking. Checked the resevoir to master piping, no leaks.
>> Checked all the piping to the damper, no leaks. Checked the damper to
>> the slave, no leaks.
>>
>> Has to be leaking somewhere. But where?
>>

> Look under the dash at the pedal pushrod where it goes into the firewall.
> Any fluid there?

I second that. Same thing happened on my old Prelude - dealership ordered a
new master cylinder. After they went in, it was a bad washer. They
replaced the washer and I never had to pay for the master cylinder - leak
was fixed.

-Dave

Old November 6th 07, 01:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Frank Boettcher

:

>> Son's 97 accord had an obviously leaking slave cylinder, so he
>> recently changed it. The master was changed a year earlier. Bled it
>> down and all is well, good clutch disengagement everything working
>> properly.
>>
>> However, about every three weeks the resevoir drains down and has to
>> be replenished. Have carefully checked both the master and slave, no
>> fluid leaking. Checked the resevoir to master piping, no leaks.
>> Checked all the piping to the damper, no leaks. Checked the damper to
>> the slave, no leaks.
>>
>> Has to be leaking somewhere. But where?
>>

>Look under the dash at the pedal pushrod where it goes into the firewall.
>Any fluid there?

First place I looked. Usually when they fail you get fluid passing by
the piston packing and oozing down the inside of the firewall.
Nothing there.

I'll have to check at different temperatures, maybe something is
opening up in either hot or cold conditions, or after heavy clutch
use. I've only checked it cold with someone both pumping and holding
the clutch pedal.

Frank
Old November 8th 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Frank Boettcher > wrote in
:

> On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 23:42:25 +0000 (UTC), Tegger >
> wrote:
>

>>Look under the dash at the pedal pushrod where it goes into the
>>firewall. Any fluid there?

> First place I looked. Usually when they fail you get fluid passing by
> the piston packing and oozing down the inside of the firewall.
> Nothing there.
>
> I'll have to check at different temperatures, maybe something is
> opening up in either hot or cold conditions, or after heavy clutch
> use. I've only checked it cold with someone both pumping and holding
> the clutch pedal.

Well, brake fluid doesn't just disappear into nothingness the way brake
cleaner or acetone do. It's leaking SOMEWHERE.

You need to do some very close investigation here.

Have you re-checked the slave, including peeling back the dust boot to see
what's inside?

Old November 8th 07, 01:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Frank Boettcher

:

>> On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 23:42:25 +0000 (UTC), Tegger >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>Look under the dash at the pedal pushrod where it goes into the
>>>firewall. Any fluid there?

>> First place I looked. Usually when they fail you get fluid passing by
>> the piston packing and oozing down the inside of the firewall.
>> Nothing there.
>>
>> I'll have to check at different temperatures, maybe something is
>> opening up in either hot or cold conditions, or after heavy clutch
>> use. I've only checked it cold with someone both pumping and holding
>> the clutch pedal.
>>

>Well, brake fluid doesn't just disappear into nothingness the way brake
>cleaner or acetone do. It's leaking SOMEWHERE.

Yep, I know.

>You need to do some very close investigation here.
>
>Have you re-checked the slave, including peeling back the dust boot to see
>what's inside?

Second place I looked. Nothing in the dust boot and when the clutch
pedal is pressed nothing coming past the piston rod, tubing connector,
or bleeder valve.

I'll go after it when I get the car back. Probably Thanksgiving.
Until then, son will have to check and fill periodically.

Frank
Frank
Old November 9th 07, 02:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Frank Boettcher > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 01:31:32 +0000 (UTC), Tegger >
> wrote:
>
>>Frank Boettcher > wrote in
m:

>>> First place I looked. Usually when they fail you get fluid passing
>>> by the piston packing and oozing down the inside of the firewall.
>>> Nothing there.
>>>
>>> I'll have to check at different temperatures, maybe something is
>>> opening up in either hot or cold conditions, or after heavy clutch
>>> use. I've only checked it cold with someone both pumping and
>>> holding the clutch pedal.
>>>

>>Well, brake fluid doesn't just disappear into nothingness the way
>>brake cleaner or acetone do. It's leaking SOMEWHERE.

> Yep, I know.
>>
>>You need to do some very close investigation here.
>>
>>Have you re-checked the slave, including peeling back the dust boot to
>>see what's inside?

> Second place I looked. Nothing in the dust boot and when the clutch
> pedal is pressed nothing coming past the piston rod, tubing connector,
> or bleeder valve.
>
> I'll go after it when I get the car back. Probably Thanksgiving.
> Until then, son will have to check and fill periodically.

Good luck.