Steering wheel lock plate

Old January 25th 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jimmie D

Default Steering wheel lock plate

I need to remove the lock plate on my 92 cherokee to replace the turn
signal/ dimmer switch but cant get the lock plate off.
I would cut the retaining clip if I knew I didnt need to put it back on. Its
just an old fishing car I use to pull my boat down to the lake so Im not
worried if the steering wheel doesnt lock.. YEs Ive seen the tools for doing
it and dont want to pay the money if I dont have to.

Thanks Jimmie

Old January 25th 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Our local auto parts stores will lend the tool out.

You might need two people to manually take it off if you are small. I
can lean onto the plate with one hand and pop the clip out with a
screwdriver and the other hand. I weigh about 210 though... You might
need two hands to bend the plate down...

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 25th 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff Strickland

DO NOT cut the retaining clip.

There is a Lock Ring Removal Tool that costs less than $10. It's kind of an
elongated U shape with a long bolt up the middle. As you turn the bolt, the
legs of the U push the locking plate down the steering column shaft. You can
then remove the snap ring and release the tool, the lock ring slides right
off after that.

An autoparts store that has a Loaner Tool Program will let you take the tool
home to use, then bring it back. It's almost the same as checking a book out
of the library, except you learn stuff and get dirty at the same time.

Old January 25th 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
The Reverend Natural Light

Easy.

Using two hands, push down evenly on both sides of the plate. Push
very hard and hold it down.

With your third hand, pull outward gently on the steering shaft.

With your fourth and fifth hands, pry the clip loose with small
screwdrivers or picks and slide it off the shaft.

Gently release the plate with hands 1 and 2.

-rev

Old January 25th 07, 09:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
[email protected]

ok, what would happen if I cut the ring, nobdy around has the tool. I
believe you when you say I shouldnt do it but still I am curious. Also
are the retainer rings available at the local parts store/ jeep dealer
should it go flying off into the bermuda grass.

JImmie

Old January 25th 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff Strickland

It's a standard GM Steering Wheel Lock Ring Removal Tool. The tool is as
common as electricity and water.

I think you can take the ring out without the tool, as another poster
suggested. Use two hands to hold the lock ring down, use your third and
fourth hands to remove the clip, the lock ring can then be lifted off.

The lock ring is held against the clip by a VERY strong spring. I haven't
tried very hard, but I think the clip is next to impossible to get off
without the removal tool. Mike Romain seems to think the clip can be
removed, but my experience was not the same. I had to go buy the tool
because I could not hold the ring down and pry the clip out at the same
time.

Here's a link to an eBay auction
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Steer...spagenameZWDVW

There are more listings using the search, STEERING WHEEL LOCK RING REMOVAL
TOOL

There are different configurations of essentially the same tool. On my CJ5,
I bought the GM Type of tool. It looks similar to the picture in the link,
but is narrower -- mine is about 2.5 inches wide, the picture looks to be
more like 5 inches to me.

I understand that you might not want to buy on eBay, but finding the product
you need might help you get it locally.

AutoZone has the tool, and they will let you use it for free.

oups.com...

Old January 25th 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

http://www.chevyasylum.com/column/tiltcol.html
http://www.nastyz28.com/tech/e-tiltcol.html
http://www.fieros.de/en/articles/steering.html
God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 26th 07, 12:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

Replace the solenoid, it is very common for them to weld together
especially with the high amperage draw with a bad starter, and a low
battery.
God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 26th 07, 01:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
[email protected]

Thanks Bill, You are THE MAN. WIfe went back to auto zone and she
managed to talk to someone who had a clue and they did have the tool
after all.

Also my steering column is a little wobbly, I hadnt planned on doing
anything about it just yet but with the info you supplied I will get er
done this weekend.

Thanks all
Jimmie
PS 264000 miles, I will be very happy if she sees 300K.

Old January 26th 07, 02:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
The Merg

Tightening up the wobbly column is a little intensive in that you have
to remove everything above the joint. Make sure you take pictures or
something to make sure you remember how everything came off.
I had a problem reinstalling mine because the bearings under the spring
behind the lockplate didn't seat correctly and I ended up bending the
lockplate and tearing up my turn signal switch, eventually leading me to
just buy a steering column from a junkyard.
i have pictures of mine, although Bill's links have a write-up, so
they'll probably be more help.
http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r...heel%20repair/

--
ÐÏࡱá