1995.... 626 question

Old February 14th 05, 08:12 PM
Fairplay

Default 1995.... 626 question

My teenage daughter's car..which has turned out to be like a boat...a hole
in the middle of the ocean whe all you do is dump money into it...
She came home the other nite..all the frikken lights in the dash on like a
christmas tree..I though it was overheating 'cause the heat gauge was all
the way to meltdown about to happen ...spent the whole day at a local Good
Year garage here in Miami and they couldnt get the car to overheat...
Well she drives to a friend's last nite, only a mile from here and the same
happenned, this time though.we left it running and floored the
accelerator...Bingo..all the lights went off and the heat gauge back to
normal..
What might be happenning here ?? Is It purely electrical ??? and nothing
will happen to the car ???

Thanks for any help you can gives us

Miamian with a headache !!!!

Old February 15th 05, 12:30 AM
Don Bruder

In article t>,
"Fairplay" > wrote:

> My teenage daughter's car..which has turned out to be like a boat...a hole
> in the middle of the ocean whe all you do is dump money into it...
> She came home the other nite..all the frikken lights in the dash on like a
> christmas tree..I though it was overheating 'cause the heat gauge was all
> the way to meltdown about to happen ...spent the whole day at a local Good
> Year garage here in Miami and they couldnt get the car to overheat...
> Well she drives to a friend's last nite, only a mile from here and the same
> happenned, this time though.we left it running and floored the
> accelerator...Bingo..all the lights went off and the heat gauge back to
> normal..

> What might be happenning here ?? Is It purely electrical ??? and nothing
> will happen to the car ???

Not what "might" be happening... What IS: An electrical screwup of the
first water.

My first instinct was "bad ground at device, device backfeeding through
dash wiring to get to ground", but that doesn't fit.

Next thought was "somebody dumped a soda in the dash". Nope, that don't
fit either...

The temp gauge being pegged - I'd ignore it. It's one of the symptoms.
Having it pegged fits with some kind of short, but I can't for the life
of me figure what could cause a short on so many separate circuits all
at the same time, and be something that revving the engine up would
cure...

Computer malfunction? Been struck by lightning while driving recently?

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html> for full details.
Old February 15th 05, 12:51 AM
Leon van Dommelen

"Fairplay" > wrote:

>My teenage daughter's car..which has turned out to be like a boat...a hole
>in the middle of the ocean whe all you do is dump money into it...
>She came home the other nite..all the frikken lights in the dash on like a
>christmas tree..I though it was overheating 'cause the heat gauge was all
>the way to meltdown about to happen ...spent the whole day at a local Good
>Year garage here in Miami and they couldnt get the car to overheat...
>Well she drives to a friend's last nite, only a mile from here and the same
>happenned, this time though.we left it running and floored the
>accelerator...Bingo..all the lights went off and the heat gauge back to
>normal..
>What might be happenning here ??

Maybe a short in the instrument cluster wiring, or the wiring
going to the instrument cluster? I had something similar when
the printed circuit board behind the instrument cluster in my
Miata got damaged.

> Is It purely electrical ??? and nothing
>will happen to the car ???
>
>Thanks for any help you can gives us
>
>Miamian with a headache !!!!

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old February 15th 05, 03:41 AM

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:12:59 GMT, "Fairplay" >
wrote:

>My teenage daughter's car..which has turned out to be like a boat...a hole
>in the middle of the ocean whe all you do is dump money into it...
>She came home the other nite..all the frikken lights in the dash on like a
>christmas tree..I though it was overheating 'cause the heat gauge was all
>the way to meltdown about to happen ...spent the whole day at a local Good
>Year garage here in Miami and they couldnt get the car to overheat...
>Well she drives to a friend's last nite, only a mile from here and the same
>happenned, this time though.we left it running and floored the
>accelerator...Bingo..all the lights went off and the heat gauge back to
>normal..
>What might be happenning here ?? Is It purely electrical ??? and nothing
>will happen to the car ???
>
>Thanks for any help you can gives us
>
>Miamian with a headache !!!!

Both times the problem was a night when she probably had the lights,
radio, and in Miami, the AC going. You may have either a loose
ground, or a partial ground. Check the grond wires going from the
body to the engine block (alternator) and the battery. One of them
may be crudded up or marginal.

Seen simialr behaviour on the instrumetn cluster on some GM with leaky
valve cover gaskets. The gread buildup on the ground wire cause
spurious signals that gunks up the electronic instruments.
Old February 15th 05, 08:16 PM
Fairplay

It seems like its a NITE problem...Bingo ... I'll double ck all ground wires
this PM, when she's bck from college...txs so much..I will post here the
results..

THKS to All the great people taking time to answer here !!!

Question: Regarding wheel offset and WTB: 1995 Jetta III steel wheel Timothy J. Richter VW water cooled 4 March 10th 07 03:51 PM
1995 Honda Passport -- Salvage Title Question ajpdla Honda 5 December 22nd 04 05:16 AM
1995 325is question 2 RyMal BMW 9 November 8th 04 11:15 AM
1995 Honda Passport - Wiring harness - Technical Question ajpdla Honda 0 November 1st 04 03:40 PM