Parking brake cable in 88 Jeep Comanche

Old August 5th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Clint[_1_]

Default Parking brake cable in 88 Jeep Comanche

First off, just wanted to say thanks for the info in this group. I was
recently able to fix my high idle speed when starting up my Comanche.
Turned out to be the Idle Speed Stepper Motor which was (once I found the
Torx drivers my wife had taken into the house) a 15 minute fix. I'm sure my
neighbors appreciate your input too!

Anywhoo, I posted in here awhile ago about adjusting the parking brake cable
on my Comanche, because it wasn't holding on any real slope. I kinda just
learned to live with it; set it in first, put on the parking brake, and life
wasn't too bad.

But now, the cable broke just at the pedal. I've got the new cable, but I
can't for the life of me find out where it runs from the cab of the truck to
the back wheels. Seems like it should be pretty simple, but no... Anyone
got a diagram, or pictures? My FSM doesn't cover things like this,
apparently.

Any advice appreciated.

Clint

Old August 6th 06, 05:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 18:32:15 UTC "Clint" > wrote:

> First off, just wanted to say thanks for the info in this group. I was
> recently able to fix my high idle speed when starting up my Comanche.
> Turned out to be the Idle Speed Stepper Motor which was (once I found the
> Torx drivers my wife had taken into the house) a 15 minute fix. I'm sure my
> neighbors appreciate your input too!
>
> Anywhoo, I posted in here awhile ago about adjusting the parking brake cable
> on my Comanche, because it wasn't holding on any real slope. I kinda just
> learned to live with it; set it in first, put on the parking brake, and life
> wasn't too bad.
>
> But now, the cable broke just at the pedal. I've got the new cable, but I
> can't for the life of me find out where it runs from the cab of the truck to
> the back wheels. Seems like it should be pretty simple, but no... Anyone
> got a diagram, or pictures? My FSM doesn't cover things like this,
> apparently.

Cable runs down behind the kick panel, along the driver side door
under the plastic panel and carpet. It then runs under the carpet
under the seat to a hole near the center of the rear of the cab. From
there, the cable and housing run to a bracket above and just forward
of the rear axle where it connects to a saddle yoke and the two wheels
cables.

When mine broke, I just pulled the end of the cable out, drilled out
the ferule and brazed it back on. Figutre it can break twice more
there before I run out of cable to work with - much faster than
replacing the whole cable assembly which requires pulling the seat,
carpet, and rear trim panel <g>.

--
Will Honea