Radio Interference

Old November 24th 04, 07:05 AM
Jim Beam

Default Radio Interference

"STEAL" > wrote in
news
> I know that nobody listens to AM radio anymore, but when I try to tune
> in AM to listen to a baseball game, all of the stations have horrible
> static, interference. Didn't always have this problem but now I do.
>
> Anybody out there experienced the same thing and have an idea as how
> to fix?
>
> FM & CD are perfectly clear. This is the standard AM/FM/CD unit that
> came in the 2000 323i sedan.

If you're still having this problem, I had similar problem on my 99 323i,
and apparently it's quite common for our cars.

The noise is sensitive to speed; If you're going slowly through a low
reception area, you'll hear click-click-click sound through the radio,
the faster you go, the quicker the clicks become. if you're going >30mph,
the clicks become a constant whine.

If that's the problem you're getting, the fix is really simple.
There's an antenna signal amplifier behind the panel of the driver-side,
rear column. just pop out that cover, check all the connections to make
sure they are TIGHT. Use pliers to screw in the coax cable if you have
to.

There's a nice HOW-TO page on the web describing this problem with
pictures and everything. I don't have the link, but you can search for
it. Good luck.

Old November 24th 04, 05:03 PM
tech27

"Jim Beam" > wrote in message
1...
> "STEAL" > wrote in
> news >
>> I know that nobody listens to AM radio anymore, but when I try to tune
>> in AM to listen to a baseball game, all of the stations have horrible
>> static, interference. Didn't always have this problem but now I do.
>>
>> Anybody out there experienced the same thing and have an idea as how
>> to fix?
>>
>> FM & CD are perfectly clear. This is the standard AM/FM/CD unit that
>> came in the 2000 323i sedan.
>>

> If you're still having this problem, I had similar problem on my 99 323i,
> and apparently it's quite common for our cars.
>
> The noise is sensitive to speed; If you're going slowly through a low
> reception area, you'll hear click-click-click sound through the radio,
> the faster you go, the quicker the clicks become. if you're going >30mph,
> the clicks become a constant whine.
>
> If that's the problem you're getting, the fix is really simple.
> There's an antenna signal amplifier behind the panel of the driver-side,
> rear column. just pop out that cover, check all the connections to make
> sure they are TIGHT. Use pliers to screw in the coax cable if you have
> to.
>
> There's a nice HOW-TO page on the web describing this problem with
> pictures and everything. I don't have the link, but you can search for
> it. Good luck.

Same problem here with a new 03' M5. Exactly your situation. Problem is with
window tinting. If you have a tint, that's the cause. Only cure is to put on
an outside mounted antenna (yuk).

Old November 24th 04, 05:49 PM
Panzer240

"tech27" > wrote in
.verio.net:

> "Jim Beam" > wrote in message
> 1...
>> "STEAL" > wrote in
>> news >>
>>> I know that nobody listens to AM radio anymore, but when I try to tune
>>> in AM to listen to a baseball game, all of the stations have horrible
>>> static, interference. Didn't always have this problem but now I do.
>>>
>>> Anybody out there experienced the same thing and have an idea as how
>>> to fix?
>>>
>>> FM & CD are perfectly clear. This is the standard AM/FM/CD unit that
>>> came in the 2000 323i sedan.
>>>

>> If you're still having this problem, I had similar problem on my 99
>> 323i, and apparently it's quite common for our cars.
>>
>> The noise is sensitive to speed; If you're going slowly through a low
>> reception area, you'll hear click-click-click sound through the radio,
>> the faster you go, the quicker the clicks become. if you're going
>> >30mph, the clicks become a constant whine.

>> If that's the problem you're getting, the fix is really simple.
>> There's an antenna signal amplifier behind the panel of the
>> driver-side, rear column. just pop out that cover, check all the
>> connections to make sure they are TIGHT. Use pliers to screw in the
>> coax cable if you have to.
>>
>> There's a nice HOW-TO page on the web describing this problem with
>> pictures and everything. I don't have the link, but you can search for
>> it. Good luck.

> Same problem here with a new 03' M5. Exactly your situation. Problem is
> with window tinting. If you have a tint, that's the cause. Only cure is
> to put on an outside mounted antenna (yuk).

Could also be cause by a bad sprk plug wire or a faulty spark plug. THe
nosie you describe sppears to be ingnition noise.

--
Panzer

Old November 24th 04, 10:43 PM
Fred W

Panzer240 wrote:
> "tech27" > wrote in
> .verio.net:
>

>>"Jim Beam" > wrote in message
. 191...

>>>"STEAL" > wrote in
>>>news >>>

>>>If you're still having this problem, I had similar problem on my 99
>>>323i, and apparently it's quite common for our cars.
>>>
>>>The noise is sensitive to speed; If you're going slowly through a low
>>>reception area, you'll hear click-click-click sound through the radio,
>>>the faster you go, the quicker the clicks become. if you're going

>>>If that's the problem you're getting, the fix is really simple.
>>>There's an antenna signal amplifier behind the panel of the
>>>driver-side, rear column. just pop out that cover, check all the
>>>connections to make sure they are TIGHT. Use pliers to screw in the
>>>coax cable if you have to.
>>>
>>>There's a nice HOW-TO page on the web describing this problem with
>>>pictures and everything. I don't have the link, but you can search for
>>>it. Good luck.

>>Same problem here with a new 03' M5. Exactly your situation. Problem is
>>with window tinting. If you have a tint, that's the cause. Only cure is
>>to put on an outside mounted antenna (yuk).
>>

> Could also be cause by a bad sprk plug wire or a faulty spark plug. THe
> nosie you describe sppears to be ingnition noise.

None of the cars being discussed in this thread have spark plug wires.

-Fred W
Old November 25th 04, 11:40 AM
Mike Hines

Ditto in my '95 540
The interference seems directly related to electrical interference. For
example, if I have and data showing in my OBC display, the interference is
worse. And the interference changes with engine RPM.
My guess is that something in the radio or antenna system is not grounded
properly, but I've yet to go looking for it.

Suggestions or alternate theories welcomed...

--Mike
(remove the teeth to send me a reply.)

"Fred W" > wrote in message
> Panzer240 wrote:
>> "tech27" > wrote in
>> .verio.net:
.191...

Old November 25th 04, 08:13 PM
Panzer240

Fred W > wrote in
:

> I said that hey do not have spark plug *wires*.
>
> They have the "coil on plug" configuration found in (almost) every
> *modern* gasoline engine design.
>
><http://autorepair.about.com/library/glossary/bldef-110a.htm>
>

> -Fred W

Well well interesting. Thanks for the links However it could I suppose be
a faulty COP or plug itself. Remember the first radio transmitters were
nithing more than a spark plug !!

Any was just a suggestion trying to be helpful.

--
Panzer

Old November 26th 04, 01:48 PM
Fred W

Panzer240 wrote:
> Fred W > wrote in
> :
>

>>I said that hey do not have spark plug *wires*.
>>
>>They have the "coil on plug" configuration found in (almost) every
>>*modern* gasoline engine design.
>>
>><http://autorepair.about.com/library/glossary/bldef-110a.htm>
>>

>>-Fred W
>>

> Well well interesting. Thanks for the links However it could I suppose be
> a faulty COP or plug itself. Remember the first radio transmitters were
> nithing more than a spark plug !!

I agree.

> Any was just a suggestion trying to be helpful.

Ditto here. I would hate for the OP to go into his mechanic and suggest
he replace the spark plug wires. He would surely appear mechanically
inept and a likely target to be ripped off.

-Fred W
Old November 26th 04, 04:29 PM
Chip BROWN

Yeah, and it could be a tumor......AM reception on BMW's has allways been
horrible. Some are better than others, but none are great.

"Fred W" > wrote in message
> Panzer240 wrote:
> > Fred W > wrote in
> > :
> >

> >>I said that hey do not have spark plug *wires*.
> >>
> >>They have the "coil on plug" configuration found in (almost) every
> >>*modern* gasoline engine design.
> >>
> >><http://autorepair.about.com/library/glossary/bldef-110a.htm>
> >>

> >>-Fred W
> >>

> > Well well interesting. Thanks for the links However it could I

suppose be
> > a faulty COP or plug itself. Remember the first radio transmitters

were
> > nithing more than a spark plug !!

> I agree.
>
> > Any was just a suggestion trying to be helpful.

> Ditto here. I would hate for the OP to go into his mechanic and suggest
> he replace the spark plug wires. He would surely appear mechanically
> inept and a likely target to be ripped off.
>
> -Fred W

BMW 5 series (E39) business radio removal TrueBlue BMW 5 June 20th 05 02:30 PM
dealer replaced radio, still doesn't work caburnham BMW 5 November 20th 04 06:08 PM
NAV PLUS RADIO bad reception SAPO Audi 4 July 20th 04 10:39 PM
WTB: Old VW / Audi radio Fred Mau Audi 2 May 20th 04 01:11 AM
radio is on safe mode bofromtherock Audi 2 May 15th 04 01:33 AM